(Red) Senshi and being a "leader"

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by kuroihikari, May 10, 2011.

1. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Well, there's at least one male non-Red leader I can think of off the top of my head. I don't remember Megaranger's toy sales off the top of my head very well, though. I think they were about average.

2. NateRiver

NateRiver Welcome

NinjaWhite was the leader of Kakuranger..

3. lazycoconut

lazycoconut I liked him when he wasn't a god

That was 17 years ago, though ... even longer ago than Megaranger. And in the second half of the series, she got relegated to the background more while Red did the cool stuff

4. DangerDang

DangerDang Pony, please.

I kind of agree with this. Since the Red is a focal point of the series most of the time, I want to have some belief that he is able to lead the team and is someone the rest of them can turn to when it comes down to the wire.
    On the other hand, I like to have equality between team members and hopefully their episodes give them the spotlight as a leader when needed. This is obviously different with different series, but the principle is the same.

Of course, this all also depends on what qualities a leader can have. I have recently watched many of the better parts of Goseiger and Alata is just as good a leader as Marvelous, they just have different styles. For people who view leaders in one way, this doesn't work as well, I think.

5. Loghorn

Loghorn Lurker

I meant by even though Time Fire is also Red, he's the 6th sentai senshi of Timeranger, like with Dragon Ranger, Kibaranger, King Ranger, etc., being 6th sentai senshi's.

6. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Oh, that's right. Well, ratings-wise Kakuranger suffered from the same malaise that hit everything right before the time slot changed. I don't remember anything about the toy sales, though. I don't think they were especially bad.

7. Painted_Outlaw

Painted_Outlaw The new Tendou Souji

I wouldn't list Akashi as a good leader; dude was a little nuts in the cabeza if you ask me.

What about KakuRanger? That had a non-red leader.

EDIT: Ninja'd. .-.

8. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

I'll be honest, I tend to forget NinjaWhite was supposed to be the leader unless people point it out. There are certainly episodes about this. It's one of the aspects of the show that I feel like gets dropped and/or downplayed after awhile, like the sound effects.

9. musashi03

musashi03 HEROW

Meh~ If we always had red leaders, then it would get boring.

10. Galaxian

Galaxian Lurker

I think that a Sentai series in which the Red Ranger is not the leader is more likely than a Sentai series in which the Red Ranger is not the protagonist.

11. lazycoconut

lazycoconut I liked him when he wasn't a god

Why? We've had four series with a non-Red leader, others where there was no leader, and yet Red has been the protagonist in all of them

12. MattComix

MattComix Super Moderator

I'm fine with the Red who is kind of a lovable schmuck that may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but makes up for it by having a lot of heart like Kenta in MegaRanger. I also enjoy a Red who is thrust into the role by circumstance like Ryoma in Gingaman. I'm also more than fine with an everyman Red like Tatsuya in TimeRanger.

Alata from GoSeiger grew on me once they amped up the action and as result made it a bit more clear that they were going for a gentle/strong dynamic with him. His default state is that of a very kind person who wouldn't hurt a fly but when lives are on the line then the hero in him comes out. He's not a hot-blooded badass or a stoic warrior but he brings the justice.

But kinda like my deal with the Minami Kotaro style Rider protag, my only problem is that I just didn't like seeing the more leader type Reds taken out of the rotation. I like changing things up but I don't like having that archetype thrown away. Takeru isn't a 80's leader Red or anything but he was enough in the ballpark of a leader type Red to be a nice change of pace from what we had been getting. Basically, give me some form of leader Red at least every three series or something.

I only have a problem where in some modern shows the lovable schmuck Red type sort of grossly mutated into the really loud, obnoxious, screechy buffoon.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  13. FlashNeko

FlashNeko Member

KakuRanger was also the first show where they started regularly incorporating multiple mecha systems and not just one add-on thing that was just an extra robot or something that combined with the original's limbs. So I imagine the sales figures might be a little skewed compared to its predecessors just due to the pure volume of stuff it put out.

Alata is basically the supervisor you have at work who isn't too hands on but tends to give you little nudges in the directions that play to your strengths. The advantages of this style are that it keeps morale high, since the worker feels like they really accomplished something on their own merits and is always reminded of what they can do well so they will feel motivated to keep doing it. It can backfire, however, with someone who needs more direct guidance to complete a task or an aggressive personality who only responds to forceful commands.

What I find interesting about Alata is that... I've never really seen Sentai try that kind of "hands off" leadership roll before. You either had "my way or the highway" Reds who control every aspect of everything or "inspirational" Reds who don't really lead but their endless energy acts as a mood maker for the rest of the team. It gives Alata a really unique niche in Sentai history and while I don't want to see it all the time, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it again in another show at some point.

14. Covar

Covar Member

you answered your own question. Like he said, it's more likely.

15. Galaxian

Galaxian Lurker

That's what I'm saying...

16. musashi03

musashi03 HEROW

Her point was that Galaxian's post wasn't making any sense at all, since all Sentais have had protagonist Red rangers, meaning it's pointless to make a comparison on the amount of times there were non-leader Red to the amount of times there were non-protagonist Red which was zero.

17. FieryRed

FieryRed Minato Ascending

Since all the red senshis are essentially the mascot of the sentai team he belongs to, I think even if he isn't the leader or the best on the team, he has to be relevant in other aspects, like Alata does for Goseiger. However, I usually like a red senshi who is an actual leader on the team, like Takeru in Shinkenger, because if he's the guy in the middle of the formation and the first to do the roll call, I expect a little more from him than others.