Should there be a third Henshin Hero franchise? What would it be?

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by Sage Shinigami, May 28, 2010.

1. Sage Shinigami

Sage Shinigami Member

Y'know, I'm pretty big on anime. And there's a LOT of new anime every few months to check out. If I hate one, there's always another out there.

...But with Toku/Henshin Hero (which I'm also a huge fan of), its much different. If that year's Super Sentai sucks, all I have is Kamen Rider. If Kamen Rider sucks, then I've got, well...nothing.

Ideally for me, Henshin Hero would have at least four or five series every year. But that's not very likely. But a third Henshin Hero franchise? People have been trying it for a while now, albeit so far there's been little success. So I'm curious? Does anyone else want a third Henshin Hero franchise? And what would you choose it to be? Chou Sei Shin? Tomica Rescue Hero? Uchuu Keiji? Possibly something brand-new?

Let's hear it.

2. Ryuutaros

Ryuutaros "Training."

Imagin Taskforce -The Den-o History-

3. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

There's already Ultraman. But if we're talking about Toei exclusively then the first response would be to bring back Metal Hero. But as we can see Toei isn't exactly daring these days. Tomica Hero should stay gone, it was always a waste. I wouldn't mind seeing SeiShin Series return though, as long as it isn't dumbed down in execution like Sazer X.

4. big_j_ny

big_j_ny Just an Internet User Passing Thru

Home Page:
    With a new Ultra series coming out soon, you should be expecting that one to the "3rd" Henshin Hero/toku series to fill the void in some people's toku hearts.

But aside from the Ultras, maybe a Ryukendo sequel.....or a GARO sequel

5. Sage Shinigami

Sage Shinigami Member

That's more Kyodai Hero than Henshin Hero, to me. And I don't mean Toei exclusively. Any company from Toho to Takara.

6. Sentinel King

Sentinel King Banned

Why do you want Tomica Hero stay gone? This was my favorite franchise to watch to begin with. It has potential to challenging Super Sentai, Kamen Rider franchises! Not that Tomica Hero would replacing them all, I really like Tomica Hero.

I understand that you and others don't like this, because of too much CGI. There are so many things that I would describe from the franchise so far. We would have be seeing third tomica hero, "Tomica Hero Rescue Aqua" by now!

I don't understand any of this, why do you want the franchise to stay gone? What's wrong with it?

7. Mirage_Frost

Mirage_Frost Lurker

:buttrock:

8. Oedipus 3000

Oedipus 3000 They call her one-eye

Yes and it should be a Metal hero show. When I mean metal hero, I don't mean just a show with a guy in a metal looking suit, I mean a metal hero show along the lines of Gavan to Speilban, an Uchyu Keiji Metal hero series.
    If it comes back, I want the damn thing to go back to its roots rather then flailing around with Kikaider blacks, New Akakages or robocop-kiddie, I want it with light sabers, space invaders, a ship that transforms into something and kick ass action like before.

9. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

On the contrary, I liked Tomica Hero's CGI. Takara does better work than Toei in that area.

It was a bad show. It couldn't decide whether it wanted to be Sentai-esque or just strictly be a rescue-oriented show like Metal Hero's Super Rescue Trilogy. So it tried to be both, and as a result looked absolutely ridiculous (even without the wackiness thrown in). Almost every case handled by the heroes is orchestrated by a single organization? With such silly contraptions as "Crisis Makers" and the like? That would work fine in an arc, but you can't make them the sole antagonist. A show like this shouldn't even have antagonists. It should just be about the daily events of a special rescue team.

Think of NBC's Trauma (Is it still on?) or shows like it. They essentially work on the same premise as TH and the SRT, only there aren't any fancy costumes and arsenal. If you want a rescue toku that is actually more or less realistic, watch Winspector, Solbrain and Exceedraft.

10. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

This objection always weirds me out. (Not to say you're not entitled to your opinion or anything.)

Super Sentai having a giant robot = cool
    Ultraman becoming a giant = not cool?

It's especially weird given that a lot of Ultra shows clearly depict Ultramen as being able to henshin without growing large if they want to. Just... y'know, lot of kaiju to wrestle most of the time.

Given how many plots and concepts KR and SS have lifted from Ultraman, it's kind of sad that the franchise is somehow "disqualified" from fan attention over a "grow big" gimmick. I guess I feel like Ultraman deserves its props even if you're one of those fans who justifiably finds it boring.

11. big_j_ny

big_j_ny Just an Internet User Passing Thru

Home Page:
    I was actually expecting Japanfan or Jedi to be on the attack after that comment about the Ultra franchise, but nice to see you on top of that one Lynx lol

But yeah, the understanding of some of the neglect of the Ultra franchise is confusing for me. I mean, if you hate toku with giant hero battles, fine.

But the same ppl that hate Ultraman for that reason, they're also fans of Godzilla or other kaiju monster franchises for crying out loud.

12. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Ultraman is the only toku on right now that really feels like a toku. Sentai and even Rider now often feels like an imitation of toku. Why that is could be due to a variety of reasons.

13. Fantasy Leader

Fantasy Leader Member

I always wondered what Metal Heroes was trying to be. I understand that they all have metal armor, but I think there's more to it.

14. KouAidou

KouAidou 二番目の翻訳者

The comparison of HH to anime strikes me as unfair, since HH is just one genre and anime covers a wide range of genres. Certainly, if you just want some Japanese live action entertainment, there's no lack of interesting dramas out there. And if you compare HH to a given genre, such as mecha anime, or magical girl, or cyberpunk, or fantasy, you know that those genres often go through their dry spells, too.

Frankly, I think HH is pretty damn lucky. You've got two (three, if you count Ultraman) long-running, undying tentpole franchises, on top of a wealth of independent productions from year to year. The closest I think mecha ever got to that was the Yuusha + Gundam run of the mid-90s, and even then you had your years where your only choices were, like, V Gundam or Might Gaine.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  15. surfer957

surfer957 Atarashi Member

Home Page:
    to me, even Ultraman didn't have a lot of series recently, but it is my best toku series so far.. so, i think it an be considered as third toku...

16. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Well, I can sort of understand this. There are quite a few Ultraman shows I like, but I generally can't get into Godzilla or a lot of other Daikaiju flicks for a lot of little reasons that basically boil down to personal taste.

Now, I wouldn't act like Godzilla isn't important over this? I just won't watch a lot of Godzilla movies. What frankly confuses me are people who want to act like Ultraman is somehow negligible as a TV henshin hero because he... grows large?

17. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

I think, if we are basing things strictly on being a super hero who can henshin, then Ultraman falls into that category. I actually like the Ultraman shows a lot and have much respect for them. They aren't trying to flush out a show at us every year. Maybe they're putting a little more love into their creations.

I do like Metal Heroes and all that, but I kind of think they should make a new Space Sheriff series. I think it would be interesting if they made a darker, more adult oriented Space Sheriff show done in a style similar to that of Garo. Perhaps something with a deeper, complex, engaging plot with plenty of character development and interaction and such. I think that would be cool, but I wouldn't mind seeing something more traditional.

You know, I kind of feel the same, but I mostly felt that way about Rescue Fire. I loved Rescue Force. It was a new show in an experimental run, but it managed to do what it set out to do. I liked the comedy and it really captured my interests and got me excited. However, by Rescue Fire... Just doesn't seem like they really hit the mark. Just seems like they were trying to be too serious and maybe too much like sentai, and it just didn't work for me. And when I saw Fire 1 getting all the power, I pretty much gave up on it.

18. Kouji Kabuto

Kouji Kabuto Mazin...Go!

Home Page:
    I'd love to see an Uchuu Keiji revival, and yet I fear what too many toys and too much CGI would do to it...

19. Sage Shinigami

Sage Shinigami Member

What can I say? I grew up on G1 Transformers and Power Rangers. I LOVE giant robots. I'm ambivalent towards giant heroes period.

Its not so much about disqualifying it. I don't HATE Ultraman. (Now my other friend that loves Toku...he hates it enough so that his "Ultraman franchise" summary almost ruined it for me.)

Better her than those other two. The conversation...would not have gone well. Its not even an insult. Ultraman fans have got to learn to calm down.

Bzzt. I REALLY don't like kaiju. When I saw the post about a kaiju J-Drama, it took everything I had not to post, "So who gives a fuck?" But pissing in people's cornflakes is not my life's goal, so I avoided it. But I've long settled with the fact that, I'm not a big kaiju fan, and probably not a big Toku fan in general.

...Where?

I love how most everyone decided to not to bother actually answering the question.

20. FreedomR8G6B1

FreedomR8G6B1 Member

Hmmm...

A Mecha Toku ala Dark Soldier D

Military Theme Metal Hero

A Bubblegum Crisis Toku perhaps