[Comic] Marvel Talk Up Thread

Discussion in 'Super GeekStation Climax: THE STARCADE' started by Ben3000, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Galaxian

Galaxian Lurker

The new Amazing Spider-Man #1 came out today... I already miss Otto... :disappoin

2. King Gainer

King Gainer Member

If we're really lucky he could be brought back for some sort of spin-off six month from now. That's probably just wishful thinking though.

3. Galaxian

Galaxian Lurker

Well, we have the Spider-verse to look forward to, which promise the involvement of every single version of Spider-Man that has ever appeared in the comics. So he should be there.

4. Blue Saint

Blue Saint Member

My guess is if they bring Otto back as a good guy (big "if" there knowing Marvel and their issues with allowing any of the Spider-cast to grow), is that he will come back as some disembodied electronic intelligence that will either use holograms or a robotic suit. The Steel Spider identity isn't being used right now and to be honest it Ollie always looked like a cross between Spidey and Ock.

5. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

Otto as an ally? Want! Just make Doc Oc good at last! Learn from Naruto. Maybe we can finally have Spider-Man with steel tentacles, like in 90s cartoon, if that happens.

6. Blue Saint

Blue Saint Member

Hey speaking of Otto guess what is having it's thirty-second issue in August. That's right Superior Spider-Man. It seems that his disappearance in issue 19 was an out to have more adventures. It seems that he was thrown into the World of Tomorrow, into the year 2099. Say what you will about the series as a whole this is actually a rather smart move. Everyone knew Peter was going to be back to Amazing at some point, so they came up with this if the Otto-Spidey proved popular. Plus Otto would make a better hero in the year 2099. Not only is he free of baggage, but this is a world so corrupt that Victor Von Doom can be a hero.

Also this makes bringing Otto back as either Spidey or Doc Ock really easy. He is now just a future technology macguffin away from being alive again.

7. Galaxian

Galaxian Lurker

Well, both Amazing Spider Man #1 (1st) and Superior Spider Man #31 (2nd) finally knocked Snyder's Batman book from to monthly best seller chart.

8. Tetsu

Tetsu Member

Hey do you guys have some advice?
    I've gained an interest in the marvel cinematic universe comics, but the collected volumes tend to include some other random comics in them. Is this a standard thing?

I know it was the same with the SW Shadows of the Empire Omnibus, where a random Mara Jade comic was wedged inbetween the SotE stories.

9. Blue Saint

Blue Saint Member

Usually when a there isn't enough material to fill out a trade it isn't uncommon to get related material as filler. A lot of the tie-in comics seem to be either one-shots or online first material, so I guess Marvel is including material that "inspired" the movie in question. That and they can advertise older material to a new audience, and maybe get them to buy another collection.

If you really just want the tie-ins and don't mind floppies, I am positive a lot of comic shops sell them below cover price.

10. Skyknight

Skyknight Lurker

Mainly all due to the movie, the curiosity regarding the restoration of devil-dealing douchebag Peter (which will quickly fade when people realize he's still as bland and as repressed as ever in terms of maturity) and 16+ variant covers to sucker in the customers. There's no way Slott's usual hackish drivel would accomplish that feat on it's own

Oh, and the Spidey daily strip is now running a "Doc Ock: Good Guy" story all through the summer, just in case you're lacking your Superior fix. Considering how much better that strip is and how much truer it is to every character, I expect more of a fun time to be had with this particular arc

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  11. Blue Saint

Blue Saint Member

Well first I just find this amazing, but today Marvel announced Guardians 3000 by Dan Abnett and Gerardo Sandoval. The book will feature a return of the classic Guardians of the Galaxy line-up (Vance Astro, Charlie-27, Martinex, Yondu, and Starhawk) fighting for freedom of the solar system in the year 3000 (well 3014 but round numbers make for better titles). Now why is this amazing? There will now be 4 ongoing titles in Guardians family (the main book plus solo titles for Star-Lord and Rocket) and that just floors me. Now my big question is if all this due to movie or actual fan demand, though more than likely the truth is somewhere in between. I have to say the movies have really changed the comics landscape. Imagine telling someone ten years ago that Iron Man is going to be Marvel's flagship character.

[​IMG]

So anyway if you remember back a bit there was talk about the Spider-Verse event that would feature every Spider-Man. Anyway part of the lead in to the event there is going to be a series of one-shots called Edge of Spider-Verse. The first issue features the return of Spider-Man Noir, but here is where (at least for me) it gets interesting. Issues two and three will feature new Spider-Men. Issue three features a very sci-fi heavy world with a Spider-Man that reflects it. But it's issue two that has my attention.

In short it is What if Gwen Stacy was bitten by the radioactive spider. And for whatever reason that sounds like a lot of fun. Also I just love her costume design, the hoodie is an interesting addition which helps distinguish her from other Spider-Men. Depending how the issue goes I may even be interested in picking up Spider-Verse.

Also I think I have realized that I very much prefer Spider-Man when he's not 616 Peter Parker.

[HIDE][​IMG][/HIDE]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  12. orphen20

orphen20 n/s

After Thor's change into a female, Captain America gets a successor and he's African American.

13. Blue Saint

Blue Saint Member

Actually from the various information presented Thor isn't female he is proven unworthy and thus there is a new Thor who is female. In art released shortly after announcement on the View (really Disney this is your idea of corporate synergy) it shows the Odinson like he is those time-jump images, wielding an axe and sporting a mechanical arm.

[​IMG]

Also Sam Wilson, aka the Falcon, is the new Cap and I do like the new costume. It adds elements from that great Commander Rogers design, which I also like is Jim Hammond's new costume. Remender is still writing it though so I'll probably end up passing on the new series.

Anyway these two announcements are just part of what Marvel is calling "Avengers Now!". We will also see Iron Man moving to San Fransisco and getting new armor that looks like a iPod. He is also the now the Superior Iron Man, since I am guessing like Otto he is a smug ass that will no doubt end up causing more damage than anything else.

Plus Marvel is going to try to push the Inhumans as the new mutants, again. I guess after the failure that was Inhumanity Marvel still hasn't learned. Also regarding all the talk about Marvel getting prissy with Fox over the X-Men and Fantastic Four movie rights and shunting them off into their own little spheres, I am fine with that. Thanks to that I get to avoid that horrible mess that is going to be Axis.

Plus we are going to get new series for Bucky, Doctor Strange, and Deathlok. And possibly new books for Angela and Ant-Man.

I guess Marvel's plan here is to take their biggest name right now and try to drum up some press by making these radical new changes. The problem is that all of this reminds me of the 80's. Replacement heroes and all that jazz. Hell Angela and her introduction into Marvel universe reminds me of the Chartlon characters. Or even Demon Hunter from Atlas/Seaboard becoming Devil-Slayer. You can even draw some parallels between Atlas/Seaboard and Image while you are at it.

[​IMG]

14. Galaxian

Galaxian Lurker

That's the ax from Uncanny Avengers, right? You would think that after all the problems Thor caused with it (destruction of Earth) he had learn to stay the hell away from it :laugh:

15. Captain McSteamy

Captain McSteamy Banned

So Cap has been replaced again. That is getting old. Civil War it was Steve, then it was Bucky, then Steve again, now Falcon.

In the comics Cap has become a fucking joke. Turned the name and costume into a game of tag, where whoever is it gets to be Cap.

16. FreedomR8G6B1

FreedomR8G6B1 Member

Where's the Dominican Iron Man?!

#sports

17. Galaxian

Galaxian Lurker

You've been watching the Will Wheaton Project, haven't you?

18. FreedomR8G6B1

FreedomR8G6B1 Member

Now what gave you that idea?

19. Ben3000

Ben3000 Member

I've been reading a lot of old runs. Just finished reading Wolverine: Enemy of The State and really enjoyed it. Its probably one of my favorite Wolverine arcs, maybe my favorite of all time but then again "Get Mystique" was really good as well. I'm halfway through X-23 and I would honestly prefer to have another X-23 series before another Wolverine one.

I've been enjoying a lot of Marvel's recent comic book series. Moon Knight was really good. Warren Ellis on this series was a great decision, I am upset he's off the book but at least the colorist is still on the series. Ms. Marvel has been fantastic along with Ghost Rider. Thunderbolts with Charles Soule was solid stuff. Then again Charles Soule hasn't written anything bad in my opinion.

I have to say it was interesting to see how they took away Logan's Healing Factor. Also it was funny to see him realize he has allergies. Overall I've really been enjoying a lot of what Marvel's been putting out. I'm really looking forward to reading Original Sin along with Inhumans.

20. Blue Saint

Blue Saint Member

Okay other than the artist, Joe Quinones, and Bendis being somehow involved with this, I have no other information about this picture. But I love it. Adam X, Shatterstar, Forge and Ink it's like someone found out my guilt pleasure mutants and put them on a team. Plus we have Sage, Stacey, and Marrow, all we need is a re-animated Maggot and Thunderbird III to have a reunion of late 90's and 00's unpopular X-Men additions. You know why this makes me happy it's like a line-up Chris Claremont would use, and honestly it would make me super happy if it turns Claremont is at least co-writer on the book. He has to be right, why else is Sage there?

[​IMG]