Thoughts on Disney PR finales

Discussion in 'The Power Chamber' started by seanrider, Nov 1, 2009.

1. seanrider

seanrider Member

Since the end of RPM is near, and the end of PR as we know it is near I was wondering what are your thoughts on Disney PR finales?

Well lets run through all the Disney era finales in my point of view(excluding WF for obvious reasons...)

NS Storm Before The Calm - Not a bad finale, I never liked NS so I didn't really pay attention to this finale I was just glad the series was over.

DT Thunder Struck-Very good finale, I thought DinoThunder ended to early and it could of easily had another season with the same cast. Tommy had a really good send off and it really showed how he passed the tourch onto the next generation of rangers. The Bobble Head Mesogog fight was intresting, minus the costume design of Mesogog of course!

SPD Endings- Rushed Rushed and more Rushed!!!! What started off as a good season just imploded by the finale into the abyss that is Kalish(NOOO!!!)

MF Mystic Fate- Surprisingly a good finale. The only 2 episodes of MF I liked. I was shocked when I saw Rita Repulsa and I really loved the way they used her(I know it makes no sense in continuity but get over it! It was great to see her and she had a really good scene when the bad guy was taking over her palace) I also really liked when the people of the forest and the people of the village helped the rangers to regain there power. I thought it was a wonderful moment in PR history and it really reminded my of C2D for some reason.

OO Crown and Punishment- Dont even get me started with OO, there was a total of 5 minutes of OO in which I actually enjoyed and that was the total time that Adam was in the series! OO was the worst season with the worst finale!!!

JF Now the Final Fury-
    Not bad but not great. RJ RJ RJ!!!! Casey bitching what can I say else about it?

2. Quark

Quark Bandito Shake Cometh

Casey didn't bitch in the finale. It was the two parter where he got to be cool.

3. Shirubaa

Shirubaa Lurker

He was never cool...he was a disgrace to that suit.

4. jwk94

jwk94 Member

Was Rita Repulsa Magiel?

5. Destiny Rider

Destiny Rider Blazing king of the rails

Mystic force threw that in for two reasons as far as I can tell (<-key words). The first was in honor of Machiko Soga, who had just passed away that May, and the second was to explain the resembinace so they could get away with the first reason.

6. Matrix

Matrix Matrix of Leadership

Agreed. Bad decision for a Red Ranger disney.

I think DT had the best ending, and, is the best disney series if you ask me?

7. Destiny Rider

Destiny Rider Blazing king of the rails

well, atlest he wasn't an abosulte goof ball.

8. Quark

..He was cool in the finale.

9. Sentaifan'07 Xman

Sentaifan'07 Xman "Let's DRIVING!!!!!"

Yep, the actress who played Magiel was in fact Bandora (Rita Repsula's True Actress in the stock footages)

Yeah, I didn't really like Mystic Force that much, but what really griped me was that Disney was too damn cheap to have Barbara Goodson reprise her roll as Rita/"Mystic Mother" for the finale. It would have cool if they had done that.

Now, personally I thought Ninja Storm's ending was alright. Dino Thunder was pretty much epic enough, Jungle Fury's ending was more of:meh:

But SPD and Operation Overdrive's Endings bite the big one as the worst Disney-PR era endings of all.

And since we're talking about the Disney-Era of Power Rangers ending, here's a little treat for you, kiddies:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ4upuKPlsk"]Disney-era Power Rangers Tribute[/ame]

It's a killer.:laugh:

10. ForeverRed

ForeverRed has left HJU. Not coming back.

Saban's PR finales > Disney's PR finales.

11. seanrider

seanrider Member

ForeverRed, its time to stop stating the obvious here!

12. Quark

Didn't even make it to two pages. Sad.

13. Forever Knight

Forever Knight Eye See You

Home Page:
    Damn right. :thumbs:

14. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Skreeong!

Dino Thunder's ending was pretty amazing, the final fight against Mezagog was cool.

Mystic Force was okay.

but i loved S.P.D's final episodes, those were the bomb.

15. shinkenblack

shinkenblack Lurker

More like bombed to me.

16. Quark

I thought endings was enjoyable, it had all the makings of a decent finale. You got the whole heroes fighting against all odds angle going on. They tied off Sam and Isynia's stories. A final face off between Cruger and Grumm. We even got Boom stepping up and leading the troops in the absence of the rangers.
    Unfortunately it suffered the same problems most of the season had. Confusing to poor characterization (especially in Jack's case), and story contrivances. The finale is very much like the season itself, and... it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

17. Skyknight

Skyknight Lurker

Ninja Storm: Fun storyline that tied up loose ends and attempted to be ambitious with locations, failing to an extent...there's just no way I'll buy a carnivale situated in a cow field in NZ as the sight of the World Sports Games.

Dinothunder: A real drug trip that illustrated just how reckless Tommy is as a mentor figure. Mesegog's demise wasnt the best final battle we had. I thought his final recknong with Trent in his collapsing island was a better send-off, and it wasnt as if it was a plot requirement to strip the Rangers of thier powers. DT Rangers would go on to make two post-finale apperances with their powers restored...and in the latter storyline, restored obnoxiously easily.

SPD: Endings was superbly directed, and Part II had more meat than the first. Greg's input was still there, it's hard to fault this other than Omni had flawed character development and there wasnt much investment, plus Kruger's wife turning up alive really didnt have to happen

Mystic Force: Jackie saves this one with the awesome Koragg vs Koragg battle, but it did more to illustrate that MF could have been doing storylines like this all season and decided just to coast lazily on Magiranger

Operation Overdrive: Bruce's best finale. Told every story in a short amount of time, didnt insult the viewer and had Mack's suicide run come to it's natural conclusion. "Disney ending" didnt take away from a strong resolution to the storyline and a good, budget-friendly fight sequence.

Jungle Fury: Almost scene-for-scene Gekiranger's finale, I don't watch PR for Sentai and vice versa. Probably not the best way to go out, a shame, as JF is Bruce's best season and showed that if he cared enough, he could do PR justice.

18. SaikoDragon

SaikoDragon It's Judgement Time!

Ninja Storm: I loved this finale. Mainly because I loved Ninja Storm. It just felt like old MMPR to me. It brought me back to the days of rewatching recorded episodes on tape, over and over again. The monsters still had some unique voices, the villains had personality, and the rangers themselves were just fun for me to watch.

But the finale had an all out brawl with every monster the rangers had defeated, every general that was destroyed, and even some monsters from the abyss that the rangers never had encountered before.

The final battle against Lothor was a bit anticlimactic but I still enjoyed it. However I have to say Lothor's devastation of the Ninja base was excellent. One of the more thrilling and edge-of-your-seat set destruction I've enjoyed from power rangers.

Dino Thunder:

I agree with this. Tommy's line of "destroy the zords" came from no where, plot wise. There was no need to destroy them. Zeltrax's trashing of the base was nice. But the entire plot on Zeltrax was dropped and picked back up so randomly that I just wasn't that interested when his efforts resulted in a random battle with the rangers and the eventual destruction of the base.

Mesogog was always a brute. He had dinosaur-like strength and a powerful intelligence that made his lessers respect him. When he transformed, he was definitely more powerful. He batted away the rangers as if they were nothing. So it was a fun final battle in many respects. Just like the final battle with Ransik. This mad house, tossing rangers left and right like a real boss should be doing.

SPD: Loved it.

Can't say anything more than this. The zord battle with Omni was great and I'm happy they really pushed for something original.

When I saw the promo for this finale I got chills. Save the Earth.

Mystic Force: I wasn't a fan. The Koragg vs Koragg battle was incredible. But evil Nick came out of nowhere. I really wished they would have explored this "dark side" to him more in the season as a build up to this moment. Instead, the moment felt more like just that. A moment. Something 'cool' that was just supposed to happen. But i still enjoyed it.

However the rest of the finale was just Magiranger. I didn't enjoy Magi's finale. And I didn't enjoy this one. I did like what they tried to do with Rita but the Master felt weak to me. I really wanted an original battle with the bastard to make him seem more imposing. More of a real threat. Something that said "the darkest of dark is here and believing might not be enough."

I just felt let down with a season that I really felt was a step up from previous seasons, story-telling wise.

OO:

I just can't agree with this though. I hated OO. I dont know what it was. The plot devices were nice. But just the amount of explosions. It made the episodes unbearable to watch. I just stopped. I came back into the series only when Mack was revealed to be an android. That episode was just incredible to me.

The finale felt basic and by-the-books. Base is destroyed, stuff explodes, rangers look cool as they fight for their lives and the big baddie goes down. Normally I would have supported the executioin of it but I did not feel attached to the characters. I wasn't moved by the moment.

When Wes charged into the army of Cyclobots with Eric's morpher on his wrist, I cared. I was hooked. I was in the moment. I was afraid for the guy. He sent his friends away to save their lives and the world and his rival, Eric, had just passed away in front of him. All of time was collapsing thanks to a maniacal man-turned-bot-thanks-to-hatred-and-racism. And all hope seemed lost. and when you saw those rangers return, despite Alex telling them that destiny and fate was against them... you cheered. You saw Lucas flipping through a throng of lasers and Katie flipping cyclobots with her incredible strength and you cheered.

With OO, I didn't feel any of that. There was the potential there to make fans really grab onto something but it wasn't close enough for me.

The entire Silver Ranger side story was weak. His missing girl just comes back without any real effort from the writing team. They did this in SPD but at least in SPD, it felt like they tried ( against their will ). But here it's like they just didnt give a shit about the storyline nor did they even want to try to make it work for them.

Jungle Fury:

I almost wish it was scene-for-scene. I really enjoyed Long's plot and how it grew and evolved into Geki's finale.

I have to applaud the team for trying. But they only reused ideas here with no real execution. Seeing all the generals return and some of the baddies was nice but it was also random and felt rushed.

the battle against Red and Jerrod/DaiShi was nice. It had that epic quality to it.
    =========

Out of the finales, the only ones I really liked were Ninja Storm's and SPD's. But those two were my favorite seasons of the Disney era so I'm biased.

And to be honest, some of these finales were so forgetful for me that I had to look them up on youtube to remember what the heck happened in them

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  19. Ryudo

Ryudo Lurker

Home Page:
    Dino Thunder was the best IMO, although the fanservice of seeing Rita at the end of MF was awesome.

That said, they suck even when compared to Lightspeed Rescue's finale. :anime:

20. Kane

Kane Member

Dino Thunder's was the most solid.

SPD and OO's were painfully bad and rushed.

MF's was Kalish's best finale.

JF's end was too weak and predictable. It never felt epic or like anyone was ever in any real danger. Geki furries didn't help.

NS was okay but forgettable.

I have faith RPM will easily top them all.