The History of the Power Rangers - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Power Chamber' started by Silver Wolf, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Except he hasn't watched Gokaiger, so your argument is invalid.

He reviewed the Dragon Ranger arc. That was it.

Does it really matter? We enjoy talking about it. Plus, it's not like there are a lot of options to go to for Toku reviews be it Sentai, Power Rangers, Kamen Rider, etc.

Is he required to do so? He shoudln't have to watch the Sentai series just to review the Power Rangers version. They're two separate entities. That's like telling someone who reviews Voltron or Robotech that they need to watch Golion and Macross first. There is nothing more excruciating than watching something because you have to rather than want to.

2. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes New Member

You'll note that the first few words of my statement were "I found it ironic."

A person who has no interest in a foreign counterpart, and then saying "I wish this American show had feature X, Y and Z" without knowing that X, Y, and Z were heavily featured in said foreign counterpart, is pretty much the definition of irony.

EDIT: Also, that's technically not an "argument." Arguments are trying to force a point of view. That was simply pointing out something I had noticed, mostly because it amused me. Which does not infer an attempt for force a view.

Even so, you'd think it would still be worthy of interest or discussion.

After all, people still find interesting things to say about his regular reviews--which, I remind you, are often just reviewing single arcs of long running comic books. Is his review of One More Day not interesting simply because he didn't read and review all of Spider-Man previous?

I don't think anyone is saying he is. Most of us came to peace with his decision a long time ago. Part of what made reviewing Zyu interesting to me, in fact, was the simple fact that he made an exception. Which is exciting because it opens the door to more exceptions. And like you said, its hard to find sources for Toku reviews.

3. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

Linkara has always made weird choices that don't always make sense. Choices that I also respect, like many others, but still find odd.

Linkara has gone on record saying that he prefers to review comics he hates because there is more material for him to satirize and critique. This makes no sense to me because plenty of people can still make a good review and make fun of the things they like. If you have a passion for it, and maybe took other view points into consideration, you can review anything. You don't HAVE to be just another angry critic. But that's Linkara's choice to make, not ours.

Linkara actively avoids reviewing Sonic comics whenever he can. He said that Sonic, to him, is a video game franchise first and that's how he wants to keep it. Good instincts, but any long-time fan of Sonic can tell you that the comics are actually an Alternate Universe based on the games, cartoons, and just about everything that has ever come out with the Sonic name on it. Reviewing an AU version of something should be just fine, but again, his choice to make. Not ours.

Linkara doesn't want to watch or review Super Sentai, and while weird, I actually understand the logic behind his choice here. Many reviewers and critics have said they think that good things should be able to speak for themselves. You shouldn't have to know about outside materials or anything else to fully understand or appreciate the story you are observing (Example: You shouldn't have watch all other Transformers cartoons or read any of the comics to enjoy or understand the plot in the live action movies). Sometimes this logic can create a double standard, but the idea is not necessarily wrong. Linkara is just following that logic here. You shouldn't HAVE to be familiar with Super Sentai; Power Rangers should be good enough to stand on its own without making you feel like something is missing. His reviews might sometimes be ironic because of this, but they are necessary.

As someone who has thought about being a reviewer or critic, I'd be too tempted to compare at every step. I usually watch the Super Sentai version first, then Power Rangers if I'm feeling generous. I've seen others do the same thing; get completely caught up in the compare and contrast aspect. Sometimes, people don't want that. They want a fair and balanced review that focuses only on the one subject matter, not both. And I feel like, at this point, it'd be a moot point anyways. Even if Linkara made an exception and decided to review a Super Sentai, I fear he'd be too tempted to make comparisons, and we might have to suffer through a number of his comments that would basically translate into "Power Rangers did it better". Again, more irony, considering Super Sentai did it first.

4. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

The problem is that he talks about plots and characters, like they've been created by PR writers. Except, they are not. Most of seasons adapt storylines and character development from SS (and most of the time adaptation is really loose). I can understand, say, not watching Ohranger, while analysing PR Zeo, because there was almost no adaptation of character development or even general plot, but then you have seasons like Samurai. If Linkara actually bothered to watch Shinkenger, he would have understood that pretty much all of the good elements there came solely from Yasuko Kobayashi's writing. Understanding things like that really changes your perspective of the season (in this case, it helps you understand what kind of garbage PR Samurai is). On the contrary, some SS seasons help you appreciate the amount of creativity PR team put in production (Megaranger, Abaranger, Go-Onger etc).
    You can watch Power Rangers without Sentai knowledge and enjoy it, but if you want to analyse PR, Sentai knowledge is essential.

5. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

It doesn't matter though, Power Rangers is still its own thing.

6. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes New Member

Admittedly I do get annoyed by that, but I'm sure there's already a ton of people posting in his comments to tell him this stuff so its not a major issue.

Really the only thing Linkara ever did that was outright unforgivable was his ass-ignorant statements about Tolkien's writing in his Hobbit review. Sorry Linkara, but a guy whose own attempts at writing were pretty subpar doesn't get to criticize an Oxford Professor. I'm actually thinking of doing a youtube response just so I can quit ranting about it here.

7. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

Sorry to go off topic for a second, but...

Do it, man! If you have the passion and a huge load of thoughts, go for it. Don't even think about if someone's done it before.
    As someone who wants to try and make a podcast sometime this year, I'd definitely want someone to support me by giving me encouragement. So the least I can do is treat others the way I would like to be treated.

8. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Wow you seem to have a major bee in your bonnet about that. I can barely remember that review and I've never seen it mentioned elsewhere as "controversial".

And frankly if Tolkien was an academic then critical review would have been a constant of his professional life anyway. I doubt he'd have given a damn. :sweat:

9. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes New Member

Thanks, SamuraiEchidna. I too am trying to put together reviews (in particular I'm thinking of liveblogging Avatar the Last Airbender while putting together reviews of The Dark Knight and the LOTR movies--the Jackson ones, tho I might tackle the animated ones too).

Toku, it doesn't surprise me that its not controversial. Most people on the internet absolutely hate reading anything that's not a Star Wars tie in, and anti-intellectualism increasingly thrives. Its to the point where if you actually read anything that doesn't have a movie in the works, you're a pariah. I once saw a brony discussion board where someone casually mentioned that he learned some writing tricks from reading a book from the 1930s... and immediately the entire board jumped on him for being a "hipster," including the mods. Okay granted, that's bronies, but still.

Also, there's a difference between academic-level criticism and Linkara's review. Academics are inquisitive, incisive, and able to see into the substance of things. Linkara was basically "this book doesn't follow some guideline I learned in high school therefore its badly-written." For an example of academic reviewing, see this review by ST Joshi. See the point where Joshi points out how the Derleth mythos differs from the Lovecraft mythos? Those are things the average reader wouldn't notice--certainly Linkara wouldn't, or if he did he'd think they were just minor differences of interperpretation, while a real academic would see their true significance (Joshi was not the first person to point these differences out, but he was the first to actively campaign for a segregation between "Lovecraft mythos" and "Cthulhu mythos," the latter of which had come to be dominated by Derlethian ideas).

By contrast, an example of Linkara's review is when he in essence says "well, the Dwarf-Elf romance adds character development. Character development is good, therefore the movie is better." That's the essence of what's wrong with his criticism--its basically on the level of what you would hear from, say, a fifteen-year-old Final Fantasy fan back in the days of usenet, when said teenagers would preach that FF was inherently better than all other games because "they had stories" while most games don't (something most gamers these days realize is not an objective requirement to be a good video game).

On that note he shows a basic lack of understanding of Tolkien. In his opening he gives the viewer a brief background on Middle-earth in which, at one point, he claims "various kingdoms make war with each other, or else hold cold alliances while each pursues their own agenda." This alone calls into question everything he says, since he gets the basic premise of the Middle-earth mythology wrong, suggesting its basically A Game of Thrones (which couldn't be further from the truth). Again by comparison, actual academic Joshi knew precisely what Lovecraft was about and that's why he's able to refute Derleth's interpretation and Haefele's defense of that interpretation.

As for why this is worth making a video rebuttal.... Linkara himself said it: "you have the right to disagree." Disagreement has to be spoken to exist. To be silent is to implicitly state that he's right. And while art may to some extent be subjective, there are some things that should not be. Frankly if its okay to bash Tolkien while praising the work of a director who people only know because he road Tolkien's coattails (just think, it could've just as easily been M. Night Shyamalan or Uwe Boll) then that's a stone's throw away from admitting that anti-intellectuals are right: that all life is about making money to get food, having sex to make babies who you then raise so they can repeat it all over again, just for some arbitrary thing called "survival" which is only important because our biological functions say it is, despite that none of us ever asked to live on this planet to begin with.

I mean, preferring Power Rangers over Sentai, that's fine--at the end of the day both are meaningless shows meant to sell toys. Tolkien's work is no such thing (in fact, it being reduced to such is one of the things his estate hates about the movies) and to put it on the same level is, to quote Zero Punctuation: "as insults go that's right up there with hitting a person with their own dead dog, which you killed."

This has been Topic Derailment theater! Hopefully this sub-discussion won't last too long and we'll go back to discussing History of Power Rangers... as soon as the next episode airs, I guess? The next season is the one with the dinosaurs that eat batteries, right?

10. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Edmond Dantes, do it. I am a huge fan of Channel Awesome and the way they review movies. I wanted to see Godzilla movie reviews done in that type of style but no one was doing it. All I ever saw were people sitting in front of the camera and talking about the movie without showing any footage. Even a friend of mine who goes by the channel name Kaijuologist does that.

As such, I decided that the only way I am going to get to see the reviews I want to see if to do it myself. And thus I did. I did all 29 Godzilla movies last year, reviewed Zyuranger and Dairanger when they were released, among other things such as Rodan, Boogiepop Phantom, Matango, Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm Street. I'm currently working on the Gamera movies, about to do a Mothra month, and I'm going to be releasing a review on the first two episodes of Zyuohger.

I'm also going to try and start monetizing my reviews this year and do a Patreon so I can have an extra income for conventions, upgrading my equipment, etc. In fact, I just learned that I might even be able to get Press badges at conventions, so I'm going to see if I can do that for Power Morphicon.

11. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Well I have to eat some humble pie. I said before that I doubt Linkara would review something that was not legally available...and the end of this week's AT4W he announced that next week's episode is a review of the first five episodes of Gokaiger. Apparently it was chosen by a Patreon sponsor.

12. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

...And now I'm seriously hoping he uses Over-Time's subs. Otherwise, the whole review will be cringe worthy.

13. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes New Member

I'm seconding that. I hope one of his fans or patreon supporters told him to go for Over-Time's subs or something.

EDIT: His website has a "Contact" section where you can e-mail him. I did so to give him the heads-up about this. Too bad Shout Factory isn't as easy to contact...

14. Shogun_Master

Shogun_Master Why is every good TV show Cancelled

So we're all just talking about him redoing the original seasons? Well, watching it now. Not bad so far.

Kind of sucks that he won't do sentai. Not only does it tend to be hilariously bizarre & unrealistic with actors who take everything overly serious, I actually forced myself to watch more Dairanger & ended up really starting to enjoy it after the Kibarenja showed up...

15. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes New Member

Wait, he "redid" the original seasons? What does "redid" entail, exactly? The same as the original episodes but with better footage, or is there actual new content?

I might watch if he goes over the storylines and stuff of the first three seasons in multiple parts like he did for later seasons like Samurai.

16. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

He's just re-editing his older Power Rangers review so they are YouTube friendly. He still encourages people watch the original because they are longer and more in depth. The only note worthy thing about the edits is that he is tackling some subjects he forgot to mention the first time around.

I finished watching his re-edit of MMPR Season 1, and I still don't like his view on the Power Rangers movie. It's true that the movie's narrative stands alone without tying into the TV show, but the movie did have some influence on future seasons of the show. To ignore that seems a little foolish.

17. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

The AT4W review of Gokaiger's first five episodes in now available to all...although as Linkara points out straight away at the beginning of the video, Toei have apparently tried to get History of Power Rangers episodes taken down for content infringement, so an actual Sentai review that uses clips of fansubs is not likely to be around long before youtube blocks it. So get it while it's here people.

18. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Well that isn't entirely true. My Zyuohger review has been up for a week now without a single claim on it. Based on my Zyu and Dai reviews, it seems like Toei only goes after a series of theirs that has more than 29 seconds of footage from a scene featured in it. At least, right now. We'll see what happens next week when I review 3 and 4.

19. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

Thank goodness he went with the Over-Time subs. He started off by showing a clip of TV-Nihon's translation, and that really had me worried for a second.

And his review wasn't that bad, actually. He managed to avoid comparing for the most part. And he said he liked it! Seems all the people that believed he would like Super Sentai are finally validated.

20. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

I find his review a bit rushed. I understand that not that much happens in Gokaigers' first episodes, but it feels like he just zipped through them as fast as he could.
    He mentioned villains maybe once or twice and didn't really focus on any characters, except Marvelous.
    Still It's a good thing that he liked Gokaiger. I tried to get my friend (who's an anime fan and really liked KR W) into Gokaiger, but he was really bored by 1st episode and didn't really want to watch more.