The History of the Power Rangers - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Power Chamber' started by Silver Wolf, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

To be fair, it's not like the characters really do anything until like episode 8 when Warz Gil and Barizorg first meet the group face to face.

2. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

And also to be fair, he did notice that the other characters do have motivation behind their actions, even though the first 5 episodes don't really cover that enough. He made a One Piece joke here, but fans of One Piece may very well find themselves liking Gokaiger. It really is a team of nontraditional pirates, each that have their own personal aspirations but are drawn together as a team anyways.

But that VR Troopers joke. Ouch... Even as a joke, I felt the poison on that one. Can I get an amen on that?

3. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes New Member

"Felt the poison?" It did seem like it was a jab at there being rangers he didn't recognize or something like that.

While I ultimately enjoyed this review, there were a few things I found disappointing. To wit: I really wanted to hear his thoughts on the older Sentai teams' outfits, since he's always making commentary on the suit designs in Power Rangers. I wanted him to react to Battle Fever J, dammit! Instead not only does he not mention them except in passing, he also doesn't mention the ending theme at all.

I am glad though that someone else saw a Gokai Green/Doctor Who connection. Seriously I think of Colin Baker every time I look at Doc.

Also that "Navi" joke works on more levels than even Linkara knows....
    since the Greatest Treasure in the Universe turns out to be the Triforce, almost literally

On that note, if he ever watches later episodes, I do hope he comments on the thing I disliked about Super Megaforce. To wit, the one time I actually tuned in to that show, it was to see an adaptation of the episode where Joe sees Barizorg use that special move from his master Cid (and you can tell a Final Fantasy joke will be forthcoming) and realizes Zorg is Cid mechanized. Megaforce turned this into just them being distraught that the enemy has a really strong attack, removing any and all character arc from it. I'm also weirded out by (as I probably mentioned before) that in Gokaiger all the rangers are aliens EXCEPT Gokai Silver, whereas in Megaforce he's the only one who IS an alien.

But then, Linkara's not inclined to compare the two. Maybe I should do my own video, but I'm not even sure where to start.

4. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes New Member

I was gonna wait and link to this on the same day that I post my own video about Super Sentai, but that looks like its gonna be awhile... anyway, I actually posted my response to his "The Hobbit" review.

Since this forum now has an annoying habit of turning all links into thumbnails, I'm not even gonna bother with the URL code and just post it

here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0UZjxwEX8E

5. Shogun_Master

Shogun_Master Why is every good TV show Cancelled

Well, I finally saw the first Gokaiger vid. Entertaining as always.

6. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes New Member

Yeah, honestly his Sentai reviews have been awesome.

7. Shogun_Master

Just to make sure I'm not off here, Linkara never did any more of Zyuranger besides the one episode, right?

Although, from that one, I'm not sure if I should be looking forward to Kakuranger, or dreading it. At least the only weird stuff in Dairanger was massive holes in the logic of the plot...:redface2:

8. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

What do you mean? Kakuranger is amazing and the second best Sentai series ever.

9. LaZerwolfX

LaZerwolfX Henshin a Go-Go!!

"He said; brimming with subjectivity."

10. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes New Member

I was confused as to what Shogun_Master meant, thinking "did Linkara say he would review Dairanger or Kakuranger?"

I still want him to see Battle Fever J and gawk at Alien-Barbiedoll-Miss America.

Power Rangers and Super Sentai caused me to realize something. All those people who claim to have seen UFOs and Aliens over the years, like Whitley Strieber and them? They were abducted by Power Rangers. Shadow People are just the monsters of the day that haven't been fought yet. The ancient Chinese legends of the red king who rode atop a dragon's head? yeah, look at the opening of Dairanger.

And then I realize that Sentai teams have included Aliens, Time Travellers, and Espers, and.... oh god... [that Haruhi dance song starts playing]

11. Shogun_Master

The only Sentai series I've watched all the way through was Dairanger. I bought it out of curiosity & to support Toku releases because I really, really want them to start doing Kamen Rider. I picked it over Zyuranger mainly because people seem to feel like it was the best Sentai series there is, & I liked it overall. However, assuming that is true, I may have screwed myself Sentai-wise because I have to say it wasn't a very good show. So much crap happening for dramatic convenience that makes no sense & an underwhelming & kind of confusing finale.

I still plan to try out, at least, one more-- Kakuranger is what I'm planning-- but after watching the Zyuranger review & seeing plot convenience, bad character motivation, & double the silliness, I'm not exactly turned off, just kind of wondering what I've gotten myself into...:redface2:

12. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

You got yourself into a show about grown ups in rainbow colored spandex fighting monsters. It's not going to make sense.

13. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes New Member

Yeah, what Dr. Kain said. Expecting Tolkien-level writing from Sentai is like expecting it from Power Rangers. None of the Super Sentai are groundbreaking meccas of storytelling. What they are is damn entertaining romps.

14. Hraklea

Hraklea New Member

While I'm inclined to agree that Dairanger had a bad last episode (but it doesn't hurt the epic ending arc, in my opinion), I must ask... which Kamen Rider seasons are we talking about? All seasons I know (actually, all tokus I know) suffer from the "dramatic convenience" issue.

15. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes New Member

Yeah to be honest I'm always confused when people act like Kamen Rider is somehow inherently superior.

I understand it though, if he simply is able to get into KR easier than Super Sentai. In my case personally I'm the opposite--the only KR I seem able to watch is Black (probably because of nostalgic connection to its bastardized Saban adaptation) and sometimes the original. The rest seem just kinda boring to me.

Actually if I may ramble for a minute, one inherent flaw I think Kamen Rider has is that I don't really see its premise working as a franchise. Like Super Sentai, it uses the trend of "a new Rider each year." But Rider has a lot of aspects I feel are way too "specific" or "detailed." Each season you have to come up with a new guy who was turned into a powerful being and for some reason rides a motorcycle (or a car or a hanglider). Super Sentai I think lends itself more easily to yearly franchise installments, because all that's really required is introducing a team of five people who fight wearing spandex armor, and come up with somebody for them to fight.

Then again I've watched more Sentai than I have Rider so I may be talking out of my ass, and I may not have made much sense in any case.

16. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I can't say Kamen Rider is better than Sentai, but at the same time, some series are better than others. For me, Dairanger and Kamen Rider Blade are the greatest Toku series ever made thus far.

Now if I was told I could only watch one Toku series for the rest of my life Dairanger would be my choice.

17. Shogun_Master

Well, I know I haven't seen any of the pre-kuuga ones, but for whatever reason, I tended to enjoy & get into Kamen Rider more than I did Sentai. But, I would honestly buy any Kamen Rider series if they were put out, whereas- at best- I'm probably just going to pick & choose Sentai at random. And, I'd generally have to say that I moreso blame the time period Dairanger came out than the people who wrote it or the audience it was meant for.

Power Rangers also has similiar issues, but what's good about it outweighs the bad more often than not, so I can still enjoy watching it. But, I think what really annoyed me with Dairanger was I started enjoying it because of a really great arc- the Kou/ Kibaranger one- which was not only done pretty damn well, but seemed to also be the thing that jumpstarted the writers. I sincerely had trouble caring about anyone in the show other than Kazu & Kaku until that point & afterward the entire cast really started to shine. And then, literally almost every single one of those arcs worked their way up to a great conclusion and failed to deliver (except, for some reason, for Kaku's arc) Ryu & Jin's storyline worked it's way up to Jin being even more unstable than we thought & Ryu being delusional, then there's no real resolution to that, Daigo & Kujaku was derailed by a "plot convenience" death that didn't make sense, as was Kou & his mother. The Dragon God thing went nowhere. Neither did Kou turning evil.

I think it's a Transformers 4 issue. When you do certain things good, it makes the stuff that's terrible look even worse & stand out like a sore thumb.:redface2:

But, whatever the reason, I don't really have that problem with Kamen Rider. With only a handful of exceptions, I tend to get & stay pretty invested. Hell, I admit I'd even buy the season DVD of Wizard if they put it out, let alone the ones I think are actually good, or wouldn't know one way or the other...

18. Hraklea

Hraklea New Member

Inherently is a strong word. But I must admit I like the complex stories of Kamen Rider (Heisei era) better than the straight forward stories from most Sentais.

I'd say that, in general, Kamen Rider is better than Super Sentai (for my taste, of course).

Again, you seem to be describing almost every toku I've seen so far. :p

Don't get me wrong, I love toku shows. But almost all seasons I watched dropped the ball somehow at the ending arc (and I'm only saying "almost" because I'm not 100% sure, but I can't remember a ending I actually reeeally liked...). I don't see why Dairanger's flaws is worse than other tokus' in your eyes, but it's fine - people are different. I don't mean to disrespect you.

19. Shogun_Master

Yeah. Whatever the actual issue is, I guess I'm having a difficult time pinpointing it...:redface2:

But, at least it's entertaining enough. I do hope Linkara decides to do some more of these videos, though.

20. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes New Member

Yeah, there's stuff I try to express that I don't know how to pinpoint either. I kinda mentioned this in a recent vlog about what makes opinions "objective" (Link: http://www.zippcast.com/video/114d63756a5763f7221 ) and in it I tried to express that I judge entertainment on a sort of "tier" system--like I love Sentai, but I would never ever say its comparable to Tolkien, who I generally place pretty highly. At the same time though its not like I can just say everything would be better if it were all artist-controlled, because without some aspect of marketing things like Super Sentai would likely not exist to begin with, and that would be terrible.