[Anime] WINTER Anime Season 2015

Discussion in 'Super GeekStation Climax: THE STARCADE' started by Mirage_Frost, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Mirage_Frost

Mirage_Frost Lurker

until you mentioned it, I didn't see any blog posts. The hyperlink color and text color are almost, if not exactly the same colour

2. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Well I loved the first two shows that I checked out this season. I've seen the first episodes of another two but this time I'm not sure yet how I feel about them

Yatterman of the Night. I haven't seen the original Yatterman (or it's remake) but I was aware that it was a comedy where a trio of Team Rocket style villains called the Doronbo Gang battled the titular heroes. So I was surprised when it turned out that the sequel opens with a very serious, almost grim episode in which the Doronbo Gang's caring and innocent descendants decide to fight back against the now oppressive and heartless Yatter Kingdom. It's not bad, it's just really not what I was expecting. :eyebrow:

Next up, Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE, a typical magical girl show in every way but one - these are five boys. The dialog is very self-aware (there's even a line where they warn the monsters that it's tripping defeat flags, Akibaranger style) but the first episode is more nudge-wink than outright parody. It isn't laugh-out-loud funny unless the basic idea of males performing magical girl tropes especially tickles your funny bone, so I'm hoping they can push it into full-on Akibare territory.
    Well I'm not quite sure yet how it will manage it with only one regular male character, but if the psychological fantasy/horror becomes a BL show then at least there's going to be one hell of a story arc to explain it. :laugh: Though I'm not sure I want to know what a barman who keeps hanging corpses in the back room is going to find kinky. :O_O:
    Yeah since we moved to the new version of the forum links have become almost invisible. I've taken to underlining them as standard now otherwise you just don't notice that they're there. :shakefist

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

So my g/f watched the first two episodes to Death Parade and apologized to me as she said her Yaoi anime site lied about it being Yaoi.

4. billySEEDDecade

billySEEDDecade Lurker

After watching episode 3 of Kantai Collection, I kinda expect that this will be just like Fafner.

5. Mirage_Frost

Mirage_Frost Lurker

I like Kantai Collection, I've been trying to get into Fafner Exodus but I just can't. The mech's look alright and them running on emotion is interesting, but it seems kind of dull and the people animation bother me so much for some reason...I keep expecting them to put on makeup and become clowns. I could barely stomach it while watching Majestic Prince (same animation studio/style right?)''

Watched Rolling Girls for the hell of it. Love it. Maccha Green is like the Kamen Rider equivalent in that show and it has crazy fights. I don't get who're the "Takumi?" though...

6. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

I tried watching KanColle but stopped halfway through episode two. The action looks really nice but it quickly became obvious that the show would have very little of it and was really just focused on cutesy schoolgirl dorm-room antics <sigh>. That's not much of a hook for me. I'd read reviews of Rolling Girls that compared it to FLCL, but that really wasn't accurate so as much as I appreciated the Sentai reference I didn't bother beyond episode one.

I've dropped Yatterman Night. Anime News Network's episode reviews are praising it as the dark horse series of the season but I find it curiously joyless for a superhero show. Cute High Earth Defence Club LOVE Word Salad is juuust hanging on for now, though I haven't seen episode three yet. But I've still got Garo, Shirobako and JoJo on the go from last year so I've only barely been able to find the time for Assassination Classroom and Death Parade.

7. billySEEDDecade

billySEEDDecade Lurker

Have you watched the first series and movie? Since I think Exodus is the sequel of the movie and I think you would like it better after you watched those.

The second episode is only about Fubuki's training so it doesn't have any fight scene, and the writers pretty much use this episode to introduce the casts' antics. There's plenty of fight scene in the third episode, although the transition from hand-drawn to CG is still sudden, and also a sudden increase in yuri. With the ending of the third episode, I think the series will be more serious and less about the cutesy antics of the girls. Also, isn't Yatterman no Yoru is intentionally joyless? Since my friends said that it's like the Megaman Zero version of Yatterman and it's a lot darker from the original.

8. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Oh hi there, voice of the Gaia Memories. I was not expecting you to cameo in Death Parade of all places. :anime: Still loving this series. It's a show about making judgements that makes you question every single one it issues and the methods used to reach it. And it has the most chipper OP ever for a show that's all about death :thumbs:
    Well maybe I'll give KanColle another episode or two if I have some extra spare time at any point then. I'm pretty much resigned to not getting any of the in-jokes and references though.
    The setup would suggest that it's being serious. Bleak world with protagonists living in third world conditions who want revenge on the people who live in luxurious paradise and have let it corrupt them. And then you have the protagonists trying to do that by making a giant fist on wheels that they drive around and "finger flick" robots to pieces. It just doesn't quite gell together in a way that I enjoyed, though other people's mileage may vary.