Ultraman 2016: Begins in July

Discussion in 'The ORB - News & Rumors' started by Aoi Kurenai, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Aoi Kurenai

Aoi Kurenai Mad Skillz

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2016/02/16128/

It's been announced that a new Ultraman show will begin later this year in July, just in time for the 50th anniversary of the original Ultraman series. We don't anything else about it yet though.

2. Jacky392000

Jacky392000 Open Your Amazons!

YAAAAAS!!! :buttrock: I wonder if they'll still use back the Spark Dolls though...

3. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Poor Ultra Q gets overlooked again :disappoin

4. DaikaijuSokogeki!

DaikaijuSokogeki! New Member

Home Page:
    To be fair, we did just get a new Ultra Q series three years ago. But it's just not as popular or merchandise-friendly as Ultraman is.

5. PalleteRider

PalleteRider New Member

6. Jacky392000

^ yeah, saw one of the pictures posted on Facebook a few hours back and wasn't sure if it was legit. seems like it is! so Orb is Tsuburaya's very own Decade/Gokaiger huh? I hope this new kid will be as great as Ginga S and X were. I did my own research and it seems like they finally ditched the Spark Dolls gimmick.

7. Aoi Kurenai

Aoi Kurenai Mad Skillz

The human host is named Gai Kurenai and uses the Ultra Fusion cards in conjugation with the Orb ring to transform. Interesting to note, no defense force toys are listed in the text version of the toy catalog.

Ultraman Orb and his main forms:

[​IMG]

Specium Zeperion - based on Ultraman and Tiga

[​IMG]

Burn Mite - Based on Mebius and Taro

[​IMG]

Hurricane Slash - Based on Jack and Zero

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  8. Aoi Kurenai

Aoi Kurenai Mad Skillz

Here's our lead, looks like it's Hideo Ishiguro, the guy who played Kai in Den-O.

[​IMG]

Starts July 9th at 9 AM

[hide][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/hide]

9. Jacky392000

wowzers at the amount of info! :O_O: I really like that Ultraman/Tiga fusion and those horns are seriously too big to represent Taro, c'mon. he looks more like Ultra Father. Ishiguro Hideo is a surprise, but it's good that they decided to go with an older experienced actor rather than another newbie. aaaaand it starts on the day I fly off to Tokyo. :laugh: I'll still be there on the following Saturday, but man...

10. DaikaijuSokogeki!

Home Page:
    I quite like Orb's design, although the name seems a bit uninspired (then again, so were Ginga and X). That transformation device also looks rather unwieldy. Interesting choice of going with an "older" actor instead of a fresh young face. Gives me some interesting vibes about this show. That, plus no confirmation of a defense force yet gives me a feeling this could be a very different kind of Ultraman series. Here's hoping the staff is announced pretty soon.

11. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Is there any word on whether this will be another short show or a full 50-ish episode one?

12. Aoi Kurenai

Aoi Kurenai Mad Skillz

Nothing yet.

Ultraman Retsuden did recently move to Saturday mornings at 9 AM, the spot Orb will be airing in, so I think that might point to this being another short show-within-a-show like the last three. This is also the 50th anniversary so it's hard to gauge how things might go.

13. DaikaijuSokogeki!

Home Page:
    They've been getting progressively longer in episode count though, so I'm thinking this one will be half a year long at minimum.

14. scikaiju

scikaiju science experiment gone wrong

Home Page:
    I wish the turn in to/using the different powers of past heroes gimmick would die out already, and they're fusing two at a time for this one. but being a anniversary series I guess it's kind of understandable. Need to see more of Orb main form before I can make a judgement on how he looks.

15. Ryuutaros

Ryuutaros "Training."

Okay. Ultraman + Tiga makes sense. Taro + Mebius makes sense. Why the hell is Jack paired up with Zero? Shouldn't it be Leo instead?

16. Jacky392000

I still don't understand why people are still demanding for 50 episodes. isn't it better if it's NOT 50 episodes? I feel that the shorter the series, the more story driven the show will be. we don't need to see the cast members doing things that are irrelevant (or should I say unnecessary stupid comedic things?). I also think it's a way for Ultraman to not go overboard with its gimmicks. also, 50 episodes is such a chore these days. :laugh:

17. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

^ I'm not demanding anything. I'm just asking so I'll know what type of case I'll need for when I make my DVDs.

18. Aoi Kurenai

Aoi Kurenai Mad Skillz

I don't really think that statement works with Ultraman. Ultraman shows generally aren't heavy on serialized story telling and rely more on stand alone episodes to give their characters time to shine and a longer series probably wouldn't do much to hurt that because there isn't a long running story that could potentially grow stale.

19. DaikaijuSokogeki!

Home Page:
    Agreed, Ultraman is way more character and idea driven than the more narrative driven Kamen Rider franchise or the formula driven Super Sentai. A longer show benefits Ultraman strongly, one of Ultraman X's big weaknesses was that its characters were pretty bland and undefined.

Speaking of X, that show's head director, Kiyotaka Taguchi, is returning in the same position on Orb.

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2016/04/first-details-ultraman-orb-emerge/

20. Jacky392000

yeah, I won't deny that the cast wasn't really memorable but doesn't change the fact that X was an awesome show. oh and while we're discussing about it, it's officially stated on the Tsuburaya official fanpage that Orb will have 25 episodes! that's a good number. I like it. now let's hope there's a defense team...