[Video Game] Super Robot Wars Thread

Discussion in 'Super GeekStation Climax: THE STARCADE' started by wildwolf, Jan 31, 2010.

1. wildwolf

wildwolf Member

Baran is Touma's (and to a lesser extent, Sanger's) rival.

Son Ganlong (Avot Akrav) and his Shin Ryuohki are the rivals for Kusuha/Bullet and their choukijins. For some reason, he resents them. I think it has something to do with how they were chosen (to protect the Earth or to guard Gan Eden?) instead of him. He was also involved in the Choukijin Wars in the past.

2. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Yeah, I was referencing something I read-- that they swapped around who the villains were actually rivals with in the final game.

They were just meant to be used differently before they had to cut Giant Robo.

(Baran Doban made no particular sense to me as Touma's Rival, after all, nor did Son Ganlong as a rival for the Chinese Machines.)

3. arnoldmcguire335

arnoldmcguire335 Continuing the Creddie legacy

Home Page:
    Ok since SRW isn't on the PS3 yet, here's my lineup of series for this SRW (Banpresto announced in '05 that SRW will be on the PS3 too. WELL WHERE IS IT YOU LIARS?!?!) XD

Current series:
    Great Mazinger
    UFO Robo Grendizer
    GaoGaiGar+GaoGaiGar FINAL
    Romantic Robot Trilogy (all three of them)
    Eldran Trilogy (All 4 of them)
    Gundam: Char's Counterattack+G:CCA Beltorchika's (sp?) Children
    Gundam Wing Endless Waltz
    Zeta Gundam: A new Translation
    ZZ Gundam
    Dancougar
    Aquarion
    Gravion+Gravion Zwei
    Gundam SEED Destiny+SEED CE 73 StarGazer
    GoLion
    Gaiking Legend of Daiku Maryu
    New Getter Robo
    Kotetsushin Jeeg
    GunXSword

Debuting Series:
    Shin Mazginer Shogeki! Z Hen
    Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    Gundam 00 Seasons 1 and 2
    UFO Senshi Dai Apolon
    Choujin Sentai Baratack
    Yuusha ExKaiser
    Dai Rugger XV
    Albegas
    Might Gaine
    J Decker
    Dagwon
    Baan Gaan (from Brave Saga, since DaiTeiOh showed up on NEO)
    Zoids ShinSeiki ZERO+Zoids Fuzors
    Zoids Chaotic Century

Exclusive Features:
    Online battles (Your team VS 2 others)
    Trophies
    In-game music (both off and online)

What will yours be?

4. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

I just want a game that acknowledges Magic Knight Rayearth and for Escaflowne to appear in a game that isn't animated like butt. That's all I ask.

5. Kurou Daijuuji

Kurou Daijuuji Member

Son Ganlong's been involved in the Choukijin story since the Ryukoou Denki manga.

6. arnoldmcguire335

arnoldmcguire335 Continuing the Creddie legacy

Home Page:
    Oh thanks for reminding me about MKR, although Escaflowne was in SRW, for the Wonderswan, but can't remember which SRW Wonderswan title it was. (I think there were 5.)

7. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

It was in SRW Compact 3. The animations in Compact 3 were really low-quality, so the Guymelefs just looked terrible. I really want to see them appear in a higher-resolution game so they look better.

8. wildwolf

wildwolf Member

According to one of the Alpha 3 guides, these are the canon rivals for the mains:

Kusuha: Son Ganlong - He's been the enemy of Ryuohki and Koohki and their pilots since, at least, the 1930's. He believes that he should be the sole protector of Earth and Gan Eden although he later betrays the latter when he realizes that the Shijin Choukijins and their human psychodrivers are chosen for that role. Son Ganlong's mortal enemies in the past, Ryuuma (Ryuohki's pilot) is the originator of the sword-style that Bullet uses while the Wen Li (Koohki's pilot) is the ancestor of Kusuha (it could be possible that the other modern psychodrivers are also her descendants).

Touma: Baran - He defeats Touma several times and even seriously damages the Raioh, which necessitates its upgrade to Dairaioh, finally allowing Touma to defeat him.

Cobray: Calico - He is bitter and resentful of the fact that the "Originator" (Ingram) chose Cobray over him.

Selena: Spectra - She murdered Selena's old teammates. This results in Selena seeking revenge and her targeting of Viletta because of the latter's close similarities to Spectra.

9. Kurou Daijuuji

Kurou Daijuuji Member

Mostly accurate. Ryuuma Tougou is the ancestor of Rishu Tougou, Zengar's master in OG and currently Grungust Type Zero's pilot.

The part about Wen Li and Kusuha probably isn't true, since she's the mother of Ryuuma's children.

For what it's worth, there's a whole huge translation of Kusuha's route on Gamefaqs by Mark Neidengard.

10. wildwolf

wildwolf Member

Apparently, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Masou Kishin The Lord of Elemental is "confirmed" for the DS.

11. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

It's confirmed as in super-good-odds-rumor rather than official Banpresto announcement.

That said, I am really curious about this. The 16-bit Lord of Elemental was a great game, but I'd heard WinkySoft held copyright on the Masoukishin supporting cast. Did Banpresto get the rights back or was that so much bullshit?

12. psychonerv

psychonerv Member

I've just finished playing og gaiden, well, compared to the ogs this one was kind of easy perhaps? i had to admit that dark brain was hella annoying, but besides him, i think it was not as challenging.

I did enjoy the game, the Shura's were hella awesome, but with them coming in the late, (valefor and agares) i didn't get to use them as much, but they were handy in the final stages. Folka and Ialdabaoth were the surprise for me, i upgraded Ialdabaoth's speed/mobility to at least 150, equipped him with something for accuracy, and he's able to clean the map, even the bosses can't hit him. i haven't had a unit as monstrous as him since cobray and the dis astranagant.

The only gripe i could tell from the game was i didn't get to use a lot of units that i've used in ogs, like the 2 fairlions, wildwurger and wildfalken units.

im currently on the second playthrough and i hope i get all the skill points by this time

13. KamenRiderShinzo

KamenRiderShinzo Everywhere You Go

That aside, there are now images of the game! They even support the supposed discription of the game!

From Siliconera:

"A retail listing popped up for Masou Kishin The Lord of Elemental and then quickly vanished, but not before it was captured by a Japanese blog. The pulled product page says Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Masou Kishin The Lord of Elemental is a remake of the Super Famicom title with a similar name (no Gaiden). It uses the battle system from the original game, but ditches the super deformed look for realistic robot graphics during battle. Somehow, Masou Kishin The Lord of Elemental manages to tie-in to the existing OG Saga mythology too.

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Masou Kishin The Lord of Elemental, according to the potential leak, is dated for May 27."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If this is real, which I hope so, then the game is going to be awesome! Let's also hope that the release date is real too!:D

14. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Hah, that's real, the portrait art is all vintage recycled Banpresto stuff. :anime:

Going back to full-size mecha? Interesting, they haven't tried that for awhile.

If it's using the battle system from the SNES game, this will be fucking sweet. Masoukishin was much more complex than most SRWs, it added in a lot of tactical RPG elements like facing and elevation as significant damage and hit/dodge modifiers.

I am so glad we're getting this instead of OG3.

15. KamenRiderShinzo

Well I'm still not counting out on OG3 on PS3! After all, didn't Terada say that they're working on three projects this year or something like that? I'm sure at least one of them will be on PS3 or PSP. Making an original one for the PSP would be awesome, as it will be the PSP's first original Super Robot Taisen game, and OG3 would only suit the PS3. However, I would rather have a new original one for the PSP, while OG3 on the PS3 can still be announced, but wait until the PSP one comes out.:D

16. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

I believe Banpresto's said they're not moving to PS3 until something like 2012. :disappoin

I could see a PSP project in the works. Surely Banpresto will care to release something not-half-assed for the platform now that it's so popular in Japan.

17. KamenRiderShinzo

That's great news! I'll now be sure to expect one on the PSP! I have a PS3, but I seem to care about an original PSP game too. And to be honest, I would rather have a PSP one announced and released before a PS3 one.

18. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

19. Kain

Kain Lurker

Since chances are there wont be an english version, any excitement id get from this is now nonexistent until further notice

20. Denjin_Zaboga23

Denjin_Zaboga23 Sweet Sweets

The chances are better than an actual SRW coming over here, since the Masoukishin are OG mechs...so, don't count it out yet.