So does anyone NOT like Kyoryuger?

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by Black Fang, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

So besides me, Fantasy Leader, and a handful of other, perhaps not-so-vocal people, is there anyone who is not loving Kyoryuger? Does anyone else think it's as uncreative, overly "pander-to-the-littlest-kids" chock full of cartoonish stupidity, and dare I said, playing it really safe as I do? Because as we all know, last year took such a dark, morbid turn that the kids were scarred for life and needed to be brought back with one big sugar rush of wackiness :rolleyes2: I can admittedly pick out a couple of things I can say I like (my avatar speaks for itself), but overall this is just a nothing of a show.

If the lovers can have their own thread, such is only fair for the other side.

2. Nnnkingston

Nnnkingston Altair

Kyoryuger is very ridiculous and childish, but it consistently has fun with itself. Too often Go-Busters didn't seem like they were having fun, which led to me not enjoying the show.

3. KingRanger

KingRanger Banned

Yeah, heh, how dare sentai cater or "pander" to super sentai's target audience. :anime:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  4. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Go-Busters aimed at the same audience? And that didn't have half the stupid wackiness as Kyoryuger. It's as though it wants to make up for that lost year.

Or how about Gaoranger? It wasn't this numbingly dumb, but yet wasn't the extreme opposite either. Was that a show rated TV-14 (American system) and I didn't know it?

Or let's even go back to Kakuranger. Hardly a show that took itself super seriously. Yet I have fun watching Kakuranger. I do not have fun watching Kyoryuger.

5. Burkion

Burkion SLICE

Me. No love here.

6. Shougo B'Stard

Shougo B'Stard Would like to change his avatar

Home Page:
    I think it makes Go-onger look like Jetman.

7. KingRanger

KingRanger Banned

You not liking a show does not mean it has any less "wackiness" as past sentai. I mean do we really need to start discussing full episodes of each of the series you named to disprove your theory? I mean just off the top of my head one of the main mecha's in Gaoranger used giant banana's as weapons. GO-busters had all the wackiness with all the main characters, dancing, the villains etc. And if you say Kakuranger was full of wacky antics. I mean I am glad you had fun watching those other shows, but they are no more or less wacky. There are funny moments, cheesy moments, wacky moments and dramatic moments in ALL sentai series. Juuden included.

I have said this to you and others before... I mean if you don't enjoy watching it.. Why keep watching it? I mean there is no rule that says you are required to watch a full series if you are not enjoying it.

8. Painted_Outlaw

Painted_Outlaw The new Tendou Souji

I've been 50/50 on it since the very beginning.

Like, I want to like it (obviously) and I'm sure there's some good stuff buried deep down in its core but... there's just so little that actually clicks for me from the cast to the style of humor (Note: I said "style"; not that I hate all humor 4ever) to the plot pacing -- it's all just ugh.

Sanjo, what happened to you? Did writing Digimon: Xros Wars destroy your talent?

9. NeonZ

NeonZ Member

I like how there has been a steady sense of progression, with various things always happening fairly often, and I love the addition of extra rangers per mecha (I've always disliked auxiliary mecha that aren't tied to any character)... However, I can't say I really care about any single member of Kyoryuger's cast, the mecha combinations are horrible, both visual (the miniatures here really just look like the toys. It's like I'm watching the tv commercials), audio and action (especially compared to Go-Busters last year), and the weekly monster plots generally have been really mediocre.

So... I'm not bored watching it, and I hope it leaves a legacy with the extra rangers for auxiliary mecha becoming a recurring part of the franchise, but I don't love the show, and won't miss it after it ends.

10. Tokuboy

Tokuboy Kuuguitar

It's Daigo Sentai Daigoranger at worst, but let's not pretend Reds are supposed to take a backseat to someone else.

And I remember back when Black Fang was a more nuanced critic. Nowadays he's childish bad deep and edgy good. He'll probably moderate himself when we get Liefeld doing Sentai. :laugh:

11. sgtrudolfs

sgtrudolfs Member

or is it more like Hyakujuu Sentai Daigonger in the speed of light pace?

12. Dessa

Dessa Fangtaku

I gave it 3 episodes, wasn't interested. Got shown episode 20 or something, still wasn't interesting. I think it's stupid.

13. Ice Ixa

Ice Ixa Lurker

I've seen bits, the most I've seen is probably a five minute portion of an episode. I've seen clips from various episodes, and while I'm sure it's enjoyable on some level, I don't like what I've seen.

I mean, I'm not the best person to be going to, since I haven't even seen a full episode, but the bits I've watched (both Morphed and unMorphed stuff) doesn't appeal to me.

14. shamrocknroll

shamrocknroll The Ranger with the Cowbell

I second that motion. Granted I like Go-Onger. Kyoryuger I don't because it just doesn't seem to know how humor works. You can't just have people dance and to silly music and expect me to laugh. With Go-Onger you have racecar drivers fighting pollution monsters, THAT'S funny to me.

15. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Is Garo "deep and edgy"? Because I haven't exactly been ecstatic about Season 3.

Honestly, I'm just bored in general with the tokus currently airing. I sat down to Go-Busters back in June and thought it decent, and enjoyed watching Fourze and Metalder again over this spring and summer. But Kyoryuger and Wizard aren't drawing me in; in fact Wizard practically did the opposite since its promising beginning.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  16. Terthna

Terthna Lurker

And look how well that approach did for Go-Busters; worst ratings in Sentai history.

17. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Nope, I like Kyoryuger because it is energetic, it has characters, and it has villains. I don't care for the mecha all that much, but the story of the show has been nicely told and paced, and that triumphs over the kiddie side of it.

18. sgtrudolfs

sgtrudolfs Member

... to date
    it still can be change though

http://risingsuntokusatsu.com/?p=9721

but hey I'm not hating kyoryuger, nor I like it.
    It has the moments I like and aspect I hate at the same portion..
    all and all, it's just an okay show for me and I decided to sit and watch this throughly

19. lazycoconut

lazycoconut I liked him when he wasn't a god

There are elements of it that I don't like, but starting a bash thread just because you can't stand that anybody else likes it is a thoroughly graceless thing to do. You seem to be angry that Sentai isn't continuing in the vein of Go-Busters, and while I am sorry if you like Go-Busters, they can't afford to keep emulating a show that underperformed commercially.

Do you mean the discussion thread, which every currently airing show gets?

You are absolutely proving the point I made in my own thread (that Sentai is criticised for "playing it safe" and Kamen Rider for supposedly straying too far from the principles of the franchise.) Sometimes they have to "play it safe" and do something they know is going to bring in money. Toei couldn't afford another Go-Busters this year.

If you wish Sentai would end rather than keep producing shows you think are bad, fair enough. Otherwise, the money's got to come from somewhere.

One of the biggest complaints of the Japanese fanbase with Go-Busters was that they felt it was trying too hard to be mature and court an older audience at the expense of kids ...

Myself, I never want to see another "serious" Sentai again. At this stage, I would actually prefer half an hour of zany hijinks over tightly-written plot and drama. My complaints with Kyoryuger include other things such as finding Ian and Souji dull and disliking the amount of fanservice/general "Sakamoto lens". It feels hugely self-indulgent sometimes, like Michael Bay's Transformers movies.

20. Fox-Chan

Fox-Chan Harumph.

I have only watched the first couple of episodes thus far. It's alright, but there's nothing particularly mindblowing about it. Though to be fair, I don't expect to be totally blown away by any series I watch. Nor do I expect to hate it, but whatever.

I think they were onto something with the dance motif, but a part of me wishes that they could have used something OTHER than dinosaurs.