[Anime] Mobile Suit Gundam: Universal Century Saga (0079-Victory) Mega-Thread

Discussion in 'Super GeekStation Climax: THE STARCADE' started by Forever Knight, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Forever Knight

Forever Knight Eye See You

Home Page:
    Watching Endless Waltz tonight then taking a break for my long weekend and then it'll be full throttle with the first original series.

I decided to watch the complete dubbed series rather than the tweaked compilation film. Do you think that was a sexy idea or no?.

2. Aoi Kurenai

Aoi Kurenai Mad Skillz

It's probably for the better, yeah. The movie are supposedly the creator's "vision" since he isn't hindered by TV standards, but I think you get more out of the TV series. Though the movies aren't bad, they're about two hours long each, I just thought they were pretty choppy at times.

Also, you might find yourself hating Amuro in the early episodes, but Char is pretty cool.

3. Forever Knight

Home Page:
    As long as these shows can give me the drama and epic story telling of war like Wing did then I am set.

4. artmaster079

artmaster079 Yes, I can draw

The Original Series does indeed do a good job at that. Once Amuro matures, the story really gets going.

I assume you will be following up with The 08th MS Team, and 0080: War in the Pocket to complete the One Year War storyline?

5. Galaxian

Galaxian Lurker

I myself am thinking about watching Zeta Gundam, never seen one from the original storyline, and I've always been self-conscious about it :sweat:

6. KamenRiderShinzo

KamenRiderShinzo Everywhere You Go

Watch both the original series and movies. That's what I did. You don't have to though. But yeah, I guess it's up to you. I watched the series in Japanese, but I'm not telling you to.:D

7. MMPR

MMPR Read my smart post

I watched both 0079 and Zeta, but Kamille is such a bitch, even after he matured I wanted to step on his face. Also, Zeta Gundam is confusing as fuck, you really need to pay attention or else you will be lost, it's good, but needs a lot of focus

8. m121akuma

m121akuma Member

I watched the movie trilogy rather than the series, and had no problem with it, but you should be good either way you go. From my understanding, the problem with the TV version is dealing with a lot of lackluster filler, especially involving the "G-Fighter" add-ons to the Gundam, which were removed from the movies in favor of the "Core Booster". Also, the movies are prettier, a side character's fate is changed, and Hayato gets a Guncannon.

9. Galaxian

Galaxian Lurker

I'm fairly good following the thread of a storyline... It's Kamille's "bitchiness" that worries me, because I've only seen the first episode and I already want to drown the little prick, and see that shuts up that girl that keeps calling his name in a way that makes the name "Kamille" somehow sound even more effeminate.

10. Forever Knight

Home Page:
    Viewing list and order:

Gundam 1-43 (dub)
    08th MS Team 1-12 (dub)
    IGLOO: Hidden One Year War 1-3 (sub)
    IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079 1-3 (sub)
    IGLOO 2: Gravity Front 1-3 (sub)
    War in the Pocket 1-6 (dub)
    Stardust Memory 1-13 (dub)
    Zeta Gundam 1-50 (dub)
    Gundam ZZ 1-47 (sub)
    Char’s Counterattack Movie (dub)
    Gundam Unicorn 1-4 (of 6)
    F91 Movie (dub)
    Victory Gundam 1-51 (sub)

11. Aoi Kurenai

Aoi Kurenai Mad Skillz

I'd still avoid watching Gundam Unicorn until after Victory, even though it comes before it, I've always thought there was a good reason it was released until 15 years later.

12. Forever Knight

Home Page:
    I really want to go with actual timeline rather than release dates.

But why would you say to do it otherwise?.

13. ParaParaJMo

ParaParaJMo Member

The trilogymis official canon. Its proven in chars counterattack.

Since you seem to only watch dubs, i guess its no use recommending you some of the gundam games such as blood of zeon or blue destiny

Kamille is whiney, but he is for the right reasons.

14. artmaster079

artmaster079 Yes, I can draw

I can deal with Kamille, but Judau from Gundam ZZ... actually most of that cast bothers me to some degree...

Hands down the Zeta Gundam itself is one of my favorite designs in Gundam.

I say stick to the timeline, as Unicorn is still unfinished, you could just come back to it later i guess..

15. Forever Knight

Home Page:
    Yeah, doing the timeline and then eventually going back to finish up Unicorn is the plan.

Another question for you guys, which Gundam suits do you like best for design and could you post a photo of them, same goes for Gundam Pilots and villains.

I'm interested to see which ones you guys like.

16. Midori Ken

Midori Ken Lurker

[hide][​IMG][/hide]

17. Galaxian

Galaxian Lurker

Watched Zeta's episode 2... And I'm not sure what to think about this guy... He stole a Gundam in order to get even with some guy he met once, needless to say he holds a grudge, but I don't know if that makes me like him or hate him even more...

18. Forever Knight

Home Page:
    Finished episode 1 and I've absolutely fallen in love. This was just fantastic. They did such a great job with the dub as well, I noticed Quetre's voice actor from Wing is now Amuro which makes him good in my book.

I loved how he had no idea how to pilot the Gundam and went with the manual and it actually worked out. The Gundam itself looks basic but to me that is on the same level as Ultraman compared to Zero or Kamen Rider compared to OOO. The beam sabers attached to the back is awesome, I really need to see both used simultaneously.

Is Char the dude that looks like Zechs?.

19. Aoi Kurenai

Aoi Kurenai Mad Skillz

His voice actor had a run of a few years where he voiced the lead in a lot of robot or tech anime series, so it was cool to hear him again. Amuro's supposed to be a bit of a genius, so he was in a better position than anyone else to pilot that Gundam in the first sitting.

And yeah, that's Char. One of the staples of the franchise is that the anti-hero-antagonist character tends to wear a mask. ( http://i.imgur.com/rUaOJ.jpg these are what some of the others look like)

20. Forever Knight

Home Page:
    Very cool. Those are normally the most popular of the characters no?.