The Star Trek Thread - Number one....ENGAGE!

Discussion in 'The Power Chamber' started by MetalSymphony, Apr 21, 2011.

1. ForeverBlue

ForeverBlue The Cookie Man!

I'm a big Star Trek fan and I call myself a trekkie! I go by JayTheTrekkie at The Omega Sector BBS board (stopped going there a couple years ago...activity there have been pretty low in the past few years).

Anyways, my favorite Star Trek series is The Next Generation and Voyager. I have the TNG seasons on DVDs and have yet to get Voyager.

Favorite TNG characters: Picard, Riker, Worf, Data, Troi and Ro Laren (recurring character)

Favorite Voyager characters: Janeway, Tom Paris, B'Elanna Torres, Tuvok, The Doctor and Seven of 9

2. SaikoDragon

SaikoDragon It's Judgement Time!

Isnt that like the main cast with exception of Dr Crusher and Jordi? lol What's also interesting to note is your favorite characters are also the ones with the most character development and stories.

Speaking of favorite characters, I think Data is my favorite because his side stories are always very thought provoking. I enjoy the idea of machine trying to become a man and his stories also carry a sad tone.

I used to like Riker but in the later seasons, Riker reminds me of a blowhard supervisor or something. He hates it when people go over his head and yet, he shoots people's ideas down without second thought. You'd imagine that being under the tutelage of Picard would teach him to hear out unorthadox plans and consider them. Instead, Riker shoots the idea down and is surprised when people go around him. People are going to go around you, Riker, when they feel like you are closed off and won't listen.

I can just imagine Riker being a captain and people disobeying his orders constantly to "prove their plan right."

The episode where Riker meets himself from the past is really telling of his changes.

3. JFC

JFC ♥ 大好き ♥

Ever wonder what it would sound like if "Kiss me" by Sixpence none the Richer was sung in Klingon?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2bjc6U0tjI"]HIchop! - YouTube[/ame]

4. SaikoDragon

what the fuuuuuu

5. Skyknight

Skyknight Lurker

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnnLWdwAFTA"]RARE EARLY STAR TREK COMMERCIAL AD - YouTube[/ame]

6. MetalSymphony

MetalSymphony Banned

7. SaikoDragon

that commercial was awesome. Loved seeing Riker at the very end. "Think you're in the wrong circle".

8. SaikoDragon

So I finished TNG and it was sad. I actually will miss seeing new episodes, seeing the cast doing what they do. That was a really good show.

I started DS9. Does it get better?? Seriously? Because the first episode was rough, I mean fucking Klingon forehead rough. I remember watching a couple episodes, late at night on UPN and liking it. But my god, the first episode was fucking terrible.

9. Shougo B'Stard

Shougo B'Stard Would like to change his avatar

Home Page:
    :(

I love DS9 and remember being pretty much hooked from the pilot. I mean, it's bumpy and an awkward transition if you just finished TNG -- the whole first season can be bumpy -- and while the pilot contains very important elements to the overall series, I don't think the first season is at all representative of the series as a whole and where it goes.

I say...if you liked the TNG episodes centered on Ro or the Cardassians, that should give you an idea about the tone DS9 develops. I think one of the best episodes of TNG was when Picard was being tortured by the Cardassian played by David Warner, and when I read someone say that those two episodes were close to DS9's style, that got me interested in checking it out. (At the time I had been hesitant to check out any of the Trek shows that came after TNG, because I was afraid they'd be too much like those cheap syndicated shows that are just Trek wannabes)

One of the things that drew me in about DS9 in the pilot was how it reminded me of a Western -- the sheriff who strolls into a lawless town, trying to establish authority. It's a weird, Cardassian-made station (which the Cardassians trashed before they left), the Bajorans are in charge, there's non-Federation aliens from all over the universe filling the place, and Sisko and his son are just thrown into it, when Sisko would rather be anywhere else. He's broken and miserable, but needs to be the glue to hold the place together. Since Roddenberry based the original off of a Western, I thought this was a neat, different take on doing the same.

Now, someone should try to convince me that Voyager is worth staying with. I feel silly that I've seen every other bit of Trek (even The Animated Series), but just couldn't stand Voyager. I've watched only the first season and was just like "Ugh, I don't think I can take six more seasons of this." It doesn't help that I don't like a single cast member.

10. NMuench

NMuench The Decade Everyone Wants Dead

Home Page:
    DS9 doesn't really hit it's stride until Season 4, you'll have to suffer through the first 3 seasons, but it's worth it.

Also this is one step closer to happening.

11. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Star Trek Into Darkness - Wow, it took 5 months, but this is the first movie this year that has actually been really really good. The characters were well done, the one liners were funny, the plot was interesting and had some plot twists I did not see coming. I do have a few nitpicks with the movie, one of them includes they pretty much brought in this blonde woman who is there just to create a love interest for Kirk. There are also some pacing issues I have with the movie, especially in its first half hour. Outside of that though, the movie is great. Harrington (played by Sherlock's actor) easily steals the show and turns out an incredible performance. Once again every scene with Simon Pegg is phenomenal and all of the one liners from Bones are hilarious. There is nothing after the credits so you don't need to stay through them if you don't want to. This movie does a great job of not sabotaging the first movie and keeps your body moving through the entire thing. Yes, I went there for those of you that I know as to what I am referring to. :) Overall, I give the movie a 9/10 and it is by far the best movie to come out this year!!

Oh yeah, by the way, who else is expecting gay fanfiction to come out of the scene when Kirk and Spock were touching each other's hands through the glass? I could not help but laugh and facepalm.

12. Herman the German

Herman the German Treasure Cards of the Underworld

To be fair, that was primarily part of her role in the original timeline as well, though. :V

13. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I know nothing about Star Trek outside of these last two movies.

14. Herman the German

In my opinion, yer missing out, then. The new movies are alright, from what I've seen, but… there's much more to the franchise than that, really.

15. SaikoDragon

I'm willing to give it a shot. I watched episode 2 and 3. Episode 2's beginning was really rough as well. I mean. Bashir is like... really pushy. I mean annoyingly pushy. "You like the hot chick we get it." But it did get better when the murder mystery began. I liked ep 3 generally though that Tailor was feeling up poor Bashir. dayum.

16. NMuench

NMuench The Decade Everyone Wants Dead

Home Page:
    As for Into Darkness. The first 90 minutes were good, then [HIDE]they decided to directly rip off Wrath of Khan and the end of Voyage Home,[/HIDE] I wanted to talk out, but I did the alternative, and facepalmed.

These new movies, there's something off. I can't wait 3 years until the 50th anniversary and the DS9 movie[HIDE]I wish, when hell freezes over. Better chances for another TNG movie.[/HIDE]

17. SaikoDragon

I felt the exact same way about Into Darkness. Loved the movie. I felt that they did step on or re-tread Wrath of Khan for the ending just too much. It was blatant and not necessary. But I still loved the movie.

18. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

It's reasons like this two below why I will not bother with the original stuff:

Wow, a rebooted universe that has events happen similar to how they happened before, Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

How dare history still have similar situations with different outcomes.

People take some of these things way too seriously. And given the nature of how I have been told that Star Trek movies have usually turned out to be down right awful or boring, you guys should just be glad to have two well plotted, well packed with action, with character development, movies in a row.

19. Herman the German

There's several reasons why I think history repeating itself like that shouldn't quite work like that in my opinion, but, that aside, the first new movie wasn't particularly well-plotted to me to begin with, hence I'm waiting for the free-TV-airing on this one, as well. Too much action, not enough actually interesting plot. :B Not that it matters what I think since I have sh*tty opinions. :V

20. KingRanger

KingRanger Banned

I have to wonder when people complain about "action" in a Trek movie. I mean would you rather have 2 hours of technobabble?