Shout! Factory Obtains Saban License- Power Rangers Seasons on DVD!

Discussion in 'The Power Chamber' started by Arkvoodle, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Okay, you're upset. We get it.

2. Shogun_Master

Shogun_Master Why is every good TV show Cancelled

Well, when they released Pokemon on DVD box set, they had it at standard season price, about $50-$55. Given the shows are older & we're getting the equivelant of 20-30 episode seasons, depending on which you get, I'd place it in the upper fourties, lower fifties in US dollars. Sixties or seventies on Bluray (which is why I prefer DVD, it's not like my 11 yr old TV can tell the differance...)

So, while I'm here, are we absolutely sure these are season sets? The article wasn't specific as to if we'd get re-releases of old tapes, the full seasons on separate volumes, or box sets or two or more of these. All it said was DVD releases for MMPR-PRRPM.

3. monkeyjb1988

monkeyjb1988 Lurker

I'm excited for news about Power Rangers on DVD. I do prefer Sentai, but I still have a huge spot in my heart for PR, especially MMPR and any season that's not similar to it's Sentai season (I applaud when the writers make original shows despite the limits of using another show's footage, even if the resulting show is less than stellar). I do hope they do a remaster for HD like ST:TNG, but I'll be satisfied with DVDs right now.

I am excited that Shout is promising extras too and I've seen behind the scene footage they could use for those. Heck, they can do what Classic Media did for their Godzilla 1954 DVD and just use some narrator over photos/footage. I would like to see retrospectives from the cast, but if narrator/footage is what we get, I will consider this a decent set. I'm personally hoping the 2nd season set, like it's German counterpart, includes Power Rangers Live. Hopefully Saban still has the higher than VHS quality master tape to make a very nice looking showing, but any inclusion would be awesome. I can hope and it wouldn't be tougher than two extra episode.

I am curious as to why Samurai isn't included, but I can see the reason being either that Nickelodeon would want the DVD sales of their own show or that Samurai is too new to be included. I also get the movies not being included, as they weren't included when Disney got the series, but that raises a question not related to the DVDs: Why weren't the movies included when Disney own everything else? Oh well. :sweat:

RPM is included. Check TVShowsonDVD.com's article, RPM is there. It's Samurai that's left out, but like I said before, there's any reason as to why that got left out. As for Sentai...

There are legit releases. I admit, I know you're talking about subtitled releases. I'm just not a fan of "Oh, there's no legit releases of Sentai" when I know almost every series is out (I think Turboranger is the last to get one). They much more expensive and has no trace of English and thus not on many fans' radars, but they're as legit as any DVDs at Toys R Us. (Cookie to whoever guesses where I work :laugh:).

That said, I do hope the PR and other show sets do have a short featurette about the corresponding Toku. I'm not holding much hope for that and it wouldn't break the set for me. I would just think it'd be cool.

Good case. I wouldn't start saying "Gokaiger is the next PR" but that's a semi decent case. I still think it could be a mix of Goseiger and Gokaiger (Goseiger just screams PR to me. :laugh:)

That is sad. I don't know if turning a TV's close captioning on will work on DVDs, but it is sad that subtitles aren't included. Hopefully Power Rangers will be the exception. I'll check if I think of it to see a TV's CC can overcome the lack of DVD CC, but CC on DVD sounds like something that should be included as part of a disability law.

4. Keith Justice

Keith Justice Eat My Justice!

I think we clicked them off the internet. :D

5. StriderXXX

StriderXXX Banned

are these in it...??

[HIDE][​IMG]
    [​IMG][/HIDE]

6. Shogun_Master

Shogun_Master Why is every good TV show Cancelled

The main problem with TV based subtitles is that they work entirely off of speech recognition. I don't know how well the tech has improved, but it tends to get things majorly confused, sometimes just spewing out lines of gibberish & symbols.

I'm glad we're getting season box sets, though, the only problem is that I'll be spendiing all my spare money on TV shows this year- Nikita season 2, Terranova season 1, & PR Lost Galaxy, Time Force, Wild Force, Dino Thunder & RPM, at the least... Oh well, it's worth it.:thumbs:

7. Keith Justice

Keith Justice Eat My Justice!

And by clicking them off the internet, I mean since the news dropped... their url hasn't been working:
    http://www.shoutfactory.com/

8. Zander Yurami

Zander Yurami HJU's master of disguise

Home Page:
    This happens a lot it seems. Found a lot of posts from different years saying that the site has been down for weeks at a time

9. kamen rider simon

kamen rider simon Member

im glad a piece of my Childhood is Coming on DVD And if there taking Pre Orders i'll Order it

10. Undrave

Undrave CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!

This is nice considering how Netflix Canada dropped the ball on those ><

11. There was that part of the article that said: Initial rollout plans for the Saban are slated to begin in summer 2012, according to Shout! Factory, with single-season sets to start and potentially complete-series sets in the future. Look at the link again.

12. MetalSymphony

MetalSymphony Banned

o_O
    What could "Complete series sets" be?

Like "The Zordon Era" (MMPR - InSpace), "After Zordon" (Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force), "The New Era" (Wild Force, Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder), "The Dynamic Era" (SPD - RPM).

13. RedRanger89

RedRanger89 It's Morphin' Time!

Can't wait. :D

14. kamen rider simon

kamen rider simon Member

i'll attempt to buy ALL Of them

15. ForeverRed

ForeverRed has left HJU. Not coming back.

My guess...

MMPR season 1, Volume 1
    MMPR season 1, Volume 2
    MMPR season 2 complete set or MMPR season 2, Volume 1 and Volume 2
    MMPR season 3 complete set or MMPR season 3, Volume 1 and Volume 2
    Power Rangers Zeo complete set
    ....etc... etc....

16. kamen rider simon

kamen rider simon Member

my thoughts Exactly

17. Sounds plenty reasonable enough to me as well. So, cosigned.

18. MetalSymphony

MetalSymphony Banned

That reminds me of how Funimation does things sometimes.

Like with the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime. First they released the vanilla single disc releases (later reissued in slimline cases), then next put it all into 4 quarter-season box sets (season 1: part 1, season 1: part 2 and etc), followed later by two season sets (just both parts of the season in one box) and finally a "Complete Series" set.

19. Tom Constantine

Tom Constantine Chief HJU News Editor

Home Page:
  20. Dark Heart

Dark Heart The Bun Is In Your Mind

What confuses me about the whole Netflix/Shout! Factory deal is the fact we don't get "Masked Rider". What are they doing to it? Are they fixing it or something? They can't pretend it didn't happen (far too much evidence), and they also took down all the Masked Rider episodes on YouTube. What are they doing?