Shout! Factory Obtains Saban License- Power Rangers Seasons on DVD!

Discussion in 'The Power Chamber' started by Arkvoodle, Mar 12, 2012.

1. SabanRanger

SabanRanger IT'S MORPHIN' TIME!!!

Yay! Finally, I can watch original MMPR on my laptop without having to torrent. Where do I get the DVDs, though?

2. The link I provided in my preceding post should direct you.

3. Markiegee50X

Markiegee50X Kamen Rider 1

Home Page:
    Way cool, I'm a huge PR fan since 1999, I never got my hands on a Power Ranger DVD, I hope I'll get my chance this year!

4. Simango6

Simango6 Member

I bought Shout Factory's run through Power Rangers RPM. Now I own all 700 episodes prior to the
    1 year skip before Samurai. I got the 4 box sets in order.

5. Since Shout! Factory had a PMC sale in August and I bought the Ohranger set while taking advantage of it, I figured I'd also order the MMPR complete series set reissue since I was curious about how things would look. I can just give it to a friend as a Christmas present since I got some other titles for my friend. So now I'll share the pictures I took.

[​IMG]
    Since we've already seen the front cover art, I'll just spare you all and show you what the back looks like. As you can see, it's basically the same design as the original MMPR set with some different colors.

[​IMG]
    Instead of releasing this set with the first two seasons split up in two cases, they decided to put the six discs for each of those seasons in one case. The season 1 set is actually that set they were selling exclusively at Walmart. The season 3 set and the Alien Rangers set are the ones being sold individually in general retail. The bonus disc case is the same as the original, and it also includes the booklet, though its cover is the same as in the original set. So this set is the same size as the seasons 4-7 set.

[​IMG]
    A shot of all the cases in the set, showing their front cover art.

[​IMG]
    The back of the season 1 set.

[​IMG]
    The inside of the season 1 set's front.

[​IMG]
    The inside of the season 1 set's rear.

[​IMG]
    Front cover art of the season 2 set. It's the same that's shown in Walmart's listing for their complete season 2 set, which in stores is actually both volumes from that season bundled in the same shrink wrap.

[​IMG]
    The inside of the season 2 set's front.

[​IMG]
    The inside of the season 2 set's rear.

[​IMG]
    The back of the season 2 set.

As you've seen in some of the pictures, the disc art is totally identical to all other releases (with the exception of the legacy set of course).

So now that I've gotten a look at this set, it seems kind of worth it for Shout! Factory to re-release it with different cover art with all the other changes that were made. It's cool that they put all the discs for each of the first two seasons in the same casing, yet they used the individual versions of season 3 and Alien Rangers. Still, I kind of like the look of the original set better with the five sets representing each of the colors of the basic five rangers.

I'll also show some comparison photos.

[​IMG]
    Front box art.

[​IMG]
    Rear box art.

[​IMG]
    Top view.

[​IMG]
    Spines of the slipcases.

[​IMG]
    Spines of the individual sets arranged in their slipcases.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Front covers, spines, and rear covers of season 1 sets; Time-Life's season 1 set, Walmart exclusive & MMPR complete series set reissue, and split volumes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Front covers, spines, and rear covers of season 2 sets; MMPR complete series set reissue and split volumes.

6. Even though there's still no word about an S.P.D. release, Shout! Factory is putting out an MMPR DVD called "Best of Blue" on February 28th. The Amazon listing states it's 120 minutes. So that's six episodes. Possible choices for this release are:

I, Eye Guy*
    Peace, Love and Woe*
    Dark Warrior (?)
    Switching Places (?)
    Something Fishy*
    Grumble Bee*
    Putty on the Brain (?)
    Opposites Attract*
    The Great Bookala Escape (?)
    Blue Ranger Gone Bad*

The ones with asterisks are episodes that aired during Fox Kids' True Blue Week where they aired episodes featuring Billy, and premiered "Blue Ranger Gone Bad" at the end on Saturday. That was the week of May 15-20, 1995. Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if the DVD did contain all of those episodes.

I wonder if they plan on doing releases like this for all the rangers.

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Morph...&ie=UTF8&qid=1478558576&sr=1-1&keywords=Power

7. I thought that the Best of Blue DVD would just have episodes featuring Billy as the Blue Ranger, because of its cover art, and the fact that it has the MMPR logo on it. Actually, according to its Walmart listing, it'll have five episodes (not six as I originally thought), and each episode is from five different seasons. Instead of just MMPR, it'll cover Space, Time Force, Ninja Storm, and Dino Thunder. We still don't know what those exact episodes are, and Shout! Factory still doesn't have a listing for it on their site.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Power-Rangers-Best-Of-Blue-Full-Frame/55192711#about-item

8. ForeverBlue

ForeverBlue The Cookie Man!

I should have gone with the series sets instead of buying the individual seasons from Amazon.ca..I think I'll buy the series sets so that I can watch the bonus features and take the individual seasons to the used store.

9. You most likely won't regret it. What individual seasons did you buy?

Best Buy has a listing for a MMPR seasons 1 & 2 set that's scheduled for release on March 7th. Maybe listings will show up on other retail sites like Amazon in the future.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mighty-...on-1-2-dvd/5714410.p?id=3671761&skuId=5714410

10. ForeverBlue

I already have MMPR Season 1 (complete), MMPR Season 2 vol 1 & 2, MMPR Season 3, MMAR arc, Zeo vol 1 & 2, Turbo vol 1 & 2, In Space vol 1 & 2, Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force, Wild Force and Ninja Storm. Do plan to get Dino Thunder & SPD. I had thought about skipping Mystic Force, OO (definately a skipper for sure), JF and RPM.

I only forgotten that the bonuses DVDs only comes with the series sets. I kinda wonder if Shout! Factory will release the the bonus verses DVDs from those series sets seperately or in a in a case set together in the near future? Normally I never watch all bonus features in tv shows or movies...just a few of them that interest me.

On Amazon.ca, all each individual seasons were somewhere between 20 to 25 dollars. Of course, the shipping costs is added anyways. The series sets are so expensive so I guess I did made the right choice to get the individual seasons without being able to have any bonus features DVDs.

11. I doubt they'd do that. I've never heard of other studios putting out DVDs that consist solely of bonus features from main DVD/Blu-ray titles.

12. ForeverBlue

True...they never do anyways.

Are the PR bonus features necessary to watch? If fans like me, don't buy the series sets and stick with the individual series (as they are cheaper to buy), no big loss if we don't get to watch any PR bonus features?

What I should of done was...instead of buying the individual seasons, I could have increased my amazon gift card balance more (up to 300 or 400) and then start ordering the first series set, and then the 2nd series set. After that, increase the gift card balance more again and then order the 3rd series set (this one is like $161) and then order the 4th series after including the gift card balance again. Wasn't thinking hard of enough before I ordered the first season. Oh well lol

If your wondering when I started ordering the individual seasons, it was in fall 2015

13. They don't add anything to the story. Some are interviews that have actors, crew members, and fans talking about the show. Then there are those direct-to-video releases, TV specials, and promos. Special features from the DVDs that Disney put out are even on Shout! Factory's DVDs. If you're into that sort of thing, by all means, give it a go.

14. Shout! Factory now tells us what episodes the Best of Blue DVD will have. First of all, it'll have six episodes and they're all from MMPR, and not from different seasons like the Walmart listing states.

Peace, Love and Woe
    Dark Warrior
    Switching Places
    Something Fishy
    Grumble Bee
    Blue Ranger Gone Bad

It'll also have an interview with David Yost as a special feature, which is most likely a conglomerate of select snippets of his interviews from the box sets.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShoutFactory/status/818637964313915393?p=p

15. ForeverBlue

They forgot Power Ranger Punks which is before Switching Places.

16. They picked random episodes. The set features Billy-focused episodes, and "Power Ranger Punks" is more of a Kimberly-focused episode.

17. Since the Best of Blue release would have an interview with David Yost on it, I figured I'd get it to make comparisons to the interviews on the box sets. Before I go into that though, I'll just show some pictures first.

We've already seen the cover art, but this one also has a label. It incorrectly mentions having five episodes when it really has six. That Walmart listing said it would have an episode from five different seasons, but that may or may not have anything to do with the label saying five.
    [​IMG]

Rear cover art.
    [​IMG]

Inner casing art. You'd probably expect to see the episode listing inside like how the other sets did, but they mention all the episodes on the back anyway.
    [​IMG]

Disc art.
    [​IMG]

The interview runs for about 12 minutes. Just like I thought it might, it takes bits from the interviews in which David Yost took part from the first two box sets. It uses snippets from "Morphin Time! A Look Back at MMPR" and "A Morphenomenal Cast: A Look Inside Becoming a Power Ranger" from the MMPR set, and "Behind the Mask: Celebrating the Stunt Team" from the seasons 4-7 set. There are extended versions of the David Yost bits from those features, and other stuff that didn't make it into the features as seen in their box sets. It also has bits from casting director Katy Wallin, Tony Oliver, Walter Jones, and Jason David Frank from the Morphenomenal Cast feature, where they talked about David Yost.