Ultraman region free dvd's with excellent subs

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by ultrakamenriderman, Mar 5, 2012.

1. ultrakamenriderman

ultrakamenriderman Lurker

I've purchased several region free dvd's from a dealer on ebay/ioffer, specifically the last four Ultra movies and also Mebius gaiden Ghost Reverse. These were put out by a company called Emotion, and they all have excellent english subs. Does anyone know anything about the co., where they are located and if they have a website? I'd love to see if they have anything else of interest.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. sgtkira

sgtkira Super Kamen Sentai Rider

They're bootlegs, dude. Most of the time, if something's region free, then it's a bit sketchy (in general), but in the case of Ultraman, you probably bought either HK subs (which are bootleg), or GUIS' subs on actual DVDs. Only things that have English subs are the original Ultraman, Tiga, Tiga & Dyna, Tiga & Dyna & Gaia, Ultraman THE NEXT, and the Mega Monster Battle movie. Original Ultra is considered bootleg because of a long rights dispute, but that's Region 1. Tiga is also Region 1, along with the crossover specials, THE NEXT is Region 2, and the MMB movie is Region 2. See a pattern? None of them are Region 0, and Region 1 is for US, and there's only been 2 series released here and 2 specials released here. Tsuburaya thought "Fuck let's appeal to US fans and release subs for 2 of our movies", yet they are STILL Region 2, which is for DVDs in Japan. There are some things that are Region 3 (released in Hong Kong), but if it has English subs, then it's probably going to be a bootleg. There is very little Toku with legit English subs out there.

Now, if you're okay with that, then do as you like, but be aware that you're not giving Tsuburaya a dime and you're just paying some random dude who probably actually took GUIS' script and slapped it onto a disc. Hell, even if he translated it himself, he is still selling these without Tsuburaya's permission, and taking money away from them and putting it into his own pocket.

3. KingRanger

KingRanger Banned

Bootlegs. There is no legit toku sold on iffofer.

4. sgtkira

I think I saw some VHS there. Is there any possibility those would be legit? (RAW VHS tapes.)

5. ultrakamenriderman

That's a shame, cause these are very well done. Definately not hk subs, the english is outstanding throughout the movies. And I doubt if the subs were taken from G.U.I.S. Well, not the Mebius movie or the 8 Ultra brothers since G.U.I.S. hasn't subbed them. I haven't compared the Zero dvd's to G.U.I.S.'s version though.

6. KingRanger

KingRanger Banned

It's like possible, but back in the day people sold copies of official toei tapes. I had some with carranger and dairanger.

7. Shynilyte

Shynilyte Shyni

Home Page:
    I have a Revenge of Belial DVD with me, and it's got English subs. The package says it's region 3, and it's got what appears to be the correct copyright info. It also says "for sale within Malaysia and Singapore only" in small text on the cover.

Here are pictures of the packaging, front and back. (I didn't take the pics myself, by the way, found the pics on an ebay page)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Is this legit? The DVD definitely works, by the way. At least my copy does.

8. sgtkira

Fushigi-chan subs did the Moebius movie, not sure about TVN. I think the Ultra 8 Brothers was done legit by Tsuburaya, but as I said, they are DVD 0 so they definitely aren't legit at this point (could have taken those subs and sold them again). Compare them whenever you can, and they will most likely be exactly the same.

Nevermind. The VHS I was referring to is gone. And people do still sell VHS tapes, but some forget that, while VHS is vintage for collectors like myself, the value should be close to worthless since DVDs are out.

As I mentioned above, only what I posted are legit subs for Ultra. I may have forgotten about the 8 Ultra brothers movie, but that movie you posted is definitely bootleg. Ultraman is only legally available for distribution (with subs) in Japan right now (Region 2/R2).

Original Ultra in the US is technically considered bootleg, Tiga and the other specials concerning it aren't in circulation anymore (hence the large prices), and THE NEXT and MMB movie are the ones that have English subs and are legally available in Japan.

Region 3 can still have bootlegs as well. Especially when English subs are involved. Most of the time they are Region 1 (US) or Region 0 (Everywhere) though, but they can still be Region 3. Malaysia is also known for it's bootlegs.

9. Shynilyte

Shynilyte Shyni

Home Page:
    Thing is, I've seen some things that are more obviously bootlegs of Malaysia, and they lack the proper copyright info. Also, the companies that did this DVD also did lots of episode releases, and those were not subbed in English. Not to mention that their episode releases tend to be higher priced than Malaysian KR bootlegs. They had Tiga episodes, released with 3 episodes per disc, at RM 12.90 and Mebius at 3 eps per dis at RM 19.90, while more obvious bootlegs (as in without proper copyright info) would carry an entire show of 50 or so episodes at less than RM 100.00 Do the math, that's a significant difference. Although, I wouldn't be surprised that these more legit-looking ones were still going for too low prices compared to the proper releases, even if they cost more than other bootlegs.

I'm a bit confused, really. Also, these Malaysian Ultra DVDs look like they're all from the same companies (all packages for these have "movie master" and "Speedy" cited as their distributors), unlike what I've seen of Malaysian KR bootlegs. Making it look as if these guys actually acquired a distribution license. But I don't really know, honestly.

Also, I do know that a Malay dub for Ultra Galaxy movie was released, also sporting the same company logos, and that dub was later shown on Malaysian TV (I only have a Google cache of an old program guide to show, sorry). As in, the dub was released on home video, and later shown on TV. That just makes me less inclined to believe these are bootlegs, unless Malaysian TV was broadcasting without Tsuburaya's permission. Or somehow, they got a license to dub for TV, but not to make a home video release. Again, I'm just confused.

10. Oblivion

Oblivion Lurker

I heard some from someone on this forum that Speedy bought the distribution rights to Ultraman in Malaysia or something along that line. I forgot who it was though, but yeah Necktie I have the save dvds as you do.

11. sgtkira

That's the point. In today's world, who would you trust. A shady dealer, or a sticker that says "We have the rights to it!" Also, they could have the rights to distribute it RAW, but I don't think Tsuburaya would let them release them with English subs (I say that if you bought them, just check them against fansubs).

Also, I remember reading that they bought those rights from Chaiyo. So, if one company buys the rights that another company illegally got... yeah, bootlegs XD

Not to sound like a dick, but would you be able to link me to that?

12. Shynilyte

Shynilyte Shyni

Home Page:
    Huh, apparently, Speedy Video Distributors did get mentioned by Tsuburaya on their website. (scroll down for the entry dated 10/07/2010) But it only mentions that they were doing an exhibition somewhere. No mention of whether they hold any home video licenses.

Edit: wait, somebody on another forum mentioned that Speedy had the license for Malaysia and Singapore. But it was just a comment on a forum.

edit again: Speedy's official website, back in 2010 had this picture. (opening an archive of their front page proper got me redirected to their catalog as soon as the front page finished loading, for some reason. So, static image link.)

13. sgtkira

That's good to hear. Still have to question their English subs though. I suggest comparing them to GUIS, just to be sure. And if it's similar, then it's obvious that they stole from them.

14. Oblivion

Oblivion Lurker

Nope, I can't. It was on a PM conversation I had and I have already deleted the PM. I'm not saying I'm creditable, just saying what I heard.

15. zogu

zogu Member

Being in Singapore, I bought the Revenge of Belial DVD way back in June last year. Besides two noticeable grammar mistakes, on the whole the subs are different from GUIS. Speedy is a licensed distributor for many years now. Just because they provide english subtitles in their DVD releases does not mean that they steal from fansubs -_-

16. ultrakamenriderman

Along with the movies I mentioned earlier I also purchased a box set of Ultraseven X with excellent subtitles, which are far superior to what TV-Nihon put out.

17. Oblivion

Oblivion Lurker

So is it safe to conclude that Speedy's Ultraman DVDs are legit? I'll be really bitter if they aren't, since the dvd cover and everything else seems legit and Speedy's had been known to sell originals. Then again we are talking about Malaysia.

18. Tom Constantine

Tom Constantine Chief HJU News Editor

Home Page:
    No, they aren't legit sadly. The packaging on some of them are quite good, but the quality varies a lot from set to set from audio to video. Some even have hilariously bad English dubs too.

This isn't limited to just Ultraman, I've seen Sentai and Kamen Rider sets which use OT and TVNs translations or actual hardsubs. They're in shops everything. The same goes for quite large collections of J-Dramas and anime, Speedy shops are jammed packed full of them.

19. Shynilyte

Shynilyte Shyni

Home Page:
    ^ I've seen those KR sets and anime stuff, but most of the time, the KR bootlegs lack proper copyright info. Toei is not mentioned on the KR DVDs (at least for the most part), for example, just some generic "un authorized copying is not allowed, yadda yadda". But the Ultra DVDs do have Tsuburaya credited on the packaging. Also, a Malay dub for Ultra Galaxy that first came out from them was later shown on Malaysian TV. Makes little sense they would take a dub from a bootleg. And also, um this.

Besides those, Tsuburaya did mention an exhibition Speedy video did in Malaysia on their very own website (scroll down for the entry dated 10/07/2010). Just, makes sense that the people conducting it have had some business dealing with Tsuburaya previously, doesn't it?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  20. Oblivion

Oblivion Lurker

And I'd got a pretty nice Ultraman Mebius paper bag when I purchased the DVDs. So far everything for the Mebius movie dvds seems pretty legit. But yes, the animes and j-drama collections are still definitely bootlegs.