Terrible Toku Talents; who's work do you absolutly hate?

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by Terthna, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Terthna

Terthna Lurker

Do you hate it every time Inoue throws someone into a river? Do you think Aikawa likes to steal candy from children and kick puppies? Did Yonemura's Diend make absolutely no sense to you with his Face Heel Face turn? Well then, this it the thread for you my friend! Finally, you have a thread to vent all your frustrations, and explain why you wish Toei would just stop hiring these guys.

Heck, you don't even have to keep it just writers; tell us why you hate a particular producer, director, or even actor. All hatred is welcome here.

2. lazycoconut

lazycoconut I liked him when he wasn't a god

Sakamoto and his constant leg, boob shots and female fanservice. I'm absolutely sick of it. Sexism aside, it's self-indulgent and hijacking the work for his own amusement. For instance, I'm a big fan of post-war through '80s pulp horror. Imagine if I became a director and kept turning every movie I made into a Hammer Horror tribute, even when it was totally inappropriate to the piece or genre? No matter how talented I was and if I could shoot amazing battle scenes, people would rightly get fed up with it.

Inoue: Way too much soap-opera and angst. Even during his "good" days of Jetman et al, there was just too much of it. I think his recent writing of the spin-off Heisei Rider novels and including so much sex and random death is very telling. He had too much control of Kamen Rider for too long and I'm glad it is out of his hands now. I also hate the way he thinks that female characters exist to be love interests and women are completely irrational and will do anything in the name of "love"

Kobayashi: Also way too much drama and soap-opera stuff. She keeps re-using stock plots and characters and it feels very repetitive, yet people praise her for supposedly being so unique and creating these complex, layered characters when very often they are the same ones each time. And when she likes a character or ship, it's *really* obvious and overdone.

Nao Nagasawa: I don't dislike her. I just think it's ridiculous that Nanami (a poorly-written character who is no more special than HurricaneRed or Yellow) became one of the most legendary characters in the franchise on the strength of Nagasawa's looks; and that she keeps reappearing whenever Sakamoto wants a pair of legs in his latest project. It would be tiresome no matter what performer it was.

3. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

The curious thing with tokusatsu is that most people who've been responsible for something truly awful were also, at some point, responsible for something really great. So there's not a lot of creators who work regularly in the field I can bring myself to hate. As much as fans villify guys like Inoue, I don't think tokusatsu really has a Howard Mackie or Chuck Austen yet.

But if I ever find out exactly who is responsible for the Fiveman Puppets becoming recurring characters, I will feel an overwhelming urge to engage in face-smashing physical violence. The entire stretch of episodes where the Puppets keep popping up is the only time I've ever found Sentai completely unwatchable.

4. Terthna

Terthna Lurker

No one could even get their foot in the door in any kind of entertainment industry, unless they managed to at some point make something that a majority of people liked. Case in point, I really can't stand much of anything Inoue made in the past decade (I hate plots that require characters not to communicate basic information in order to function), but I love both of his greatest contributions to the genre, namely Jetman and Agito.

That said, I know I saw you say some things about Aikawa back in my Boukenger thread that weren't exactly the most positive which, in retrospect, kinda made me dial back my enjoyment of the series. So I know that there are things that annoy you enough maybe not to hate, but at least wish that Toei would stop hiring guys to do thing they can't really do, like Aikawa writing for an upbeat and positive superhero show.

5. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Yeah, I don't get why Toei keeps hiring Sho Aikawa. I mean, the guy is great at the writing part of writing, don't get my wrong. But Toei produces superhero shows, and Aikawa hates superheroes so much he bent over backwards to insist that fighting for justice has nothing to do with Kamen Rider. It's just weird, I wonder if he's friends with somebody or really good about hitting deadlines.

6. FreedomR8G6B1

FreedomR8G6B1 Member

I really hated Kohei Murakami in Faiz because the Masato character was built up into nothing and ended up dying meaninglessly with no redemption whatsoever.:redface2:

However, by Ultraman Mebius, Cutey Honey the Live, and Garo Makai Senki, I've been hating him less. The shows he appeared after Faiz showed how much of a comedian he could be.

He should go back to Tsuburaya and do Ultraman again.:laugh:

7. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

... oh man. I didn't even know Aikawa had done Ultraman, let alone that one. That actually makes me want to see it. I can't really imagine what an Aikawa take on Ultraman would be like.

8. FreedomR8G6B1

FreedomR8G6B1 Member

Never seen "Towards the Future", huh Lynx?

The Aussie Ultra was pretty decent for what it was...not to mention how much stuff they needed to cram into the series.:sly:

Makes me wonder what if Steve Wang did accept Tsuburaya's offer to do Ultraman Ultimate Hero.

PS: Now if SyFy only kidnapped Keita Amemiya and "forced" him to do a SyFy Original Movie. Hey, it worked for Takashi Miike with HBO/Showtime.

9. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Nah. Given how hard it is to make time for the actually-made-in-Japan Ultras, watching the weird foreign outsourced one was never much of a priority. Knowing Aikawa was involved makes the whole thing a bit more interesting. I wonder if his experience with it was bad and that's why he's got an axe to grind with superheroes? This credit would be super-early in his career.

10. Terthna

Terthna Lurker

You know, one of these days I'm going to have to watch those last two episodes of Wizard he wrote, just to see what he did to so clearly denounce Kamen Rider as heroes. Though I'd really like to see your full take on what ever it was.

11. lazycoconut

tell me more, I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

12. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Yeah I also hated Kaixa while I was watching Faiz, to the point that I started fastforwarding through a lot of his dialogue just so I wouldn't have to listen to his crazy rants. But since I finished the series I've seen the episode of Mebius that Murakami was in and the first half of Cutie Honey, and he was quite enjoyable in those. I've started to think it was more of a writing thing than the actor. Faiz is (IMO) a show about prejudice and Kaixa was the most prominent prejudiced human character. I think we're meant to hate Kaixa. You know, seeing as the character's crazy racist an' all? That's not to excuse it entirely though; there was still some horrible writing on that show :shakefist

13. Kamen Rider Cherry

Kamen Rider Cherry A girl of divergent opinions.

Even though I adore Yayoi and her character arc, I feel that her actress, Marie Iitoyo, is a bit lacking in the acting talent department.

14. lazycoconut

She is only 15 and an idol-girl. I'm not suggesting young and/or idol = talentless, but the Takeru Satos and Masaki Sudas of this world are few and far between. If every year you're casting these kid models who have little or no prior acting experience, chances are that many of them are not going to be too good

15. Ice Ixa

Ice Ixa Lurker

I think he's referring to this, although it's Showtime, not HBO, so I'm not sure.

16. lazycoconut

That's what I thought of, I had no idea he'd done anything for HBO. It would be damn awesome if they could get Amemiya, though :disappoin

17. Xtreme RX

Xtreme RX Member

Whenever a character is missing from the usual place and the guy is like "Oh man! This person is gone. Might as well run around the WHOLE CITY shouting their name".

Like, they don't even show a scene of them calling them or sending out those mini-droid things sometimes. Makes me angry.

18. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

It's not quite denouncing them as heroes. There's just a line he puts in Tsukasa's mouth where he says that Kamen Riders don't fight for justice, they fight for human freedom. And I don't know why you'd bother to distinguish the two unless you're trying to argue that Riders aren't dumb ol' superheroes.

19. toni2212

toni2212 Member

really hate whoever's in charge of brainstorming idea from Bandai. Particularly the time of Fourze, Go-Busters, Kyoryugers and Gaim.

20. Twisted_Edge

Twisted_Edge A true Jack of ALL trades!

I love Amemiya's work, binging on it right now. Watched Tekkouki Mikazuki, Zeiram and Zeiram 2. Great stuff, watching the OVA right now, loving the style (reminding me of D.N. Angel).

HOWEVER, there's a pet peeve of mine. I like a nice pair of breatst like any other (hetrosexual) guy, but does he have to use it in his monsters as wel. Kinda... disturbing...

Then again, maybe that's why he did it? It was in both Zeiram movies btw.

Now he's working together wit Inoue on Shougeki Gouraigan, that got a bit... You know(nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more)...