Shout! Factory To Release Hurricaneger

Discussion in 'The ORB - News & Rumors' started by Toku Prime, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Tom Strong

Tom Strong New Member

So what's been happening with Shout Factory lately? Three months ago we had all this hulabaloo about Fiveman supposedly being their next Sentai release, but we've had no new announcements or releases from them since Hurricanger. Does anyone know anything new?

2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Shout! told me on Twitter 2 weeks ago they do not have any more licenses at the moment.

PowerPhantom245 likes this.
  3. PowerPhantom245

PowerPhantom245 Lurker

Well, that sucks. :(
    I was looking forward to see Abaranger DVD, assuming if Shout was planning to release that after Fiveman.
    Hopefully, Hasbro would renew license at some point.

4. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Yeah, it's weird how Bruno even showed off a blurry cover to Fiveman but now they don't have the license at all. I'm just wondering if the transition from Saban to Hasbro has slowed up the licensing process.

Abaranger is the only Sentai beyond Fiveman I have never seen subtitled, so I also was looking forward to Shout!'s release. I know Imagination Station had fully subbed the show, but I've been holding off watching their release so I can see the show subbed officially for the first time. Oh well. If they don't announce anything after I get through JAKQ, Shinken, and Battle Fever J I might just go ahead and watch IS' fansubs.

5. Shougo B'Stard

Shougo B'Stard Would like to change his avatar

Home Page:
    It would be nice if someone asked Hasbro what's up. I ain't doing it, I didn't care for the stinky attitude Shout had when asked.

I really think these releases are done. Hasbro's probably not interested since they just want to focus on PR, and maybe Toei's even not interested in dealing with the toy company that's not the one they've been partnered with for decades. I think Hurricaneger was probably already worked out with Saban Brands, and Hasbro was obligated to do it.

I was *this* close to throwing away my copies of Fiveman not too long ago, thinking "Well, Shout's supposed to release that." I'm glad I didn't.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  6. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

The guy who does the intros for Shout's Sentai streams, August Ragone, recently dropped a possible hint on twitter. During a conversation about Japanese Spiderman, a fan mentioned how rare official toku releases are and he replied "let's just say there's more on the way - and not just from Shout!"

So who knows what's currently being negotiated.

7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

What are you talking about? Hasbro and Toei work together all of the time. And it wouldn't be the first time Shout! released a Hasbro and Toei product since they did the Transformers master trilogy.

I actually deleted my Fiveman fansubs after I did my review last year and used the footage I needed for the Soda panel was doing. Honestly, other than Gekiranger and maybe Gokaiger, I'm not going to watch any Sentai show fansubbed if I'm not reviewing it anymore since I've got official subbed DVDs to watch repeatedly. Not to mention that 8 of the 12 releases are in my top 10 Sentai shows of all time list.

Hell, I just deleted my Go-Onger files last week as the only way I will ever suffer that putrid piss stain again is if it gets an official US release.

8. Shougo B'Stard

Home Page:
    That's a little different than Super Sentai's lifeblood being Bandai. And you think Toei would work with the franchise's sponsor's rival just to release the shows to a niche group in another country? Money talks, and I guess they could for a crazy fee, but I think it's obvious Hasbro's not interested and just wants to stay focused on PR. Because the world needs more Tommy Oliver merchandise!

9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

How do you figure that? Hasbro just got the rights, they haven't had time to show one way or another.

There's only been one Tommy related product released so far with 3 others out that isn't Tommy, an upcoming SDCC set that isn't Tommy, and another wave with rumors of characters that aren't Tommy.

10. Shougo B'Stard

Home Page:
    I figure that they just acquired the rights, so they're going to want to focus on just that and building their on spin on the brand and not give a damn about the franchise's funky Japanese father.

We'd also have a new Shout release, now wouldn't we? People have been vocal enough about wanting more.

11. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Not neccessarily. I doubt Hasbro really has any say in the discussions between Shout! and Toei outside of Shout! just wanting to be respectful to them.

12. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

IIRC when the first Shout set was announced they mentioned that it had required them to sit down with both Saban and Toei for negotiations, as Saban was considered the 'master licenser' for everything Sentai/Ranger in North America. So Shout were sub-licensing the rights from Saban and then trying to get source material from Toei. So it's possible that they do need to go through Hasbro in order to license a season for DVD.

Dr Kain likes this.
  13. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Thanks for the clarification on that.

Another thing it could be is that Hasbro just hasn't had time to sit down with Shout! and Toei to discuss Sentai yet, especially since they were quite busy this summer promoting Endgame.

14. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

And though it's been said before, it bears repeating. Even though Shout! Factory was on a roll with how often they were releasing Super Sentai, they have to pace themselves. They can't catch up to any of the more recent series within the past couple or so years. The closer they get to the show currently airing, the more Toei will probably want to promote it much harder. As in putting in on television, dubbing it, selling toys in America, etc. Not only is that way more effort than giving a 10+ year old series a direct-to-video release, but it's also kind of rude and unprofessional to try and compete against Power Rangers when you just got permission from the license holders. (There might even be a contractual agreement not to do that?)

I want to believe that Hasbro really does have a lot on its hands right now, and just hasn't found the time to look at Shout! Factory's Sentai releases. I mean, if it really is the end, it was a wonderful ride all the way to the end. But taking a break could be a good thing too. Could give either company time to strategize its next moves. If there is still lots of demand for the Sentai movies; maybe Shout! Factory could find a way to get the rights to that as well (because that's a different rights agreement), they could probably release them in their own boxsets. Not to mention the other tokusatsu adaptions that Shout! Factory could look into if the Sentai well has run dry; Kamen Rider Black RX, B-Fighter, B-Fighter Kabuto, Metalder, etc. (Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?)

15. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

A fan at SDCC went to the Shout! booth and asked them what was happening with the Sentai DVDs. The rep said they want to do more but Hasbro currently has them on hold, with no idea when they'll be able to continue.

16. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Which is exactly what I expected as that makes sense.

17. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

Well, no promises, but Bruno from MMPRToys predicts that we might have an update around September. Shout Factory hasn't canceled their Super Sentai releases, they just need to iron out the details (presumably with Hasbro).

18. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Honestly, I will be surprised if we hear about more releases before next year. There is no way Hasbro could have gone through their entire acquisition already.

PowerPhantom245 likes this.
  19. april70

april70 New Member

That gives me time to buy the other 5 sets off Shout I don't have counting Jet Man.

Also Beast Morphers likely in 2020 on DVD. So for 2019 and 20 that's time for me to buy what Shout has.

20. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

Well, September has come and gone. It's October now. Haven't heard any updates.
    Has anyone else heard anything?