S.H.Figuarts - News and Reviews

Discussion in 'Toys Unlimited' started by Igadevil, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Gold Samurai

Gold Samurai Member

Hopefully it's not like mafex amazing Spider-Man 2

Licensing issues caused HLJ and AmiAmi to remove preorders on their website

2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

That is so stupid. They aren't selling the toy in the US, they are just shipping it to people there. You can't blockade people from importing a product.

3. Gold Samurai

Gold Samurai Member

Look at it in Hasbro's eyes. It bites down on what they're trying to sell in US store like Target for example.

Why buy a hasbro spider-man with 10 points of articulation at Target when you can get something better overseas?

What if one person wanted to resell it? Ebay or local comicbook shop in their state?

It an odd way it would then fall under being sold in the US.

And Yes people did buy Spider-man from other websites besides HLJ, AmiAmi and big bad toystore(They all had the preorders removed)

So yeah the figure hit US shores someway or the other. So yeah it's hard to crack on down importing the figure in other ways. Family members are also another option.

4. Ryuutaros

Ryuutaros "Training."

I had a look at the reviews for the new Shadowmoon. I am slightly confused by it. The only difference really is that it's slightly bulkier and colours are more accurate. In fact you can't really tell any difference. Why the fuck did they waste a renewal slot for this? Why not Agito or someone else? Fucking hell.

5. SentaiRiderFan

SentaiRiderFan MV Maker

On the one hand, you're right. On the other, I'm happy the original figure is now MUCH easier to get a hold of (and I doubt this new one will be as expensive as, say, Black Renewal is), so there are now plenty of Shadow Moons for everyone.

6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Is the new Shadow Moon out? The only thing I see different is his feet are the feet he had in his premier episode, so I really need to see a comparison.

Doesn't matter. That is that person's right to resell it if he wants. When I buy the Vader and STs it is my right to sell them off if I so choose. Hasblow has no right to tell me what I can and cannot do with the products I paid money for.

7. Glamador

Glamador Member

No, but if you're a retailer that they sell to at wholesale prices, then they can refuse to sell to your establishment in future.

The point is that they have pressure put on them by both laws and their competitors which might affect their business if they knowingly allow region-restricted items to be sold to regions where they are restricted.

8. Ryuutaros

Ryuutaros "Training."

http://blog.livedoor.jp/hacchaka/archives/51942800.html

Not much difference in my opinion. A waste of a renewal slot.

9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

10. arnoldmcguire335

arnoldmcguire335 Continuing the Creddie legacy

Home Page:
    EXACTLY!!! DAMN YOU HASBRO!!!

11. Ryuutaros

Ryuutaros "Training."

Or green lightning effect parts for his other attacks?

12. Spike Mcdougal

Spike Mcdougal Member

Has Shadow Borg/Black Beet been released in Japan yet? I haven t seen any reviews

13. goldlantern

goldlantern New Member

Nope. It should be out in a couple of weeks, though.

14. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Lurker

You know, even though fans appreciate the existence of it, sh figuarts are kinda a mixed bag. While it works effectively on certain characters, it doesn't for ones that has something like capes. Their web exclusive stuff isn't something people would like. There's still recent bad ones like Blacwing not being included with femme and being seperate.

15. SentaiRiderFan

SentaiRiderFan MV Maker

So plastic capes, the necessity of web exclusives, and not always including the big add-ons with some characters is enough to ruin the line for you (or at least make it a mixed bag)? I'll grant you that accessory counts aren't always perfect (Agito, anyone?), but the base figures themselves are amazing, and have gotten better and better over the years. Some are better than others, sure, but that's true of any long-running toyline (and in that regard, figuarts' average is still waaaay better than, say, Marvel Legends). One or two underwhelming figures doesn't change anything.

16. Glamador

Glamador Member

Figuarts is the standard that I hold all humanoid figures to. The standard I tell you. They have the accuracy, the articulation, the quality control, the accessories (usually...not always) and the price over the majority of figures.

What lines they are more expensive than, they are so far superior to in terms of their other qualities that you can hardly even compare them. What figure line (at the Figuarts price point or any other) is in your mind superior?

Figma? The joints are highly visible and lack range, and they're fragile (especially characters with rigid, pointy bits).

S.I.C.? They're basically identical in articulation, but the designs really *are* a mixed bag and QC leaves something to be desired.

Kiwami Tamashii? They've got the articulation but not the accessories, as well as the same mixed-bag aesthetics. Plus they're tiny, which I consider a negative.

Revoltech? The quality isn't on the same level and their joints leave huge seams when extended...no thank you.

Play Arts? HUGE QC issues, the infamous knees, and iffy plastic quality drive my opinion of the line steeply down. They also never produce enough of them to meet demand and the few good products they put out skyrocket in price. I'm never going to get DMC4 Dante...

Heck, even vastly more expensive lines from manufacturers like Medicom and Hot Toys play host to issues that aren't issues for Figuarts. Namely range-of-motion, fragility, and plastic degradation. Only *one* of my figuarts shows ANY sign of shelf wear, and it was a known issue for the original Kuugas that their paint faded in places if left in open air.

Literally ANY American figure is going to be infinitely inferior to the lines listed above, so I'm not even going to bother with those. For the cliff notes version see: Joints, seams, QC, articulation, sculpt, paint, packaging, accessories, hands, all bad. Not just worse than the above, just bad.

I could draw attention to an obvious and fatal flaw with almost any figure that I own (which is quite a few). There is no such thing as a perfect figure, not at any price point. And while figure-making technology has come a long way this past decade, Figuarts from 10 years ago hold up a lot better than their peers.

That said, S.H. Figuarts isn't even my favourite product line. No, that would be the old, short-lived Gundam Arch Enemy series. Now *those* were some incredible figures in every category (I understand it was called something different in Japan). And these days I tend to like S.I.C. better for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with overall quality. But Figuarts quality is hard to deny...

17. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I think Figma works best for video game characters. Figuarts has been able to pull off anything so far.

I will disagree on the QC aspect though, as a lot of teh figures released over the course of the last year and a half have been hit or miss.

18. SentaiRiderFan

SentaiRiderFan MV Maker

I'm just gonna throw this out there (as I've been meaning to for sometime), can we get an actual "General Figuarts Discussion" thread at some point? This right here seems like something that belongs there, not in what's essentially a news forum.

19. Glamador

Glamador Member

My lovely Megaman Zero would disagree. Would love to get Vile as well...though I suppose those are both technically D-Arts, as they were released prior to the merging of those lines.

Still. You don't like what they've done with Mario & Luigi? I thought those were good.

Now you mention it, I'm remembering that there were issues with cracked chestpieces on Kiwami Arms and a few other mishaps. That is a shame, though nothing was wrong with any of my Gaim figuarts, for which I am grateful. Even so, you've got to look comparatively, as those kinds of issues come up in Figuarts less often than in other lines.

20. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

No no, I meant Figmas seem to be at their best when they are doing video game characters whereas Figuarts so far are best for any type of genre they cover.

Honesty though, I don't own any of the video game characters for Figuarts personally. I just don't have any interest in Mario stuff, but I do love the accessory sets they are doing. On the other hand, I've got the Figma Link and Samus. I love MegaMan, but I don't want to get invested in a MegaMan toyline again. Although, I was going to pick up MMZero, since he is my favorite incarnation, but that hair piece joint really kills the look for me.

Not just that, but Zx is a walking mess. I'm on my second replacement and he is still full of issues. My first one's neck joint fell apart (not broke, just fell apart), so I got him replaced with one that had a broken hip, and while my current one doesn't have any breakage or joints fall apart, like the other two, his joints are loose as ****. My Gaim's holster for his Muso Saber was not put together properly, so it can not hold the sword in as the weapon can not fit into it. And then, yes, several people got Gaim's with cracked chests and Hibiki's with chipped paint.