What exactly is wrong with TV-Nihon subs?

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by kamil88, Feb 16, 2012.

1. sgtkira

sgtkira Super Kamen Sentai Rider

While I have seen that pattern, I can assure you that was not the reason their Dai finished like that. They started up again from ep 35 a few months before we even released the whole shebang. They actually would have been done a few days or even a week after we released ep 50, but then their site went down and everything got screwed up.

They were releasing Dai at a "normal pace" as of late. So that's good for TVN Dai fans :)

2. resident:alien

resident:alien Member

Home Page:
    I was going to post something, but after reading this thread through there's no need as SWITCHBLADE's post reflects my sentiments 110%.

I can only add that at the end of the day, we're all still watching a kid's show. AND WE'RE NOT WATCHING JUST ANY SHOW BUT A KID'S SHOW! We're not talking about prime time television, we're not talking the English Premier League, we're not talking NBA, we're talking about a kid's show! A KID'S SHOW!

Kudos to a civil discussion; threads like these usually turn ugly and get put in the internet's circular file.

That's my two yen.

3. KingRanger

KingRanger Banned

You kept saying kids show kids show, but you never made clear what your point was. And talking about switches post doesn't make your KIDS SHOW thing any clearer.

4. resident:alien

Home Page:
    It's a kid show.

Dictating how fansubs of these said shows (especially these kid shows) should be done a certain way (and only a certain way) while disrespecting the opposing opinions and preferences of others for the sole purpose of inciting flame wars is utterly absurd.

"If you can understand what's happening on the show and the subs aren't totally made up bullsh!t... it's all good in the end."

:)

5. Mou...Mou...TAUROS!

Mou...Mou...TAUROS! I'm A Djinn

Perhaps that translations for a kid's show isnt something that really should get people hot and bothered about.

Kids show or not, ppl are free to do as they wish. They can sub the way they want, and they can choose to watch which sub they want. At the end of the day there can't be a perfect translation. And like Gekidan said a while back, it's all about preferences.

Some people like their subs "complete" and early to the punch.

Others dont mind the wait, are not gonna die from reading TL notes, aren't averse to picking up a japanese term, connotation or two, and are utter suckers for flashy effects and karaoke.

Do you have to pick one over the other. Not necessarily.

Do you have to bash one over your choice to other people? It's a free world, it's your call.

We may not share the same tastes in subs, heck even in toku shows, but at the end of the day, other ppl hating something I like couldnt possibly affect my life a single bit as I am sure I wont affect theirs (and if it does, I would honestly pity them)

So go enjoy the sub that u like better, or pick up both, and comment however and whatever you like. that's why we're all here reading and posting.

6. KingRanger

KingRanger Banned

So that they are kids shows only matters if one side is disrespecting the other sides opinions on the matter? Or can people not discuss this issue because they are kids shows? Could people discuss this if it were about adult J-drama's?

7. resident:alien

Home Page:
    Exactly... what more needs to be said?

:thumbs:

8. lpoi

lpoi Member

this is their explaination

not sure if this explaination is acceptable anot.

for me, i agree tvn is not the best, but it is decent. for some reason, i like their font (font does not means their special effects).

some people had mentioned about the translation of names. would you prefer "himitsu sentai goranger", "secret task force goranger", or perhaps "secret task force five ranger"? i do prefer "himitsu sentai goranger", though i don't mind "secret task force goranger". i do mind "secret task force five ranger" though

everyone has their own opinion, and we should not be shooting down on other's opinion just because it is different from ours.

9. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Takenoko's just kind of wrong there. Even a modicum of research into Japanese sources makes it clear that Fourze writes the character's name as キグナス. I think what is confusing him is that English conventionally pronounces the Cygnus with an S sound at the beginning, so he was trying to figure out why there's a K sound in the katakana and settled on the weird Kyknos thing.

The real issue is that Cygnus's name has a Greek source, so Fourze is basing the pronunciation phonetics on how Cs work on Greek and Latin-- they only make the hard K sound, as per the English word cook. You model that in katakana with the ki/ka/ke etc family. A lot of Greek and Latin loan-words into English had their pronunciations corrupted over time, so that most people have the C at the beginning making an S sound, as in the word celery.

In short, over time English speakers started pronouncing Cygnus wrong. This sort of linguistic drift is really common when you deal with Greek and Latin loanwords into English. For example, look at the way most English speakers say the Latin loan word caesar, as in a caesar salad. The word's original pronunciation was more like that of its modern-day German derivative, kaiser. What is now an S sound in English was originally the same hard K sound as in Fourze's pronunciation of Cygnus.

That's not even necessarily a best translation of "Goranger," since the name is also supposed to be a pun on goren, a word that has to do with contacting someone else. Translating double puns like that into English is really difficult, almost not worth the effort.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  10. Solari

Solari New Member

Hmm, there may be some truth in what Takenoko said in wanting to differentiate the Cygnus as a character and Cygnus as the constellation. Re-reading the toei site for fourze, they use キッグナス when referring to the character and キグナス when referring to the constellation. Note that there's a small tsu in the first Cygnus but not in the second.
    As in 「キッグナスことキグナス・ゾディアーツ」 transliteration in romaji: kiggunas koto kigunas Zodiarts
    (from the writeup of the preview for ep 24).
    It may be a small difference but it is a difference.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  11. kuroihikari

kuroihikari Member

I dunno... It's a glottal stop difference, not the difference between a "g" and a "k". His argument would've worked if they had used something like "Cyggnus".

12. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

It's a difference that would be Cyggnus vs. Cygnus if you translated it literally, which I think would actually be much less appropriate than differentiating the spellings non-literally as Kyknos and Cygnus. In katakana, you can write a lot of loanwords in two different ways, so both Cygnus spellings are still just Cygnus.

Sometimes Japanese writers play with this to introduce subtleties into writing that can be extremely difficult to translate. I think in this case, though, the two different spellings would probably be for ease of reading, so you know which use of Cygnus is intended from the brief website blurbs.

13. Zelalem

Zelalem Member

TV-Nihon's video quality looks better to me, Over-Time looks very blocky and pixelated. But, when it comes to the subs, I have both on my hard drive and I enjoy them equally.

14. bleachjoj

bleachjoj Member

To me Overtime is clearly has better video quality. It just looks better compared to TV-N compressing hard sub flies into AVI format.

15. Zelalem

Zelalem Member

I don't know, maybe there's something wrong with my player.

16. Glamador

Glamador Member

Well, the way Glamador decides on a sub is to download the first and second episodes from both, watch them side-by-side synced and see who has the better timing, more nuanced sentence structure, and various little extras.

Over-Time for instance almost never does asides or sign translations or radio/TV broadcast translations. In the first episode of OOO for instance (Glam watched OOO with OT subs) I was totally unaware that Ankh was making so many hand-related puns until viewing it a second time w/ TVN subs.

OT repeatedly translating "Onii-san" as Ankh's host's proper first name bugged the crap out of me. "Shingo" or something. Anyhoof, Glamador doesn't mind the honorifics at all. Though the use of -tachi is quite unecessary since it's just the Japanese way of doing group pronouns like "they" or "we" but specified to a group. "Samurai-tachi" could easily be translated as "those Samurai" and "Kotaro-tachi" or similar as "Kotaro and the guys" or "Kotaro's family" or whatever else depending on the context.

All in all TVN uses more flowery language, preserves the cadence of the original Japanese so I can at least attempt to follow along with the actors speech, and has much nicer fonts due to using hardcoded subtitles.

Unless somebody can point out some really GLARING translation errors, TVN's subs are just overall more pleasant to watch.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  17. Painted_Outlaw

Painted_Outlaw The new Tendou Souji

[​IMG]

The apocalypse is gonna center on this thread.

18. cosmos89

cosmos89 Lurker

I used to choose TvNihon because i love their flashy subs.
    When Wizard first aired, I watched the subs from both TvNihon and Overtime.
    I chose Overtime in the end because of a mistake TvNihon made. I asked them about it and this is the answer the gave me.

http://www.facebook.com/tvnihon/posts/413503492031184

19. Glamador

Glamador Member

Yeah that's something that REALLY bugged me when I watched that episode w/ TV-N's subs. It's a shame they sought to defend it when it was so clearly wrong from the context...and evidence from throughout the show afterwards.

People don't like being told they're wrong. Even so, it's one mistake and a matter of interpretation at that.

20. Dessa

Dessa Fangtaku

Honestly, I don't like either of them that much.

But since OT
    a) cuts the honorifics (I hate when the honorifics are cut)
    b) has questionable translations (I don't know much Japanese, but when I know what the subs say is wrong? Or when they substitute the spoken Engrish phrase for a different English phrase?)
    c) they fifteen (unforgivable)
    ...I pick the lesser of two evils. I hate TVN's fancy text crap, but I'll take it over OT.