Zi-O's Ending and Series as a whole.

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by Japaneseseriesfan, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

A little correction here. I meant villains as in "monsters". Ryuki had literal humans as bad guys yeah, but 555 turned classic formula of Rider fighting monsters on its head.

2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Do people seriously believe any crossover movie is canon?

PowerPhantom245 likes this.
  3. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

If the movie is the only thing that fills in the blanks about certain events in TV show, and the TV show itself makes reference to those events, then yes. Doesn't matter what Shirakura said if the movies and TV shows contradict that statement. Maybe some specific movies are not canon, and maybe the majority of the ones that are only have select scenes that matter. You just have to watch and be your own judge.

Besides, I am beginning to feel that whatever was said about crossover movies is either being taken out of context or just being misunderstood somehow. Canon or not, Toei needs those movies to be successful just like their merchandise sales. It seems weird to say something that would dissuade people from seeing the movies. I realize there was a time when movies really were just bonus features that had no impact on the show, but that's been slowly changing since the second half of the Heisei era. At least for Rider, anyways.

4. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

The only movies that could even be remotely considered canonical are certain ones like the Fourze/OOO movie and stuff like that.

I also don't like how Toei seems to be confusing people with Sentai either. Like NONE of the series since Dynaman are actually canonical with each other. You would not believe how many comments I get on my Ohranger video saying something like, "How can this show take place in 1999 when GoGoFive takes place in 1999?" I'm not sure if I should face palm or educate.

5. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

Techincally Drive's Taisen should be canon (since Drive's countiuning all its monsters, including the one from Drive vs Ninnin, which leads directly into Taisen), but not according to Shirakura.

Toei doesn't really care about past movies. They've stopped making Spring crossovers and have have been trying to connect summer movies to TV for quite some time.

6. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

Yes they are, with the exception of Kyuranger they all take place in one continuity. As for Ohranger/GoGo-V debacle it's simple: They take place in different regions of Japan. Lets not forget: One company from Megaranger had its logo in GoGo-V, a minor character from GoGo-V reappeared in an episode of Timeranger, and Ninninger had Kakuranger, Hurricanger, Magiranger, and Jiraiya as guest stars. That and the Zyuohger/Gokaiger crossover cementing continuity into each other. They don't contradict. Also Metal Heroes is in the same continuity so yeah.

7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

No, they don't. They are seperate continuities like Final Fantasy.

Your statement about GGF and Oh being in different regions doesn't work either as Baranoia conquered everyone but Japan, while in GGF, the rest of the world is just fine.

Just because there is a Hurri, Kaku, and Magi team in Nin does not mean those series take place in that universe. If they did, they would have talked about the Youkai being locked up by the Kakurangers instead of Ninningers from long ago. Gokaiger is in its own universe where all of the teams do exist.

8. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

I would like a reliable source stating this.
    We don't see the rest of the world in GoGo-V, it's all in Japan.
    It kind of does actually.
    The yokai are of two different species entirely. One is formed from a specific type of negative energy Daimaoh used, the other is created from objects using magic shurikens. It's like the short and long finned mako sharks, very similar but are not the same animal.
    Yeah, the main continuity. Explain Zyuohger's celebration episodes with them.

9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Ha, like I need to prove anything to you.

I need to see a reliable source stating the rest of the world conquered.

That's not how that works. If it did, they each wouldn't have their own Gashadokuros, Umibouzos, Kamaitachis, etc.

That still doesn't make it all in one universe. It doesn't work.

10. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

It would be effort to validate your position, I don't do this for the likes.
    You brought it up.
    It's literally in both series in the introductory episodes.
    Still waiting for that citation. If you can't find a citation then point out contradictions and continuity errors. I'm trying to give you leeway.

11. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Show me an episode of GoGoFive that states Ohranger is happening at the same time.

Show me an episode of Dairanger where they talk about Bandora attacking Earth.

Show me an episode of Kakuranger when they bring up what the Dairangers did.

You can't because none of those happened in each respective series. Even the Timerangers never mentioned any other teams happened.

12. Japaneseseriesfan

Japaneseseriesfan A simple passerby...

^ You guys can continue your thing, I'm just kind of here to say that, Hibiki also does have a story. At least, until Episode 29. It's a coming of age story that is using the Kamen Rider elements as it's backdrops. The main protagonist, for the first time, is not the main Rider, but a kid who aspires to be a musician. I thought it was a refreshing way to frame a Rider show. It's also meta, in the sense of "what does Rider ultimately mean for the youth in that age?"

The only thing about Hibiki is that it might be hard to get into it since it's such a drastic shift in terms of what's been done before it, as well as what's continued to be done after it.

13. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

Continuity errors are always going to be there. It's such a massive franchise.
    Toei has been treating Sentai as one universe for some time now. Even if we treat Gokaiger as their own universe (though I fail to see why, since they reference plot points from previous series. Wouldn't it make Gokaiger the default world then?), it directly ties to Goseiger vs Shinkenger. Go-Busters vs Gokaiger is tied to Gokaiger obviously and then you have Kyroyuger vs Go-Busters references it as well. Not to mention Zyuohger crossover. Spase Squad stuff references existence of Metal Heroes and other Sentai teams in various ways (as well as stating Kyuranger takes place in another universe). Then you have Super Sentai Strongest Battle directly mentioning Gokaiger events and other series (including a flashback to Kyuranger and referencing their meeting with DekaRed and Gavan). There are countless references to Dino House across VS movies.
    Finally we have Go-Onger 10 Years After referencing plot-point from Gokaiger AND showing a flashback to the first episode.
    It's a dumb thing with the past invasions, yeah. We just have to assume they aren't as big-scaled and devastating as we were led to believe.

14. Japaneseseriesfan

^ The best way to avoid a continuity error in a big franchise is to plan it all out before you even begin filming one frame.

15. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

Something happening in one series doesn't mean it didn't happen in that timeline. You still never debunked the Ninninger cameos.
    They had an entire final episode dedicated to that and a minor character from GoGo-V reappeared, very poor example.

16. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

No, they didn't. That was just a non-cannonical special to tell the audience about past teams. Do you seriously not understand the difference between what is part of the show and what isn't?

The crossover movies are still their own thing though even if Gokaiger put them in their own universe.

That wasn't canon, especially considering Ryusoul Green has no idea who the purple knight dude is in the show despite fighting him in that special.

What was referenced? I recently watched that Go-Onger special and there was nothing about Gokaiger in it.

Or we stop kidding ourselves and stop trying to fit each series into one bit world?

This is why they should have only stuck to VS movies to include older teams.

Think of Gokaiger and those movies as like Final Fantasy Dissidia. All of the characters exist in the Dissidia universe, but the actual stories themselves are in their own universes.

17. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

I see no reliable citation on your end.
    They are in one big world, it's been very obvious since day one.
    I've never played FF so you lost me.

18. Japaneseseriesfan

Actually no sorry to jump into your arguments here, but Captain Shark, Dr. Kain has a point. It's not "obvious since day one" when it comes to specials. I don't even watch Super Sentai, and I know for a fact that most specials aren't that are produced by Toei aren't canon. They're made for business purposes for promoting a new toy or to boost the toy sales of old ones. That's simply it. Anyone with basic literature and creative writing knowledge 101 knows this. But of course, you've declared literature as useless class, so obviously you aren't gonna change your mind on that. Either ways, you can be stuck being wrong, or you can admit you don't know as much as you'd like to think you do.

19. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

And I'm done. You're clearly too dumb to get it as you are blantantly ignoring that the Timerangers WENT BACK TO THEIR OWN TIME at the end of the final episode. As such, how could they just be back with Tatsuya to go through the various teams?

20. Shougo B'Stard

Shougo B'Stard Would like to change his avatar

Home Page:
    I don't understand why some fans feel like every show needs to be tied together -- or even is tied together. Team-ups are just for fun...and money. Each show's their own world, man. And even the few that ARE meant to have links -- Sunvulcan's only a sequel to Denjiman because they wanted to keep Machiko Soga and that's about it. They were better off just making her a new character since they had no real intention to incorporate much of anything else from Denjiman. Characters like Reggie popping up in Timeranger or Honami in Abaranger isn't meant to be anything other than a cute little easter egg.

JAKQ only shares its world with Goranger after the fact, in a movie that came out a year after JAKQ was on the air. You can't say anything was there "from the start," because it wasn't. Not even Battle Fever J realized it was the start of a new franchise, so...they sure as hell weren't laying down the foundation for some big universe.

I once saw a post on Rangerboard -- I think by the user Ataruman -- who had mapped out the various ways Sentai shows cancel each other out, so they can't all be a shared universe. What I remember most is the way this poster pointed out that the dinosaur-themed shows alone cancel each other out because they all depict a different way that the dinosaurs ended up/went extinct.

Anyone else think the Timeranger are being erased from existence in the finale? I definitely don't think they're showing up for some crummy clip show after that, man.