Yokai Monsters trilogy

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by Sinistar, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Sinistar

Sinistar (*.*)

I just recently found out about this trilogy of movies that ADV subbed, so I picked up the set. And they were friggin' awesome! I highly recommend them. Anyone else seen any of these?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qpgEE2xPSk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBqbtkICn2U[/ame]

2. volajuv

volajuv Member

i loved the first two, spook warfare & 100 monsters, but for some reason along with ghosts didn't really appeal to me as much

if anyone hasn't seen these, you could pick them up from amazon for pretty cheap by now

3. Raida|23

Raida|23 Member

Home Page:
    Yep, as volajuv said the first two are better -I suggest to watch the 3rd too, just to complete the series.
    Speakin of completin the series, though, take note that in 2005 Miike Takashi filmed a "remake" of the first one, Yôkai Daisensô, with the same title by the way. It's kinda different from the 1968 version, and it's also different from usual Miike movies, but it's enjoyable. I would say it's more of a fantasy film then an horror one.
    Produced by Kadokawa, it was, at the time, one of the biggest productions from Japan [in terms of budget]. This was something new for Miike, as he usually work[ed] with low budgets, but you see where the money ended:)

And there's Sugawara Bunta in it, as the granpa. He was good as he always is. On the girls' side, Chiaki Kuriyama. Nice as always:)

All in all, I suggest to watch the 3 original movies, and the Miike one. The originals because if you love old japanese movies from those years, you'll like these too, and the 2005 one because, well, because it's Miike we're talkin about. Genius at work in my humble opinion.

4. Kaiju

Kaiju Member

Daiei put out some great films back then :buttrock:

5. Flame of Udin

Flame of Udin Member

Agreed. I have to admit when I saw 100 Monsters for the first time there were some parts that really creeped me out.

I wasn't huge on Miike's rendition.

6. Daikamonohashi

Daikamonohashi Member

Home Page:
    I have this trilogy and the remake but I've yet to actually get around to watching the trilogy... >>

7. Kaiju

Kaiju Member

Make time for it :thumbs: