New Timeslot for Rider and Sentai

Discussion in 'The ORB - News & Rumors' started by Toku Prime, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

[​IMG]

So every week TV Asahi airs a programming block called 'Sunday Morning Kids Time' and at the center of that block is 'Super Hero Time' a.k.a. Super Sentai and Kamen Rider. Super Sentai airs at 7.30am and Kamen Rider airs straight afterwards at 8am.

Super Sentai has occupied that timeslot for 20 years; It first moved there for the 7th episode of Megaranger, joining the Metal Hero series B-Robo Kabutack which was broadcast afterwards at 8am. Not only did ratings improve but the show got an extra 4 minutes of runtime!

Within a couple of years the Metal Hero franchise had died and been replaced by 'Moero!! Robocon', a reboot of the old toku show 'Ganbare!! Robocon' which was originally created by Shotaro Ishinomori. After a year Toei decided to adapt another old Ishinomori show and created Kamen Rider Kuuga. Since then every Heisei Rider series has broadcast from that very same timeslot.

But it's been announced that this is set to change. From October (presumably with the start of Kamen Rider Build) Kamen Rider will be pushed back one hour to air at 9am instead. At that time Kyuranger will leapfrog over it and begin broadcasting at 9.30 instead.

The official reason for the change is that Toei are creating a new Sunday morning news program that will air before the kids shows begin. But it would be reasonable to assume that they're hoping the new timeslot will improve ratings.

2. DaikaijuSokogeki!

DaikaijuSokogeki! New Member

Home Page:
    In all honesty, I think this is suicide. This means they will be pitting both shows directly against Dragon Ball Super and One Piece, two other Toei properties that also appeal to young boys which also happen to be far more popular. Kamen Rider Build may be able to hold its own against Dragon Ball Super, but Kyuranger and next year's Super Sentai will certainly not stand a chance against One Piece.

I have to wonder how much of this decision is Toei's or TV Asahi's though. TV Asahi has got to be frustrated with the low ratings, so I have to wonder if this is their way of pressuring Toei to fix it because why else would Toei want to pit four of their own produced shows against each other? Also, what does this mean for Kirakira Precure? Is it moving to 10:00 or is it staying at 8:30? It's the highest rated show of the block (which still isn't saying much), so I can imagine that it doesn't necessarily need to be moved.

3. Amon

Amon Member

I guess Toei could change the time slots for Dragon Ball Super and One Piece too. From what I've seen, the kids that like Kamen Rider and Sentai in Japan also like the kids anime like Dragon Ball, One Piece, Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On, Pokemon and the other Shonen shows.

Imagine being a kid and you can't pick on which show you want to watch next since they both air on the same time.

4. PowerPhantom245

PowerPhantom245 Lurker

To be honest, I'm surprised it took Toei this long for timeslot change.
    I expected to happen around 2014~2015, since Go-busters (4.1) had HUGE rating drop had Gokaiger (5.0) and Kamen Rider Gaim (5.2), despite its popularity and started annual V-Cinema Spin-off, had lowest ratings among franchise. I guess Zyuohger and Kamen Rider Ghost rating (current lowest ratings of respective franchise) really affected Toei's decision.
    I'm curious how it would affect runtime (especially for Sentai) ; are they going to remain the same (which is likely) or cut down 4-minutes (Dynaman Episode 10 ~ Megaranger Episode 8).
    Regardless, I'm REALLY optimistic how this would turn out.

5. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I hope this means they lose the childish aspects of this shows and goes back to giving them more mature plots and episodes again.

6. Amon

Amon Member

It won't change the tone at all. Dragon Ball Super airs at 9:00 AM and the shows feels way tamer compare to DBZ with the violent content.

7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

You have to remember though, Super incorporates both DB and DBZ. Plus, DBZ was never that violent.

8. DaikaijuSokogeki!

Home Page:
    You're not watching Ex-Aid, are you?

Besides, all Heisei Riders aired in this time slot, including the ones about racism and violent murders. The recent change in the level of maturity has absolutely nothing to do with the time slot, it is a purely marketing driven decision by Toei and Bandai.

9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

No, I'm not, but I'm referring to Sentai more than Kamen Rider.

I'll watch Ex-Aid some day after I finally have the time to watch Drive and Ghost.

10. PowerPhantom245

PowerPhantom245 Lurker

Why are you being so harsh on Sentai?
    I'm guessing you REALLY haven't enjoyed Sentai at all in past few years.

11. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

So the gaudy costumes and obscene video game references are just a mask for something grim?

Racism? What exactly are you referring to?

12. DaikaijuSokogeki!

Home Page:
    Yes. Exactly like Gaim.

Faiz was pretty blatantly about racism, or prejudice in general.

13. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Gaim's costumes were subtle compared to Ex-Aid's. Actually most of the Gaim suits are rather nice. There's nothing aesthetically pleasing about the Ex-Aid costumes.

14. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

It seems likely that Precure will retain it's 8.30am timeslot. The rest of 'Sunday Morning Kids Time' has rotated around it and now air after it in exactly the opposite order that they previously did. Thus confirming that Precure is the center of the SMKT universe. :p

I don't think airing at 9 and 9.30 will suddenly turn Build into a year-long version of Amazons or force the next Sentai back to the franchise's more military sci-fi roots, but maybe they had one eye on the success the last couple of Ultra Series had airing at 9am on Saturdays over on TV Tokyo (though admittedly that franchise was previously broadcasting at 5pm on Tuesdays, so it was a much bigger shift in that case).
    I don't know if I'd say grim but Ex-Aid has returned to that more story-lead, 'Rider vs Rider' type of show and Gaim was the last show to really dive into that. Obviously some people will prefer that and some people prefer the more episodic MotW type of shows. What I will say is that if the 'chibified' Level 1 forms were putting you off, they do get pretty much disappear before the end of the first quarter.
    There's certainly some aspects of prejudice in Faiz, along with a large helping of "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" in there too to make it even worse. Shame the show just spun it's wheels with endless misunderstandings due to a lack of communication instead of developing it's ideas more.

15. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Almost everything about the first episode put me off. I'm burnt out on nonstop talking belts and wacky cartoon hijinks that don't belong in live-action. It's honestly part of what kills Drive, now that I'm finally completing that show. (I'd have loved to have seen Drive done in Agito's style: it certainly had the material with which to do that.)

After the enjoyable Faiz-X scenes in KR Taisen, and the KR 4 special, I think I should give Faiz a rewatch.

16. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

No, Sentai hasn't had a good show since Gokaiger. The worst aspect is that Go-Busters is the only show that actually tried something new and then they went right back into the safe zone where it has been stagnant since. I thought Kyuranger was finally going to break that mold but nope, in fact, it is somewhat worse by pretending to be doing something new when it isn't.

I guess that is a problem when I've already seen the best Sentai will ever have to offer though.

17. PowerPhantom245

PowerPhantom245 Lurker

I guess you are one of many who are still stuck with Gokaiger "hype", that just won't let it go and won't accept later series.
    I feel sorry for you for not liking Sentai for past 5 years.
    Hopefully, you get to see Sentai you like with this timeslot change.

18. Hangyakuno

Hangyakuno Lurker

IMO, beside hype caused from their robot gimmick and previous sentai guest star, Gokaiger is just "average" hiding in safezone sentai. Atleast Go-buster have character and guts to try to have grimm plot. Their colaboration movie Gobuster with Gokaiger show this so well. Like Narutaki said, Gokaiger was ripping off from Decade and unfortunately doubled his failure, still laugh hard when they brought up Gokaigold part . Gokaiger almost like Decaderanger - atonement for Decade which is fortunately completing its series.
    If anything change from this timeslot, is to once again dare to try but with more plan ahead.

19. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

You're right, Gokaiger's gimmick is part of it, but it also had a great ranger cast that were fleshed out and didn't have a red ranger that was screaming like he forgot to take his meds. There's a reason it's only number 10 on my best list though.

However, the series that are after Gokaiger don't hold a candle to anything released between Jetman and Timeranger and they aren't even close to being as good as Aba or Geki. It also doesn't help that the villains except for Enter have all sucked major ass. None of the have been developed in the slightest and they feel like they are just there because the rangers can't fight air.

I also don't like how there always has to be a mech battle even when the episode plot doesn't require there to be one. Like there was an episode a few week's ago of Kyuranger that was perfectly fine until suddenly a giant monster showed up for no reason. Do they think kids will lose interest in the toys if they don't see the mech in one episode?

20. PowerPhantom245

PowerPhantom245 Lurker

Well, villains aren't the major selling point for Sentai, like it was back in 70's~90's; those were replaced with over-saturation of collector's gimmicks/mecha (started with Go-onger Engine Soul) and more additional/extra rangers who are mostly pointless/useless (*cough* Kyoryuger (Spirit Rangers) and Kyuranger to certain extent).
    Like it or not, that's what keeping the franchise alive so far.