[Anime] Sailor Moon Crystal (Summer 2014)

Discussion in 'Super GeekStation Climax: THE STARCADE' started by Galaxian, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Bigdog

Bigdog Member

Watched the second episode a couple weeks ago and I like it. While its mostly material I already have covered, its refreshing its not taking so many episodes to actually adapt.

Another plus is Mercury, which was my favorite alongside Mars until Uranus and Neptune came along.

2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I'm kind of upset with the fourth episode to Sailor Moon Crystal. Not only did they not kill Jadeite last week, but now they are making more changes. They did not have Usagi get drunk and pass out (the best part of that chapter). And somehow Luna already knows Mamoru is Tuxedo Mask.

3. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Well, as one youtube reviewer pointed out, he didn't die but Nephrite was in charge of this week's plot, so the torch has still been passed. I guess it just depends on whether having all four together is something you find cool or not. I'm not familiar with any other version besides Crystal, but having the 14 year old girl pass out drunk and then getting kissed...well that'd just make Tux even more of a creeper than he already is. :sly: Why not go all the way and have him spike her drink? And with the identity thing, again I don't know if that changes things further down the line or not, but I quite like having characters who can see through the paper-thin disguises for a change.

Anyway, roll on September when Jupiter rises. :anime:

4. Kamen Rider ShinkenRed

Kamen Rider ShinkenRed Lurker

I think they're setting up for this version to have a battle at some point near the end where the Senshi will fight The Shitennou while Usagi fights
    [hide]the Belial controlled Endymion[/hide]
    And Dr. Kain, Luna worked out who Mamoru was at this point in the Manga as well.

5. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

What I think they are doing with the four kings is actually taking out the redundancy of their deaths. In the manga, they were revived after being killed by the soldiers when the Silver Crystal appeared only to be killed again like three panels later. Maybe they are just getting rid of that pointless process and are just going to kill them then. Well, sort of kill them since it is
    more that they are turned into stones and go on to help Mamoru later on during the Black Moon's invasion.

6. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Episode five was probably the best one yet. Earlier on we got some decent comedy (Usagi's reaction to Makoto trying to eat her lunch) and then they built it up so Jupiter's transformation and attacks (she knows both razor leaf AND thunderbolt ^_^) were a really badass moment. It seemed a little rushed, but I'd take an episode with lots of story over one that's trying to stretch a flimsy plot out too long.

7. kamil88

kamil88 Lurker

8. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

9. kamil88

kamil88 Lurker

10. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Interesting. You would think that with 2 years to work on the show, having an episode every other week (or sometimes two weeks), they would be able to get the show done in time for broadcast. Whatever, that is why BD releases will always be superior to broadcasting ones. Psycho Pass anyone?

Anyway, why do they have lipstick on in the new shots?

11. kamil88

kamil88 Lurker

Actually, they just recently started to work on show, they didn't worked on it for 2 years, they make each episode for about 5 weeks.

12. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

We finally watched the first BD disc to Sailor Moon today and I must say the dub is utterly fantastic. It sounded good in the clips, but finally sitting down and watching it was a real treat. I thought I was going to have to work hard to get used to Sheh's voice, but I was into her Usagi in mere minutes. It is just down right amazing and shows when a company cares about making a great English dub, it can be done. I also need to apologize to those No DNR purists out there, but I found nothing wrong with the video quality at all. I never once saw any ghosting nor did I have a problem with the lack of grain. In fact, the show has never looked better. The episodes themselves are a mixed bag, with the really terrible work out one to the incredible (and my favorite episode of the Jadeite arc) with the Succubus and the cassette tape one. The thing I love about the tape one is that it just feels different from the other episodes and really stands out. Plus, it shows how Usagi can be really amazing on her own she puts her mind to it. She did not even need Tuxedo Mask to show up to help her. I look forward to watching the next disc, but I think I am going to do them once a week since it is still another month until Volume 2 comes out.

13. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Today was a Sailor Moon day. First off, we watched the final disc to the first BD volume. There are some really interesting episodes to be found in that batch, but for the most part, they are some pretty dull episodes.

Then we watched the new episode of Crystal and oh my "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" god, I expected the anime to at least fix the ADD pacing of the episode, but nope. They decided to spend 3 minutes on a transformation sequence rather than actually make the story sensible. This was as much garbage as this very manga chapter.

Oh yeah, and Crunchyroll is absolute garbage when it comes to streaming. I haven't been able to watch a single Crystal episode without it either freezing, buffering, going out of HD, since the 8th episode. Thank the gods I use my friend's account as it is not worth paying for myself.

14. Jacky392000

Jacky392000 Open Your Amazons!

honestly, Crystal has been so good since the last few episodes of the Dark Kingdom arc. I dare to say it's even better than the 90's anime with its lack of fillers and redundant plots. judging by the pacing of Act 15, I wonder if the Black Moon arc will be resolved real quick? since Chibi-Usa didn't transform into Chibi Moon until the Death Busters arc in the 90's anime and even the Ayakashi Sisters don't seem to play such an important role here compared to their 90's anime counterparts. though with 11 episodes left, I highly doubt they'd be able to fit in the remaining arcs...

15. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

<spoilers for episode 15 ahead>

See I'm kinda the opposite atm. Yeah, the 90s anime had filler (we're toku fans, we eat filler for breakfast!) but it also had the room to let the audience build a rapport with all of the main characters so that you cared what happened to them, fleshed out side characters such as Naru, and took the time to build villains up so that they seemed like an actual threat. In the 90s anime the Spectre Sisters felt like they were tough to beat. In Crystal Koan was a MotW that got taken out in her first battle, and I suspect the same will be true of the other three. Kyoryuger gets a hard time from people for supposedly focussing too much on the lead character, but it's not in the same league as Crystal. The only character I think has been improved in Crystal is Luna, who has gotten a lot more moments of being cute or having feels than in the 90s anime. I enjoyed yesterday's episode mainly because it's the first time Rei was able to do anything by herself since her debut. The show sacrifices character in favour of flying through the plot, but when Metallia's death is so underwhelming it feels like the show made a poor trade-off.

16. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Have you guys never read the manga?

This arc is 12 episodes long because it is 12 manga chapters.

That's because that is how it was done in the manga. The generals are pretty much just the Monsters of the Week in the manga rather than characters.

Here is a post I made on another board last week:

Well I finally finished reading the Sailor Moon manga for the first time since Tokyo Pop released it and I have to be honest, it was not as good as I remembered it. I love the world Naoko built, and her characters are interesting, but the pacing was just awful and there was little to no development for anyone outside of Usagi and Mamoru. Hell, the villains seemed to be there just to have a reason for the series to have a conflict as only Nehelenia seemed to receive any sort of development whatsoever. I want to say the designs are great, but a lot of the villains were only in small panels and you rarely ever saw their entire body in one go with detailed view that they sometimes started to just blend in. Hell, I couldn't even keep track of the last batch of Galaxia's minions because they all looked the same. Sans the Amazoness Quartet and Kaolinite, the minions usually died within a few panels it made me wonder what the point of the Witches 5, the four Sisters, and the Amazon Trio was.

Even the sailor guardians seemed quite under developed. For example, in the Black Moon Family arc each member of the team was kidnapped in each chapter, so half of the arc had everyone by Usagi missing. The motives of some of the characters seemed inconsistent as well at times. For example, in one chapter Rei is talking about that she is finally going to be going to school with everyone now that they are going to the same high school. Then one of the chapters in Stars has Rei talking about how she wished she had gone to the same high school as them. WTF?

The pacing was absolutely horrible though and it made me wonder if the manga really did just exist as a reason for the anime to do so. Stories would move at such a rapid rate at times and then just suddenly drag on in other places it was distracting and confusing. Even the ending was convoluted. Also, the Starlights revealed themselves way too quickly and Sailor Moon's upgrades were done before you could even get used to the current one.

Now I do love the fact that the manga featured more of Saturn than the anime did, as she is my favorite character, but she seemed quite weaker in the manga for some reason. The artwork at times was gorgeous and I do love the world that Naoko was building up. The idea of a crystalized future city was pretty awesome. In fact, I wish we got more stories that dealt with the future. I also loved that the Amazoness Quartet did return in Stars and the truth behind Chibi Chibi makes so much more sense than in the anime. Another thing I loved is how everything was connected to one another. Chaos was the reason for Metallia, Pharaoh 90, Death Phantom, Nehelenia, while Nehelenia was the reason the Dark Kingdom was able to destroy the Moon Kingdom in the first place, and the Wiseman was the one who gave Galaxia her abilities.

Unfortunately, it seems like everything that was done well in the manga was held back by two things that were poorly executed. Naoko can't write a villain for crap and it shows. The ending itself also felt rushed and the series could have used just one more epilogue chapter instead of cramming the wedding and stuff into the last five pages. Overall, I give the manga 6 crying Usagi's out of 10.

17. Jacky392000

eh, I wasn't interested in Sailor Moon at all until Crystal was announced. so nope. I might not even bother to check it out. I'm currently watching the 90's anime (planning to start on Season 4 during my upcoming CNY break) and Crystal back to back.

18. kamil88

kamil88 Lurker

Both manga and old anime had some problems, in manga, i didn't like pacing, ad flat villains, in anime, i didn't liked that monster of week always had to be killed by Sailor Moon, it made her Guardians look very weak. also disliked how heartless Outers were in S. They wanted kill Hotaru, and even were willing to kill everyone in their way. Manga Inners weren't as cruel

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  19. Jacky392000

I personally didn't like the Outers (sans Pluto) in S. many people find them so much cooler than the Inners, but I thought they were nothing but a bunch of cocky bitches. :p

20. SaikoDragon

SaikoDragon It's Judgement Time!

lmao. You know I think the cool-ness factor of the Outers was just that they were different. We had two very good seasons without new senshi appearing. It also helped that the Outers had a killer transformation theme. But their personalities were definitely rogue compared to what the Inners were like. Guess the Outers (outsiders) were named pretty appropriately.