[Anime] Sailor Moon Crystal (Summer 2014)

Discussion in 'Super GeekStation Climax: THE STARCADE' started by Galaxian, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I would love for DB to get a new adaptation that is exact to the manga. Same with YGO!

Okay, I fail to see how my point is wrong. I fail to see how that looks like a mannequin.

2. Ivanhobe

Ivanhobe The Extraordinary Fan(boy)

I think he was actually talking to me, but the point stands.

First of all, when i said that using the same type expressions with the new character models would look jarring, i was comparing the original anime with the new one. I was NOT comparing it with the manga.

If we actually go that route (Crystal vs Manga), there´s a couple of things that you have to take into account:

1. I don´t want to criticize Naoko Takuchi´style but to be completely honest, even if her art style does look pretty, it is also quite rough at times. Just looking at that screen shot you can see my point; necks are not supposed to bend like that. I gues that was a factor when creating the style of the original anime.

2. Even if Crystal is trying to emulate Takeuchi´s style, it is not trying to copy it as much as it is trying to stream line it into a style that is more consistent than the manga. Again, Takeuchi´s drawing looked quite rough at times, with the characters looking more like dolls than actual humans and facial expressions that could be quite cartoonish, though not in the same level as the original animation did.

Basically, my point is:

Do crystal characters show emotion? Yes they do.

Is there room for improvement in that regard? Of course, there is always room for improvement.

Do the characters look like lifeless mannequins? No, or at least not like any mannequin i have seen.

Do these peeves some people have with the animation prove that Crystal is an unwatchable abomination that smears the legacy of our beloved franchise? Hell no.

It is as simple as that.

3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Fact also is, the animation will improve over the course of the first few episodes. Can you honestly tell me you expect the animation to be perfect right from the get go?

4. kamil88

kamil88 Lurker

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Va228UhRs"]MOON PRIDE??????????Z ?MOON PRIDE?MOMOIRO CLOVER Z "PRETTY GUARDIAN SAILORMOON Crystal OP theme"? - YouTube[/ame] Serenity and Endymion parts are beautiful, but that CGI-walk part at the end was very creepy

5. Loghorn

Loghorn Lurker

This. Leave Japanese franchises (such as animes/mangas) to the originals (Japanese). American companies would ruin it.

6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Episode 2 was fantastic and 90% like the manga. The only thing they really changed was Ami transforming during the battle.

7. Zindaku

Zindaku New Member

I swear if you listen to the Sailor Senshi henshin music and then listen to the transformation music of Smile! Pretty Cure, they sound almost the same!

8. kamil88

kamil88 Lurker

Really liked this episode, despite knowing story, it was heartwarming to see how Usagi befriend Ami, i liked little changes from manga/old anime, like Ami actually using disc, and get hypnosed.

9. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

So I said I'd give this show a chance when it came out, and of course between real life and other shows taking up my spare time I sorta completely forgot about it. :sweat: But I was reminded recently after I stumbled across a couple of "first reaction" videos on youtube:
    [HIDE][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuBCF82U8w8&list=UUmEbe0XH51CI09gm_9Fcn8Q"]This guy has recommended many anime in the past that I've ended up loving ^_^[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COpUDCRe9qs&list=UUrzoluANZlhi24mlQVouTmg"]Emotional fangirl is emotional[/ame][/HIDE]I've never seen or read any Sailor Moon content before, so I have no nostalgia for it or pre-existing love for the characters, although I suppose that it may also be an advantage because I don't know what's going to happen in advance. But the first two episodes were pretty fun. Usagi juuust manages to avoid being annoying. Personally I loved the transformation scenes. They're always a big attraction for me (I lost count of how many times I watched that first ToQ Change scene back in February) and this was a pretty cool one considering that it's more a change of clothes than summoning armour or mutating or anything more "complex" like that.

Overall, I can imagine that if I marathoned this show I'd get bored, but at just a couple of episodes per month it could be really fun in smaller doses. I've never seen a long-running magical girl show before (only the single cours 'Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya' :nooo:) so this might be a fun place to start(?).

10. Bigdog

Bigdog Member

For YU-Gi-OH! , I'd prefer if a film made by the director of the American adaptation of the Dragon Tattoo film did it. As much as I like Duel Monsters, I never really liked how that became the entire gimmick while Yami tamed down to an imaginary friend demon that can possess you. In some sort of way, I wish Yami was actually his emerging second personality like Fight Club, rather than something that just came along in convenience to defeat said villain of the week. That way, it could tackle the dual struggles of puberty and the mental effects of gaining perceived power [even from an artifact] can warp someone and endanger their entire personality, like in Chronicle, if not like with Hannibal. Just with a dash of the Mask.

I did love the second episode much more than the first.

The facial expression of the manga versus the final product showcases a minor complaint with the portrayal of emotion within this series. It's not like it's super exaggerated like the 1991 anime, however, it says something when they cannot properly emote as well as it should have. They all seem to have the emotional range of Kristen Stewart from the Twilight series when it comes to actual circumstances where it would be natural for such characters to be scared or shocked. I do have to hand it to them they do know how to animate people crying or Mercury's transformation. There's less noodle arms.

The animation is not that bad outside of battles, However I hope an increased budget over the next ordering of episodes will make the battle sequences more dynamic and interesting than everything else, because they don't seem to be sticking out in any particular way, unfortunately.

Yes, because Kamen Rider the First/Next, the Gatchaman film, Dancouga Nova,Dragonball GT , Devilman, Casshern, Kikaider, or the Space Sheriff films never existed.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  11. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes New Member

For those who care, I made a video review of the first episode.

12. kamil88

kamil88 Lurker

I watched your review, it was well done, however, for new and old anime, manga, and even Live Action, first chapter was almost identical, from episode 3, it should be completely different story, as for art, well, i wasn`t big fan of manga art style as well, but, i like new anime look, i only hope that they won`t make girls older, by just giving them longer legs. But yes, if you were fan of crazy expressions and jokes, you won`t find it here, not to that extend anyway.

13. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Just out of interest what gave you the impression that it was a new story? I knew nothing of the franchise at all and even I'd heard that Crystal was meant to be a remake that sticks more closely to the source manga ala FMA Brotherhood.

If you don't mind me critiquing your review, you don't need to spend 7 minutes of a 9 minute review on a single point. We get that you don't like the new animation style, but it goes from valid opinion to boring to "is this guy STILL whining?" It comes across as more of a rant than a review tbh.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  14. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Sorry dude, I stopped watching after 2 minutes because it was nothing but droning on and on about the same thing over.

First off, do some research. Crystal is based off the manga, so there will be similar introduction stories since the original anime introduced the characters in a similar fashion. At least for Mercury, Moon, and Mars. If I recall, they introduced Mikoto in the first episode of the Rainbow Crystal arc, which is not part of the manga.

Secondly, it sounds like you are just riding on the nostalgia for animation. The animation in Crystal is perfectly fine and profusely compliments the manga.

15. Edmond Dantes

Edmond Dantes New Member

I don't remember what made me think that, to be honest. I just remember the first announcement I read gave me that impression somehow. Probably because of how vague words like "New Sailor Moon TV series" can be.

Yeah, it really does come off as ranty, doesn't it? In retrospect I could probably have just pulled the scene comparisons, maybe the line about the issues I have with Takeuchi's art style, and stopped there. It was just that it disappointed me so much I literally did the review right after watching the episode. You could call it "the shit I needed to take."

A part of me considered doing a follow-up, but I really don't want to watch more episodes and there hasn't really been enough of a reaction to the video to warrant one.

16. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Well, "first reaction" vids are a thing to. Otherwise these are just things to remember if you ever decide you'd like to review something else. :anime: For example, you jumped over the background music with just a single sentence, but that could have been expanded to include the sound effects and voice acting. It's an all new voice cast aside from Kotono Mitsuishi, and as someone who hasn't watched the original/classic anime it would've been interesting to hear about the differences between the two.

17. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Episode 3 was fantastic despite them not killing Jaedite. THe animation is definitely improving a lot and the transformation sequences look cool (even though they gave Mars a stripper pose).

18. Loghorn

Loghorn Lurker

Granted, not everything that the Japanese does is terrific, but you know what I'm talking about. Shit like Masked Rider. Or movies based off of Japanese video game franchises such as King of Fighters, Street Fighter, Super Mario Bros., Double Dragon, etc. that are done by Hollywood.

American companies/Hollywood can't make great Japanese gaming movies/shows worth a shit.

19. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

THe first Silent Hill movie was great.

20. Bigdog

Bigdog Member

I would argue its from it being from the 90's, too. The first Guyver film might have had a bit more of a budget than Shin Kamen Rider, but the story, actors , horrible monster to hero scale ratio and the writing ( not to mention that such material would've only been possible to adapt back then if it was popular as the Jurassic Park novel was) made it fail. Most anime or video game based productions suffered from being made too soon to "cash in" on the hype or keep the rights than do anything reasonably profitable with it. The 1994 Fantastic Four , 1998 Godzilla, and probably other films are proof of this instance. If either of those languished in development hell it might have become better or worse than the final product. So, perhaps in the pretense of keeping the film rights (in case they wanted to make another in the future). They figured to make one and even if it fails, a future development would allow them to reboot. Since fads come and fade, they ditched them and if a better reboot came along from another studio , it would sting.

I bet a Street Fighter film today could be better only in that the basis in pop culture and far better special effects have made it possible. So not only can studios afford be truer to the source without having to tone anything down, they can do anything. We went from a culture that bemoaned comics and games to one that is open about it without changing too much.