The Official Now Playing Thread: Za Next!

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by Forever Knight, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

[Crunchyroll] Ultraman Nexus #01-05

I watched a couple of episodes of this show back when it was only available via fansubs. Getting a little further into it this time, I still can't help but feel my enjoyment of this show is being held back by all the tedious grimdark. I'm hoping they ditch it soon otherwise I may abandon it (again!) in favour of checking out Gaia.

2. Solid Snake

Solid Snake Member

It gets much much better halfway through. Keep watching it!

I'm watching Ghost #9

3. scikaiju

scikaiju science experiment gone wrong

Home Page:
    Starting up rewatching Ginga/Ginga S on crunchyroll before rewatching Nexus.

4. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I finished the Kakuranger DVDs today and I also started Megaranger tonight and got through the first 7 episodes. This is actually my first time watching the show subbed so it was kind of nice. The opening episodes are still majorly slow though, but there are things I like about, especially the villains. Hineler and Yugande are pretty awesome. The concept behind a video game designed to pick soldiers is kind of dumb though. Like why didn't they pick that Arcade Bully guy since the kids talk about how great he is at the game? Obviously I'm just coming off the high of Kakuranger though, so I might be being a little overly critical because I did enjoy them, just not as much as I was hoping I would now that I'm seeing them subbed. It's still an interesting dynamic despite how dumb it is and the cast is likable even though I don't really think the world should be leaving saving the world in the hands of high schoolers. In the real world, we would all be ****ed.

5. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Watched episodes 8-11 of Megaranger tonight and man, it is so weird that the series just suddenly jumps into having 22 minute episodes out of the blue. I feel like it kind of hurt the show's pacing a little bit as you really do feel the extended running time. Nevertheless, these were some damn good episode, especially the one with Yugande's battle and the Rose monster one. The two bat monsters were kind of cool, although I don't know why the writers had this obsession with using a bat monster twice in a row. They didn't even have a throwaway joke about it. Oh, and getting to learn about Dr Hineler's past already was a nice detail as we don't usually see a Sentai series do something like that until closer to the end of the show.

6. Hraklea

Hraklea New Member

Finally got the time to watch Den-O again (stopped after episode 24). Someone told me it was the best rider season, and for some reason, I believed him.

Finished episode 30 yesterday, and seriously, everything but Zeronos and Deneb is terrible. The show is almost as bad as Gaoranger. Hopefully, my next rider season will be better (probably Amazons or Kuuga).

7. Heckhound Breaker

Heckhound Breaker Member

Currently watching Zyuohger, KR Ghost, and Amazons.

8. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I don't hate Den-O, but the series really isn't that great. I also think Zeronos is a terrible character and his acting is god damn awful. Although, he has improved since his days of ruining Hibiki. However, Den-O is just a subpar show. It is way too childish at times, they do a complete recast of one character and just make a throwaway comment about it, but never do anything to resolve the issue later, and the movie tie in was lame and a waste of 3 episodes. I will give it one positive though, the final episode is at least satisfying.

Kuuga is way better, but its ending sucks ass. Haven't seen Amazons yet, but I hear it is a return to the Heisei form over that kiddy crap we have been getting lately.

9. Hraklea

Hraklea New Member

The thing that bothers me the most so far is that it seems that everybody but Nogami knows how time "works", but for no reason, they refuse to explain. Then, after 5~10 episodes, Nogami simply stopped asking. Maybe I missed something?

Hopefully, the end of the season will answer some of my questions.

I've seen a lot of people saying that Amazons is more adult-like. I'm really curious to see it.

10. BrownRanger

BrownRanger Lurker

Home Page:
    Secret Squadron Goranger #11 (Rampage)

Rescue Squadron GOGO V #2 (Imagination Station)

11. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

So aside from watching Jyuohger every week I pretty much took a break from watching anything subtitled for most of May. Now I've got a massive backlog of ongoing toku and anime to catch up on. I'm back up to date on Amazons and Garo Makai Retsudan. Now I'm just indulging in a bit of Dynaman before I get back into Ghost. Then I'll catch up on the Gavan subs and at some point watch the Drive Saga film. Man, it was a busy month!
    It's probably in my top five or six Rider series, but then I love a superhero coming-of-age story and Rider does love to do series like that (they've done two more since Den-O!). There's some good stuff in Den-O if you can get past the slapstick, even though the show would probably have done better to spell them out instead of providing the pieces and expecting the audience to figure it out.
    Visually it's more The First/Next but with the kind of CGI blood you'd expect from something like Garo. It's not really related to the original Amazon in any way aside from a few names for things.

It took me two episodes to get over the whole "woo it's not for kids" thing and I considered dropping it after episode four. My main issue is that the lead character is a walking collection of Inoue tropes - wandering around staring into the distance in a vaguely depressed way, asking lots of faux-philosophical questions about his own existance and being miserable because he can't get answers from people even though he hasn't asked them.

Thankfully in episode six the main character finally declares that he will punish the wicked and protect the weak, before charging off to fight the latest monster while the show's theme music kicks in. It took them nearly half the series to get there, but they finally remembered that he's meant to be a Kamen Rider.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  12. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

We watched another batch of episodes today after helping our friends move. We're now up to episode 28 and the episodes we watched have been fun, I really love the diversity with the ranger cast and that they are trying to develop them. Unfortunately, the villains have taken a turn towards the generic as they are doing absolutely nothing right now. They haven't done anything with Hineler being a former friend of Kubota's or anything. Also, Girell has been pretty bland thus far and both Yugande and Shiborena haven't done a thing.

My favorite episodes though are the ones with the killer moth and the Antlion. I just love the episodes when characters are constantly being tossed around between various environments. As for the killer moth one, I did like seeing how the characters dealt with the concept of dying even though the viewer knows full well they are safe.

Oh, Mega Silver is kind of cool. I like the idea that he is using a prototype suit and he puts on a nice change of pace compared to the other rangers being high schoolers. The whole "You aren't allowed to be Mega Silver" aspect is getting a little stale though and for him being able to only stay transformed for 2.5 minutes, he sure seems to be able to do A LOT.

BTW, something I forgot to bring up that I found really interesting. Episode 18 of Megaranger has Kouchirou meeting the spirit of the forest, who hates humans for trying to destroy him, and he ends up having to save the boy from the monster of the week.

Power Rangers Turbo had the exact same plot but with TJ.

Is this a coincidence? Did one of the shows rip off the other? They both would have aired arond the same time, so I'm not sure.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  13. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

And that's a wrap on Megaranger. Well, except for the Mega vs Car movie, which I have never seen before.

Anyway, overall, the show was really good despite a few misteps. Girell was absolutely worthless and brought nothing to the show that couldn't have been done without him. On the other hand, the Neziranger arc was freaking awesome and the highlight of the show, I just wish they had done it a lot sooner in the series. Hell, it would have made a lot more sense to have them be the cause for the Mega Voyager upgrade. The stuff with Hineler was also great, but it was under utilized as we really should have got more insight into his backstory a lot sooner too. It would have added more to the relationship between him and Shiborena instead of being a last minute reveal.

The ranger cast was done well, but once again blue and yellow got the short end of the stick. Shun had a really great episode at the beginning of the show with his mom and then when he lost his memory, but other than that, he didn't have much of a story. As for Chisato, she got a really terrible episode with her grandmother (was that the lady who played the aunt in Ryuki?) and that was about it. The majority of the development went to Miku, Kenta, and Kouichirou. I did like how they sparingly used Mega Silver, but there were a couple of situtations where it didn't make sense for him to not be around, especially since it was after Mega Voyager and Mega Winger were there.

Finally, the mech battles got really boring after a while. This show really suffered from having to have a mech battle every episode (sans the premier Neziranger episode), especially since Galaxy Mega was introduced immediately. It is easily the second weakest entry of the 90s, but when compared to the other 39 series out there, it is a pretty strong entry regardless of its shortcomings.

14. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Eh personally I thought Megaranger was pretty awesome. My main complaint would be that the final battle with the Nejirangers feels like the climax of the series, making everything afterwards feel kind of underwhelming. It's my favourite of the late 90s series I've seen so far and it might be in my overall top ten.

15. Hraklea

Hraklea New Member

I'd put it on my top 5. Despite the insane amount of fillers and the crappy Girell arc, the ending arc is great.

16. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Oh, I think the show was awesome, it just isn't in my top 10 as I think Dai, Kaku, Zyu, Geki, Car, GoGoV, Aba, Jet, Time, Gokai, Ginga, and Live are better series.

17. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

18. Hraklea

Hraklea New Member

I'm watching the last 3 episodes of Kamen Rider Den-O tonight. After many episodes hating the season, things are finally starting to make sense. Unless they mess up at the very end of the season, I'll have to admit I was wrong and Den-O is actually a very good season. Its comedy tone still doesn't work very well for me, but I can see why people like Den-O.

Tomorrow, I'll take a break from toku shows and finish Fullmetal Alchemist. Not sure if I plan on finishing Go-Busters or if I'll watch something else after that. I've heard a lot of good things about Garo, I might give it a shot.

19. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I do like the ending to Den-O, so you should enjoy it.

20. Hraklea

Hraklea New Member

I've seen many people say that the "problem" with Den-O is how it ends, so I was always like "I already don't like the beginning, you're telling me the end is worse???". I usually give a lot of value to the ending arc of a toku show.

It seems those people were wrong, after all. :)