[Video Game] Super Robot Wars Thread

Discussion in 'Super GeekStation Climax: THE STARCADE' started by wildwolf, Jan 31, 2010.

1. GVman@Guts

GVman@Guts Member

I haven't beaten any of them, but I have played Alpha Gaiden, Alpha 3, and OG.

I'm currently working on beating Alpha 3 (I'm about halfway through now). I'm also getting MX and Z, both of which I'm looking forward to.

2. psychonerv

psychonerv Member

^what character are you using? I did Cobray , Touma (got the bad ending, spoiling dai rai oh's awesomeness) currently in Selena's route, saving kusuha for last.

so far, i think alpha 3 had the best banpresto originals line-up in the alpha timeline.and probably alpha 3 is the easiest to beat. (i didn't include alpha gaiden since i was unable to play it.)

3. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Alpha 3 is very easy thanks to the song system, but not too easy. I would consider alpha easier, I beat it without using seishin until the final stage!

I think I liked alpha 2's originals more than alpha 3's. Selena is very meh while pretty much all of the alpha 2 originals had a good and somewhat different plot.

I also think alpha 3 's mecha designs were kind of uglier and more forgettable across the board-- maybe because the game was so large and trying to cram so much stuff in.

4. Dark Kabuto

Dark Kabuto In Justice, We Trust!

Did anyone else think that the upgrades to Ryukoh and Kohryoh felt totally unnecessary?

5. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

It was necessary but only in a stupid sort of way. One of alpha 2's big selling points was the first modern animations of RyuKouOh and KouRyuOh if you took Kusuha's route. They could get away with that once since we hadn't seen the Chinese Machines since the PlayStation.

Alpha 3 couldn't get away with just re-animating the old design again if Kusuha was going to be one of the main originals, since it was the same sprite-base and everything. So the basic logic of these games demanded that the Chinese Machines somehow upgrade into a form with new powers.

It would've worked just fine if the Shin Chinese Machines had been good designs, but they weren't. Oh man, they weren't.

I absolutely don't understand why they decided the SRX had to upgrade to Banpreios, though. At the time alpha 3 came out, I believe we hadn't yet seen high-quality PS2 animations* of the original SRX. That alone could've gotten people really excited.

*I can't remember offhand if OGs came out before or after alpha 3. Even if it came out before, the OGs animations are so inferior to the alpha 3 animations that I think they didn't really need to "upgrade" the SRX.

6. wildwolf

wildwolf Member

^OGs was released about 2 years after Alpha 3.

I was disappointed that the Banpreios was locked in its combined form. I really wanted to see how the Altered versions of R-1/2/3 looked.

When I played Kusuha's route in Alpha 3, I was hoping that the other combined choukijins from the manga, Ryukooh Denki (Jakubuoh, Bujakuoh and Shijin Shoukon Ryukooh), would appear. Instead, we got Shin Ryukooh/Koryuoh.

Speaking of manga, Super Robot Taisen Hibiki shows the meeting and subsequent battle between Alpha Gaiden's Preventers and Z's Zeuth. We get to see Cybaster vs Shuroga.

7. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Cybuster versus Shuroga = hotness. Though Shuroga in general is, I think, one of the best bad guy mechs to come along in Super Robot Taisen in a long time. The pilot is a bag of dicks with a delicious motivation, Shuroga is usually a tough fight, and the stuff these guys do to Setsuko is almost reprehensible beyond belief.

8. GVman@Guts

GVman@Guts Member

I'm doing Kusuha's, because a fellow who goes by the name of MNeidengard wrote an almost translation guide for her route.

9. psychonerv

psychonerv Member

to the ones who played Z, were you able to get the all skill points from the early stages on your first playthough?

im on rand's mission 8 and got only 3 of the 8, though on the second playthrough, i think i have a better chance to get most of them.

10. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

I recall getting all the Skill Points for Setsuko's route. I got Neo in before I started my Rand game.

Generally some Skill Points are easier to get on a second cycle and others aren't. It depends on the requirements.

11. Nanami Tenkawa

Nanami Tenkawa 優しさの大人少女

Home Page:
    you got that right. but Raioh/Dai Raioh design even better than Shin RyuKohOh/Shin KohRyuOh. i'm glad the designer of Banpresto is sort of fan from Showa Kamen Rider. :anime:

right now, i'm at SRW J and Alpha 2 were in scenario 20 above. things were getting underhanded.

12. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Raioh was a lot of fun, yeah. It's a shame that most of his plot ended up on the cutting room floor because they had to take out Giant Robo.

(That was initially the whole reason why they wanted an alpha 3 original that was a tokusatsu homage. It's just really obvious when you encounter certain characters/scenarios.)

13. GVman@Guts

GVman@Guts Member

About the Setsuko Route, does anyone know if there's something of an summary I can read for it? I can't read moonrunes.

14. psychonerv

psychonerv Member

15. Chronotia Archzenom

Chronotia Archzenom Member

Man if only I could bring my PS2 Unit here in Cebu from Bohol, then I'd be playing it non-stop thanks be to your assistance. Grr... I wanna play SRW already for I am burning like hot metal to the battle lines. :(

16. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

I really liked Dis Astranagant, that was an awesome shout-out to the alpha plot.

I wanted to like Kusuha and Bullet's route but it was just a lot less interesting than their route in alpha 2 was.

17. arnoldmcguire335

arnoldmcguire335 Continuing the Creddie legacy

Home Page:
    the 1st SRW I completed was J. that was awesome. my brother finished K.

18. Nanami Tenkawa

Nanami Tenkawa 優しさの大人少女

Home Page:

is it about Toma's rival Baran Doban or was the final enemy on the last scenario what you've said?
    :eyebrow:

either way Alpha 2 is hard to gain PP when your boss types were need to require PP activate in each scenario Lynxara-chan. i was trying collect money, PPs and gain Katoki ver. Wing Gundam at the same time.

19. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Baran Doban was, I think, planned mostly for Cobray's route. Touma's rival was supposed to be the guy in the porkpie hat who was supposed to fight the Experts of Justice. His unit is like this giant crazy dragon thing.

Heh, I didn't have problems getting Wing ver. Katoki in alpha 2, money, and PP... the thing to remember is that you need to buy SP Regen for everyone first, and this is easiest if you get all the Skill points. That gives all of your units SP bonuses that really stack up over time! Get SP Regen quickly on pilots with personal money doublers and Lucky, and soon you'll have more money than you know what to do with!

I forget what the trick is with Wing Katoki, but I know I ended up getting it without trying all that hard... isn't the requirement mostly just to use the Wing Boys? I think I gave it to Noin and she immediately became a better unit than Heero.

20. psychonerv

psychonerv Member

I got a copy of OG Gaiden last wednesday, and played it, i think i'll have to pass on Z for a while.

im currently on space route 12 and im enjoying the game. the gespenst customs of the cry wolves are really something.