Shout Factory to release Megaranger

Discussion in 'The ORB - News & Rumors' started by Toku Prime, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Sad days.

2. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

>watches the first 33 sentai in production order
    >Megaranger is literally the only series I found bad

Gonna sit this out.

3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Really? You found Megaranger to be worse than Turboranger and Fiveman?

Frankly, you should still buy the DVD to support it so we can get the next installment.

4. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

[​IMG]

This is interesting. It's only 8 discs even though Toei's DVDs in Japan were on 10. I hope this doesn't mean a decrease in the video quality.

5. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

Hmm, I forgot Dr. Kain replied to me.
    >noticed there is no quote button so I have to do this manually

Yes I did. 1. Megaranger is boring 2. Turboranger has the best opening theme in the entire franchise 3. Fiveman is top five material and easily Soda pop's best work and 4. Did you not state you would never watch Turboranger? Pretty sure you're not allowed to talk smack about something you never gave a legit chance, if you could you'd see me derailing Symphogear every week.
    For something I don't like and despite the fact Gingaman's already been confirmed? Yeah, no, especially when I'm a guy that almost never rewatches things and outside of a few gunpla never buys merch. But I'll give Megaranger this: Better than Gokaiger.

6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

How would I have ever said I would never watch Turboranger when I watched that show like 10 years ago?

Saying Fiveman is Soda's best work is not really saying much when Soda's work is pretty mediocre at best. Of the shows I have watched or am currently watching, I actually consider Dynaman to be his best series as it is so energetic and full of life. Also, I'm not bored to death during the mech fights despite them being the same mech battle as every other one of his shows.

As for Fiveman itself, I thought the show started out solid but then fell apart when they began having those stupid plush toys make appearances. Although, I did like the episode where the grunts took command.

Finally, for Megaranger, I can not believe you found it boring. Sure, it is no Dai or Kaku, but the show has a lot going for it with a strong ranger cast that actually feel like teenagers, decent villains, excellent music, and some cool mecha.

7. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Hardly true. Bioman through Liveman is a solid run of good shows, Flashman and Liveman being among the best of the series.

The plushies were fun. At least I could stomach them as opposed to Mandora, Hae or most of the rest of the "cutesy" characters in '00 and '10 Sentai.

8. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

My biggest issues with Soda's series are that his ranger cast tends to be as exciting as watching paint dry and pointless mech battles.. They are highly underdeveloped and sometimes feel like they are only there because the show needs heroes. Hell, the pink and black rangers in Goggle V just disappear during the mech battles.

Now he does have some great villains in Changeman, Dynaman, and Liveman, but a lot of them seem rather pointless. For example, I'm currently watching Goggle V and the two scientists accomplished absolutely nothing to the point that they didn't even need to exist. The wall could have fulfilled their roles throughout the 15 episodes they were there.

The most significant thing I can say about Soda's era is that he really had some great camera operators as there are a lot of well shot fight scenes.

Bioman is one of my least favorite Sentai series. I give it credit for trying something new, and it's better than Goseiger, Ninninger, ToQ, and Turboranger, but barely.

I would rather have Mandoraboy over the plushes. He at least served a purpose and didn't pop up in the middle of the show for no reason.

9. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Such as?

And that's different from other Sentais, how?

They're piloting Goggle Caesar. At least that's something different from the usual fare.

Wasn't Goggle V his first Sentai where he's starting by just emulating what came before? It's Dynaman where we start seeing the beginnings of more developed characters and plots.

As for Deathdark as a whole, they're really not a bad concept for villains. They're very New World Order cultish. How they and villains like them are written however is another story. Kamen Rider has this problem: the series has always delved into secret societies with a dash of the paranormal, even the recent shows from W onward, but the execution hasn't always been that great.

Liveman took what Bioman introduced and did it better.

What purpose, beyond being annoying?

10. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

Then you're easily bored? Not sure what to tell you, doc.
    I thought the same thing when you said the same for Bioman, how the hell does someone listen to its opening and find it sleep inducing? That's some prime adventure music right there!
    That isn't particularly a good thing.
    Like any sentai series.
    At least they get centric episodes, Blue and Yellow barely even get that much.
    Only in the music department, you do remember that was the series with Brajira, right? it's easily in my top five!

11. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Such as what? Nearly all of them. I know absolutely nothing about Goggle Blue, Goggle Pink, Change Mermaid, Pink Five, Blue Three, Change Pegasus, Change Phoenix, Red One, Black Mask, Yellow Mask, Pink Mask, etc. Hell, the only notable thing about Change Mermaid is that she is one skirt inch away from the show having to be called Dengeki Hentai Changeman.

Because in the shows from Zyuranger on, the mech battles actually had variations to them. Also, not every episode needed to have a mech battle. The mechs were also builts up as the rangers would not always get them immediately. Every friggin episode of Liveman had to have a mech battle in it despite it no making any sense.

But it makes them bland. Hell, I don't even know why Goggle Pink even exists as she has done absolutely nothing thus far (up to ep 30 now). It's like she is only there for fanservice reasons.

True, which is why I can give some leeway to Goggle V since it was his first. As for Dynaman, eh, 35 episodes in and the only thing significant about Pink is she is afraid of cats, but they never tell us why. She just is. Also, Yellow and Blue are rather bland too. Red and Black are easily the best of the character, with Black being the most developed. I mean, we learned that he is from a ninja clan and grew up with expectations, he wants to meet aliens, etc.

I agree there.

Yes, but Liveman made the biggest mistakes by adding in Green, Black, and the two "aliens."

I didn't say he wasn't annoying, but he was there to mentor the rangers.

12. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Well when they spend 2 hours transforming the mech over and over again, have the mech combine, punch or kick, and then pull out its sword and slice the monster, it gets boring. Changeman was a huge culprit of this. Where is the actual fight choreography? Like what we got with Ryuuseioh and Baron Strings? Or Won Tiger and Ring Priestess? Daizyujin and Dora Sphinx? RV Robo and QQ Kyutan? Yugande vs Galaxy Mega?

I don't know. Bioman did nothing for me at all. I also found the opening average at best. Green Two was my favorite of the group, especially the episode when he was in Vice City.

Now Dynaman, on the other hand, has a really rockin', energetic theme. DyDyDyDyDynaman.

Yes it is. They have to balance their lives between school and being heroes the same way Spider-Man did back in the 60s. If you have a show with teenage heroes and they don't feel realistic, it doesn't work, ruining the whole show.

Not really. Except for Enter in Go-Busters, the main villains for Sentai have sucked ever since Gekiranger ended.

Pink doesn't. She's had two episodes to her name in 30 episodes and one of them had her nearly die. Yellow had the episode with his father. I know far more about Yellow than the rest of the rangers. You are right about Blue though. Although it looks like episode 31 is finally going to give him one.

Goseiger is one of the worst Sentai series I have ever watched. There is a reason I can not make it past episode 10 on all three attempts I've done. Even when I did check out later episodes I found myself just not giving a damn as I hate the cast. The rangers are so puny. At least the ToQGers had a reason to be childish brats (the other worthless Sentai show in my book).

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  13. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Clearly you don't pay attention to details (which unfortunately is a penchant for you, missing things that were obvious to everyone else), or you expect things to be spoonfed to you in "This character is __".

Bioman's mecha fights have plenty of variation despite it having only one combo and limited weapons. More so than later shows with a whole warehouse of mechas and weapons. Your complaint applies to the entire series with few exceptions, so it makes no sense to focus on Soda exclusively.

Not being in the robot makes them bland? That statement has no basis in logic whatsoever.

I still don't get why everyone hates those people. The only thing I hated was the episode where Junichi gets impregnated by a Brain Beast.

14. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Becuase they were lackluster characters that added nothing to the show, they brought in forced comedy, and really ruined the dynamic that was going on between the trio of rangers and the trio of villains.

Also, I don't have to be spoonfed anything, but I expect to actually learn about the characters IN A 50 EPISODE SHOW! They never once went into Change Mermaid's backstory. Change Phoenix had a comment about her being a sickly child and that was it. Why were the characters of Changeman even chosen by the Earth Force? They didn't do anything different from the rest of the trainees. They are all as bland as Garu is in Kyuuranger. That is just piss poor story telling, especially for a show that is 50 episodes long. Are you saying it is too much to ask to actually have character development for the main characters of a show that lasts 16+ hours? Gator had far more development than the ranger cast.

The problem I have with Soda's era of mech battles is that if you have seen one, you have seen them all. They go through the exact same motions and a lot of times you can tell they are only there because heaven forbid an episode not have one as a child might suddenly lose interest in the entire series without a mech in one episode.

With that said, I am not saying the shows are down right terrible at all. I have been entertained by most of the ones I have watched, but after the years of hearing how amazing they were (especially Chageman), I find myself feeling let down. Either my expectations were too high or it was better when you were able to experience those shows in chronological order and got to see their progression first hand, not knowing what would come later.

BTW, 38 episodes into Goggle V now and Desmark has still not done jack shit. Why did they even bother with him when the two other scientists could have just done the same? Oh, and is Taboo going to actually do something or does he just plan on standing behind that plastic window for the entire show? Does he need some Visine?

I do need to mention how awesome the Mexican and Cowboy Assassin episodes have been for this show though. Despite being racist, they have been a blast.

15. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Define "racist". The word has no meaning anymore. Granted I haven't watched Goggle V yet but if you're talking about stereotypes, then welcome to reality.

As for Changeman, I still think you're missing obvious things about the characters. Are they as well developed as in Jetman, Megaranger or a Kobayashi show? No. But just because an episode doesn't devote all its time into character focus doesn't mean that they don't have any character.

Your comment on mecha again applies to the entire series. Changeman's mecha fights aren't that interesting, but Bioman's are for the reasons I've mentioned, as are Maskman's, Zyuranger's, Ohranger's, and some others. Even Battle Fever J has some memorable ones.

16. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

It was a joke...

Haven't seen Battle Fever J yet, but I have seen the final battle and boy it is lame. The boss didn't even do anything but sit there.