Shout! Factory To Release Hurricaneger

Discussion in 'The ORB - News & Rumors' started by Toku Prime, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

[​IMG]
    Shout! Factory has announced that Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger is now available to pre-order in advance of a release on 26th March 2019.

2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Yep, saw and this may be the best thing to happen to Sentai in the first quarter of 2019.

3. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

Ah, the third worst sentai series after Gokaiger and Megaranger, we still have a ways to go until Magiranger.

4. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

First you say Build is the worst Toku ever and now you say Gokai, Mega, and Hurri are the three worst Sentai shows? Yet you praise Magi? Seriously, are you on crack? Sure, Hurricaneger is not exactly an amazing show, but it is most certainly better than everything that came out after it that doesn't have Aba, Gokai, and Geki in their title and it is most certainly superior to most of the shows from the 80s.

Magiranger has a crappy ass ranger cast. The Lovecraftian villains are what ultimately save that show.

Also, Megaranger is one of the best Sentai shows. It tried to do far more new things that Magi ever did. Not to mention the Neijirangers could kick the Infershia Gods' asses.

If you want to see what really are the worst Sentai shows, watch Turbo, Nin, ToQ, Kyuu, Bio, or Gosei.

Anyway, some little twat on Twitter has been arguing with Shout! Factory on how Hurricaneger is "supposed" to be spelled despite Shout! have to spell it the way Toei told them to (which they even responded with and the brat is still arguing it).

5. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

Says the guy that called Bioman's opening theme boring, I should ask you the same thing.
    I don't agree, but to each their own-
    1. It had the best cast and 2. How are the villains Lovecraftian? Capital what the hell am I reading here.
    It's like the Kiryu Godzilla movies: For a long time it was the worst entry bar none.
    New =/= good. Minor tangent but why are critics on the internet so obsessed with change, are you guys Tzeentch worshipers? Is there some secret binaural beat session that makes you guys addicted to change? Consistency is a good thing.
    Yeah, no, they just stomp on them.
    I have seen the vast majority of Super Sentai and I am three quarters through Kyuranger which has a solid chance of ending up in my top 4 at the rate its going and this is where I rank every sentai series I finished (because I never drop anything):

Magiranger > Changeman > Go-Busters > Timeranger > Fiveman > Goseiger > GoGo-V > Zyuranger > Go-Onger > Kyoryuger > Gingaman > Dekaranger > Denziman > Ohranger > Toquger > Shinkenger > Gaoranger > Bioman > Carranger > Zyuohger > Dynaman > Abaranger > Maskman > Goggle-V > Boukenger > Turboranger > Battle Fever J > Ninninger > Flashman > Gorenger > Dairanger > JAKQ > Kakuranger > Jetman > Gekiranger > Sun Vulcan > Liveman > Hurricanger > Megaranger > Gokaiger

And all six of the shows you mentioned blow Hurricanger out of the water.

6. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

Hurricanger would have been fine if it didn't have one of the worst sixth rangers. It's probably my least favourite 00s Sentai until Go-Onger, but I wouldn't call it one of the worst shows.

Also, I do think Magi is great but
    At some point everything becomes redundant. You can't just repeat same things year after year forever. Sentai nearly died because of bad ratings so many times and every show that revitalized it (Jetman, Carranger etc) was trying to be something new. If every show is just like
    previous one, it can't offer you any new experience, instead giving you an experience you already had, so people simply become bored with it after a while, especially since there are plenty of different things you can watch instead.

7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Meanwhile, I think Shurikinger is one of the best sixth rangers ever.

Are you being serious? Like seriously, serious? Do you even know that N-Ma is based on Cthulhu right down the initial appearance being taken from one of the book covers. Also, Dagon is a Lovecraft creature.

Except the Kiryu movies are some of the best Godzilla movies ever made, especially the first one which has well written characters, some of the best miniature work of the franchise, a MechaGodzilla that makes sense, and is done in a realistic mannter.

Becuase a franchise with 43 entires needs to be different. That's why the show was failing in the late 80s, it was doing the same shit over.

You put Dai, Kaku, Geki, and Jet towards the bottom, which shows how wrong you are, or how much you are trolling. Not to mention Gorenger is far better than most of most of these shows. Gorenger is a top 15 Sentai.

Actually, this list makes sense with your comment about not liking character development since many of those shows in your upper half don't feature any.

8. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

I've read a lot of Lovecraft stories and no he really doesn't.
    Lovecraft's Dagon is a reimagining of a real life Canaanite sea god: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagon
    That's a funny way of saying worst. It's okay Doc, you're not on Toho Kingdom, you can be honest here without those guys trying to drive you into suicidal depression like they almost did me.
    All of which can be summed up as "BWAHAHAHAHA WE ARE SO AWESOME AND HAUGHTY GODZILLA IS TOTALLY GOING TO LOSE- WAIT OUR FUEL INEFFICIENT SUPER DUPER WEAPON WASN'T ONE HIT KILL OH NOW I'M WETTING MYSELF WITH FEAR!" Every human in that was smug and deserved atomic termination by the nuclear leviathan.
    All Mechagodzillas "make sense", giant monsters fight other giant monsters.
    Assuming you misspelled manner realism is not a good or bad thing so it does not factor into movies. Realism means nothing.
    That is what looks and names are for.
    More like I am right, I am not trolling, and you are overreacting to nothing.
    Not really, it had things going against it like high episode count, low production values, the music not being as good, faulty editing, and writing choices even you criticized in your review. Your reviews (and most for that matter) fail to describe things like cinematography, lighting, angling, and sound mixing and editing which I always take into account. People that only take plot and characters seriously have their own medium, it's called books (something the right wingers at Anime News Network need to grow a brain about).
    They all had character development, you just dropped them or have such an insanely high standard you broke into another dimension.

9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I never said Gorenger was perfect, but it was still better than half of the entire franchise out there. I also stated that in my review. Give me Gorenger over any Soda show any day. Although, I stated the music was quite good in Gorenger in my review. Also, I always talk about cinematography and sound in my reviews. Clearly you don't watch them if you don't even know that. Hell, I am constantly praising the Soda shows in my reviews for its camera work.

Dropped what though? I suffered every episode of nearly every show I listed. Gosei and ToQ are the only ones I have ever stopped watching and never watched the show in its entirety (I attempted 3 times on Gosei).

Characters and plot ARE important to a story though. Why would I want to spend countless hours watching a 50 episode series if the characters and plot suck? Changing the gimmick doesn't make things good.

Lastly, yes, N-Ma was directly ripped off of the cover of a Call of Cthulhu book. A friend of mine used to have it and someone posted it on Japan Hero way back in the day when Magi was airing.

10. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

I thought you were supposed to be opposing Captain Shark, not adopting his bonkers mentality.

11. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I don't think Fiveman, Liveman, Turboranger, Goggle V, Maskman, and Bioman are all that great, honestly. With a few exceptions, their rangers are flatter than the paper they were conceived on and the shows feature way too many mech battles and too many Monsters of the Week. Like I give Bioman credit for trying to do new things, but neither the heroes nor villains are interesting in the slightest. Even Changeman had a pretty generic ranger cast, but some of their villains were developed quite well enough to excel the show compared to its brethren. Of course, Dynaman is by far the most fun I've had of the 80s stuff and it is a shame MFC quietly dropped the show with only 15 episodes to go as I've been told the last 15 episodes are intense.

Hurricanger, while playing it safe, had development for its ranger teams, the Gouraigers started out bad, Shurukinger kept you guessing as who he really was, Saturokuro and Sargain were awesomely badass, it had pretty decent mech battles, among other things. I'd still put it in the middle of the road as far as Sentai series go, but I'll take it over a lot of the shows I mentioned.

12. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

All right, everyone. It's official. The spelling is indeed Hurricaneger. It might offend your western sense of proper grammar, but that is the spelling.
    Now the only thing left to see if they actually translate the word Ninpuu or or not. I won't be against it, but if they do, I seriously hope they don't translate it as "Ninja Storm". I know, that technically is one way to translate it, but I still like to have some dissonance between the two shows.

Also...
    @Dr Kain, @Kamen Rider IXA
    Please don't feed Captain Shark. I've said this before and I'll say it again. Shark has made up his mind about the toku shows he does & does not prefer, he is not looking to be challenged, he doesn't want anyone to change his mind, he just wants to be stubborn as cause trouble by flaunting his opinions as if they are facts. (And if Shark replies saying something like "They ARE facts", then he's just proving my point.)

13. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

What do you mean? Ninpuu is right there in the title not translated.

As for not feeding the shark, that isn't any fun. Sometimes it's worth dropping a Felix Leighter or two. :p

14. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

This is why I watch tokusatsu even if plot and character's aren't good, if I wanted just plot and character junk I'd either read some old tired book or a realistic drama, which I rarely do. Entertainment is made to escape reality after all, not be reminded of it.

15. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

In the Gingaman boxset, despite what was printed on the box, the subs would sometimes translate "Seijuu" as "Star Beast". I've seen screenshots confirming this. So I am hoping they'll do the same for Hurricaneger.

16. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

True, the Gingaman subs were just a nightmare all around from a translation aspect (they also used Toei's official English lyrics for the opening song, so the subs read Galactic Warriors Gingaman there). There was no consistency at all with those ones. Not to mention the last disc is mistimed. Fortunately, GoGoFIve, Timeranger, and Jetman have been near perfect.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  17. mbozzo

mbozzo New Member

:cool: The Sentai version of Ninja Storm is coming to America. Thank you, Shout Factory.

18. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

I'm a little behind on collecting the Super Sentai boxsets, but thanks to Shout Factory, I've seen some clips. And I gotta say, it's interesting.

Sometimes they translate "Ninpuu" as Ninja-Style. Sometimes they translate it as simply Ninja. Most of the time, when the rangers give their roll-call, it goes untranslated.
    Good job on consistency there, Shout Factory! ;) (Still gonna buy the boxset eventually. My nitpicks are all in harmless, good fun.)

19. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Oh great, so it sounds like the subs to Gingaman all over again. Then again, they've been doing that since Dairanger as they would translate Byakkoshinken to White Tiger Sword, but then when they would call him, the subs would say Byakko.

Oh well. My main concern is whether or not every episode's subs are timed properly. That is my biggest pet peeve and should be the simplist one to avoid, yet, it continues to be an issue.

SamuraiEchidna likes this.
  20. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Just arrived:

[​IMG]

Of course, I won't have time to start it until next week, but oh well.