[TALK] Transformers 4 - Pre-Discussion

Discussion in 'The Power Chamber' started by dchoc, Jun 6, 2012.

1. SaikoDragon

SaikoDragon It's Judgement Time!

I love the new trailer. I think the dinobots look bad ass so far. I still don't get the hate, I don't suppose I ever will. I loved the cartoons but I can also lover other iterations of those cartoons. I love seeing these robots in real life, in any incarnation.

I can't wait to get a better look at the decepticons in this movie. Lockdown looks so hellatiously kewl.

2. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

This. All of this is exactly how I generally feel about the Transformers live action movies.
    Do I go around saying they are the best? No, I acknowledge the narrative flaws and such. But they are what they are, a different Transformers universe/iteration, and I love them for what they are and the things they do right. Honestly, there is so much hate for these movies, it usually makes me afraid to post in topics about them because I feel like I'm practically alone or I'll be attacked for saying anything positive about them at all.

I don't understand the hate for the Dinobots design either, but it's probably from the same people who hate the movie designs or how they transform. If they didn't like it before, they won't like it now.

3. MMPR

MMPR Read my smart post

The internet is actually made up angry hipsters who hate anything popular. In reality they make up (probably) less than 2% of people who actually see these movies, people love Michael Bay and his Transformers movies, which is why they consistently make so much money

4. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

True, but at the same time, it's not like the majority of the populace is demanding cinematic gold every time. It's just average people who are usually easy to please, and usually hard to displease.

I like to consider myself among the easy to please crowd most of the time. Not to mention, I often have a bad habit of trying to find the good in things when it isn't necessary (it goes into how I was raised). But I also admire critics like the ones often seen at TGWTG.com, and I am trying not to be a push over. I am trying harder to be analytical without becoming negative almost all the time. After all, any good critic will always tell you to form your own (preferably educated) opinion and don't stop liking what you love, regardless of how many people have a different opinion. :)

5. Bigdog

Bigdog Member

I was a bit surprised at them, but they look stunning enough on screen, especially Grimlock. Galvatron as a cab? It will take some time to get used to.

6. JackLovesZ

JackLovesZ New Member

Wow I thought this thread would be moving like crazy once the movie came out. And instead its died down on the second page? :disappoin

I liked it. A lot. Marky Mark turned out better than I thought he would. The only character that annoyed me was Cade's daughter's boyfriend.

No real disappointments, except for a couple of deaths...but that was more sad than disappointing.

I really enjoyed this movie. I'll definately see it again.

7. MMPR

MMPR Read my smart post

I liked it, I was disappointed we didn't get more robot vs robot fights, it was mostly humans. I also missed the car chases, Michael Bay shoots the most beautiful and chaotic car chases in Hollywood, so I wished they were more featured.

But those are minor grips, i'm looking forward to TF5

8. SaikoDragon

I saw the movie in IMAX 3D. I loved it. I'm really getting sick of reading reviews, however, that choose to play up the "dur hur its a movie about nothing. Its jus bayformers." shtick. It's stupid and not valid. I mean, if someone doesn't like the movie, great. But the trend has been to just pick on the movie to be part of the 'cool crowd' of cynic critics.

The movie was awesome. I had a lot of feels for Optimus. When he screamed "They slaughtered Ratchet!" ... damn! I felt like the bots got a lot more time to shine this time around; they had fantastic personalities and Optimus got to emote a lot. His character has progressed and there's a solemn aura around him that carries a tragic weight.

Optimus has been through a lot, emotionally as a character and the movies haven't really gotten to show that. But this movie gives us a nice shot.

The Dinobots were just brutal. Loved them.

One drag, though. We never really got to see Drift, Crosshairs, or Hound transform. We saw their vehicle and bot mode but no transformation between the two. That's one of the sellers of the movie for me.

9. JackLovesZ

JackLovesZ New Member

Yeah I felt like there wasn't enough Decepticons. Minor grips since I was entertained throughout, but yeah, I would have still liked more Decepticons.

I agree with everything you've said, but I'm on the fence with your last paragraph. On the one hand, that is true. On the other hand, I didn't care, cause I didn't really care about them. Hound was totally unrecognizable (I grew up with the 80's cartoon and movie), the other two, I had no frame of rerference from the 80's cartoon/movie like I did Ironhide, Jazz, Ratchet. I liked Hound's antics, but that was about it. But I didn't even notice they didn't really transform cause, well, Op and Bumblebee carried the movie and we saw them transform plenty of times. :shrug:

10. SaikoDragon

Yeah its mostly just a mechanical thing. I really like to see how these vehicles transform into the bots and where the bits come from. I think that's why the first movie is still my favorite. We really got to see each bot transform in magnificent ways. And the transformations were so fluid and natural that you could really believe it.

11. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

Most of hate comes from fans, who wish that Bay cared about franchise. I can't say I'm a hardcore TF fan, but I personally think these movies are pretty bad.
    http://youtu.be/7jmKo7US0Kw
    http://youtu.be/Xoe1p_NrFwg
    http://youtu.be/4ORoPgZLeuc

Something like that, yeah.
    As for "so much money". Well, these movies are for general public, who don't care about cartoons. These movies have boobs, big robots, explosions etc. Why shouldn't these movies be a big success? The thing is, it's not really TF. Just some hollywood films, which have "Transformers" in title for some weird reason.

12. FreedomR8G6B1

FreedomR8G6B1 Member

"MICHAEL BAY HAS DONE THE IMPOSSIBLE!!! HE MADE THE DINOBOTS SUCK!!!"

-According to many

...my response...wow.:sly:

13. SaikoDragon

No, the dinobots were bad ass in the movie. They didn't suck in any sort of way.

14. Captain McSteamy

Captain McSteamy Banned

Doesn't surprise me.

15. Sephiroth211

Sephiroth211 Join me....Cloud.

Thank god I read comic books and had the pleasure of seeing the G1 Transformers in their prime. The Bayformers are a pale comparison of these epic characters. Hearing Prime scream "I will kill you" and "I'll destroy you all" just let me know that this franchise is so off the mark that it's truly sad. I never like watching movies for free, but in the case of Bay's Transformers I lose no sleep whatsoever.

16. Sentaifan'07 Xman

Sentaifan'07 Xman "Let's DRIVING!!!!!"

Yeah, but you know what would've made the Dinobots even more bad-ass.....if the movie was mainly focused on them. I mean, seriously, the beginning of this movie was on the right course, but sadly the movie still didn't actually tell us more about their character. I mean, even the title of this movie says it all.
    :nono:

Bottom line, besides Mark Wahlberg's acting which was the only thing that was actually pretty good about the film, and even though I still can't his daughter seriously because we all know that it's the same actress who played Katara from the god-awful, "let's never speak of it again!" live-action Last Airbender movie, I still think that the rest of the movie was just so boring, I nearly fell asleep throughout the whole thing.

I am sorry, but this movie is just too long and too damn boring.

17. Tendou Soujiro

Tendou Soujiro Kamen Rider Dark Kabuto

Yeah, besides the fact that they got pretty much zero screentime in robot mode despite having really badass weapons in said robot modes.

18. meganinja

meganinja Save The Live!

The film was so cool and the Dinobots was badass in so many ways , the sad part is that most of auto bots died... I can't wait for next movie and see the creators of transformers and the revenge match between Prime vs Megatron

9,5/10 for this movie

19. Bigdog

Bigdog Member

I could have cut the film a half hour or more to bring the film back into focus.

The entire plot was cumbersome and lagged considerably. They should have been introduced around the 40 minute mark and have them wreck havoc in China. The gov't finds some use for the Autobots so they cut off the persecution [With Ratchet and etc. in newer bodies due to them being destroyed] and they come to fight the Dinobots. None of them being arrested by Lockdown, just that fact.

Grammer's characters pushes with Lockdown and they take Prime and a few other Autobots again after that fight with Galvatron.

Nix that whole stupid nanobot transforming gimmick for the older transforming method just because it looks hilarious and easy to destroy. Rather, new protoforms instead of that whole metal gimmick. But keep much of everything else intact in the finale, minus Galvacoward fleeing. Instead, give Galvacoward a nicer form that doesn't look like a bootleg and have him defeat Prime. Lockdown still serves as the enemy for the fifth, while Galvacoward flees with his new Decepticon army. Also, remove that smaller green guy for Waspinator, so we can see him go evil in the next.

In speaking of his new army, bring back Starscream, a brainwashed Jetfire, Rampage and introduce the Combaticons into the fray with Stinger and the other new one. Overall, give those personalities and reference Witwitcky family in the story instead of downright ditching their role.

The execution was too long for basically nothing to really happen. The fights were not worth the wait in any form altogether because the most interesting aspect of the entire film was reduced to 5 minutes tops, and their fights with Prime and the gang were too short.

-4/5