Least Favorite Sentai

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by HonestHeart17, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Aoi Kurenai

Aoi Kurenai Mad Skillz

Go-Onger doesn't strike me as a parody, at all. It's more of a comedy Sentai, the humor just doesn't do anything for me. I was actually bored while watching a lot of the series and that's something I never want out of anything that I watch. The Go-On Wings also did nothing for me, and that's the biggest waste of Hidenori Tokuyama ever. I'm sure he would have been great given a different series to work on. This isn't a slam against comedic shows, Ryukendo and Sazer X are some of my favorites, it's just that Go-Onger was pretty uninteresting. (and had a terrible core cast)

2. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Go-Busters. Not Go-Onger lol.
    I don't mind Go-Onger either, but I never understood why people say it's a parody. What parts of it make it a parody exactly?

3. Painted_Outlaw

Painted_Outlaw The new Tendou Souji

True.. my point still works however. :laugh:

4. Nnnkingston

Nnnkingston Altair

I went into Go-onger just wanting to have fun, and that's exactly what happened. I got through 30 episodes before I found even a single one that bored me, which had never happened in any tokusatsu I had watched up to that point.

5. Mr. Rhythmic

Mr. Rhythmic Member

Go-Onger was a lot of fun... Until the last 11 episodes, until the awesome finale.

6. Mr. Rhythmic

Mr. Rhythmic Member

Personally, "Gekiranger" ended at episode 21. That was a perfect end to the series. The badguys lose, the heroes overcome their sworn enemy, and the origins of the masters are revealed. After episode 21, it feels like a comedy writer got a hold of the series, and did the exact opposite of why "Geki" was awesome for those 21 episodes: Nothing's compelling, I lost interest in the characters, new goofier characters were constantly shoved in my face, and nothing had the same sense of urgency as it did before.

7. Kamen Rider Cherry

Kamen Rider Cherry A girl of divergent opinions.

My least favorite Sentai is, much obviously, Gokaiger.

Four out of the core five are cliché and unlikeable (Ahim is the only one of them I can tolerate), Gai is an overpowered audience-self-insert with little to no actual backstory whatsoever (all we know about him other than how he got his powers is that his parents moved around a lot), and the villains became less and less threatening as the season went on. It also proved that it's never a good idea to rely on too much fanservice while making an anniversary season: subtle references here and there like in Boukenger and Fourze are fine, but letting the nostalgia factor take the wheel and going after veteran actors just to overshadow the new characters is a huge no-no (although I personally loved Sosuke's cameo). It's because of the nostalgia factor that Gokaiger has, in my opinion, the single worst first scene and finale in Sentai history. :shakefist All in all, it tried to be a good anniversary season, but the excess of fanservice and poor writing made it fall flat on its face.

Another Sentai I'm not a huge fan of is Akibaranger. The first few episodes were quite entertaining, but after Malseena broke into the real world, it got less and less interesting. Not to mention that it bothers me to no end that Yumeria didn't get as much character development as Nobuo and Mitsuki.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  8. Mr. Rhythmic

Mr. Rhythmic Member

I'm going to have to go against the grain and say "Gokaiger" as well. Granted, there are worse, but I have a lot of personal irritations with "Gokaiger." The biggest is that it is so, so wasted in potential. Marvelous is cool, Joe's a swordsman, Green's a coward, and Yellow and Pink are... Well, women, I guess, with no real characterization. That's about it.
    The episodes are just bad. They are WAY too goofy, almost on the level of "Go-Onger." However, I actually like "Go-Onger" better, because it's supporting villains were good. Yogostein, as goofy as he could be, had a presence, and his father was one of the great final Sentai villains. With "Gokaiger," no villain was interesting. No character was cool, other than Marvelous in the first few episodes, who almost immediately became the Decade of Sentai in that "He's the best and no one can beat him ever period" sense. That is dull and lazy writing. The action was great... For a while. But then it just felt like it was pulling an "SPD" and trying way too hard.

9. lazycoconut

lazycoconut I liked him when he wasn't a god

In what way are they "cliché and unlikeable"? How is Ahim less cliché or more developed than any of the rest of the cast, when she got the least amount of focus?

That said, I think people write off Ahim as "pink girly-girl" when her type is not that common, most "girly" Pinks tend to be more of the Houka/Umeko/Miku type.

Backstory isn't necessary for good development or a good character. I'm not attacking you personally; this is something I see a lot in fandom. It's like the way people watch W and then complain that Shotaro Hidari "lacks a backstory" because we don't know about his life before meeting Narumi.

It's not "proof" of anything other than that you think an anniversary show shouldn't be done in the style of Gokaiger/Decade.

You have used this phrase in several threads, and you never explain it. Just what, exactly, is "it fell flat on its face" supposed to mean?

While I agree she got less focus, none of them is a wonderfully developed character. It's a parody that isn't concerned with deep heroes.

There's a LOT of Gokaiger hate out there. Why do people think disliking it is somehow an "unpopular opinion" or they're the only one that thinks so?

They have more characterisation than a number of female characters in Sentai/Rider who exist purely as "token girl" figures and/or love interests. That's not saying much for Toei's writing, but still.

Do you think so? I can't imagine Gokaiger doing something like G3 Princess or the episode with the ghosts.

Although I like Go-onger and defend it against accusations of being too zany, I actually wish it had been more serious in places, simply because its moments of drama (e.g. Sousuke's "death" or the episode about Blue's mother), when they came along, were good.

Why is it? People say this a lot about both Marvelous and Tsukasa, and also Tendou. Not every character is going to be a rookie who has to "earn" or "deserve" his powers.

Touching on the Go-onger point and things that people have said about Go-onger and other shows, I'm going to throw it out there, because I seem to hit on this one every time: Is "goofy" a sign of inherently bad writing? Or does it just mean that the show doesn't appeal to you any more as you now find it too childish to enjoy?

10. Mr. Rhythmic

Mr. Rhythmic Member

You'd be amazed. Everyone I know claims it to be the best Sentai series. In fact, there was a big poll, in which "Gokaiger" was voted the best Super Sentai show of all time, beating out "Shinkenger" for that title.

Eh, not really, but that's my opinion. They felt so back of the line. If anything, they just felt like borrowed traits of other female Rangers.

You mean like the episode with the alien marrying the racist mother? I not only can imagine them doing G3 princess or ghosts, I think it would've been even goofier.

Go-Onger had a solid balance until Yogostein died, then it got REALLY stupid, and then the show picked up steam again when Yogo's father arrived, which were the best episodes of the series.

I don't need them to be a rookie, I never said that. But there needs to be a challenge. There needs to be a test of the Gokaiger's limits, an understanding that our heroes may not win. I never got that. It's called proper storytelling.
    An example is the X-Men franchise. "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" is an awful movie because they made Wolverine unkillable. He can't lose. There's no stakes. The final threat was just doing what everyone else did: Stab Wolverine. It didn't work the first time, so why would that work now? Then you turn around and watch "X-Men 2," where the stakes were high. As powerful as Wolverine was, he felt vulnerable. Stryker's plan would've wiped him off the map, along with every other mutant. You need that stake for the audience to be invested. I need to feel like Marvelous, as tough as he is, is dealing with something that he actually needs help fighting. I never felt that.

"Goofy" is a sign of bad writing if you cannot properly balance it. It's not enjoyable when the goofiness doesn't immerse itself and just feels like it's the wrong tone. "Carranger" works because it set itself in that tone. "Gokaiger" constantly tried to take itself seriously with the extremely wrong tone

11. Ice Ixa

Ice Ixa Lurker

Gokaiger, probably. Out of all of them I finished, it's got to be this one. I couldn't do Go-Onger, but I didn't finish, so I can't count that one (just like I can't count Den-O as my least favorite Rider).

After the Gokaiger finale, I wrote up a review on a Toku RPG I mod on. I'm just going to copy/paste that:

12. lazycoconut

I think people just tend to vote for whatever they most recently saw and liked. A lot of people new to the fandom haven't watched anything older than Gekiranger, if that ...

They didn't really grow beyond a few basic traits, but I think they had a bit more substance than, for instance (my opinion) GoseiPink and Yellow, both of whom were essentially playing themselves after a certain point early in the series; or a character like Yamazaki from Magiranger whose existence can be summed up as "Kai's Love Interest"

There's the Flying Ghost Ship movie, I still haven't seen that. I do think the episode in question was making a good point about racism, though.

I see your point, yes. I wonder if that's a reason people like the Jetman episode (other than the return of Gai Yuki?) At the time it aired I saw comments about how Marvelous felt "more like a Red" in this episode and/or even that this version of Marvelous was how the character was "supposed" to work but didn't

(Edited for clarity: Sorry, I misread this and thought you were still talking about Go-onger)

Even Carranger had its moments of drama, and its humour was somewhat "cleverer" than that of, well, Go-onger or the slapstick more common to recent shows. For the most part, I don't think Gokaiger took itself all that seriously, though it obviously isn't a parody like Carranger. Are you saying that the shift in tone between episodes like the alien marrying that woman and then more "serious" episodes such as the Barizorg plot was too much?

13. KingRanger

KingRanger Banned

If that is all you took away from Green, Pink, and Yellow in Gokai.. Did you only watch it raw? Did you skip episodes? I mean gokaiger isn't perfect, but to just say those things about those three is just not true at all.

14. Painted_Outlaw

Painted_Outlaw The new Tendou Souji

Aw, I wouldn't put Miku in with those other two; she's at least somewhat sensible.

I only find this post amusing considering G3 was actually in one of the movies (though, I'm glad they never touched on the actual concept; no show should).

I'm just gonna point out episode 5, is all.

15. lazycoconut

Sorry :( I agree she's different. She was like the "prototype" of the 2000s ditzy Pink, but they got sillier and sillier as the shows progressed.

I agree:

The focus of that episode wasn't so much on Yumeria as her mother and the others' reactions to her mother, but when we find out that everything that happened was another of Yumeria's delusions, then we see we've learned something about her.

16. agreetings08

agreetings08 Member

Of the five sentai's I've fully watched (Magiranger, Go-Onger, Shinkenger, Gokiager, and Go-Busters) Go-Busters would be my least favorite. I found the story to be boring, the characters dull and even though Enter was a great villain, he alone couldn't keep me interested in the show.

Since everybody is talking about Gokaiger.....The show was my first super sentai series and the whole anniversary aspect and with them changing into past heroes actually got me to research and watch the past seasons. I know mostly everyone main gripe was that either the villains was crap or that the season was mostly "fan service" but I thought the show managed to tell a story even though it was wrapped around with the anniversary aspect. I also think the show had a cast that I really though was the one of the best ever who really brought their characters alive and even though each one a distinct personality you associated yourself with one of them and I liked the fact how they became a tight knit little family once the shoe ended.

17. lazycoconut

They did each have their own individual set-up/predominant trait (Marvelous is the bold captain, Joe the stoic one, Luka greedy and flirtatious, etc.) but what I think a lot of dislike of the Gokaigers comes down to is that they were for want of a better word exaggerated, they were obviously characters from a kids' TV show. A lot of people expect Sentai heroes to behave like "real people" and to be written as if they came from a serious superhero drama.

I think it extends to dislike of the Go-ongers and Goseigers too. These three teams do not have jobs (well, Go-on Green worked part time, but it was more of a running gag than anything), they don't go to school, they don't have family responsibilities, they don't have romances*, they don't do a lot of the things that teen/adult viewers "identify" with or do in their everyday lives. These characters can be fun, but I can definitely see why others feel they are insubstantial. By comparison the Shinkengers all have "realistic" plans and ambitions, they have lives outside of the heroics, and I think that's why they're one of the more popular teams of recent years.

* I'm not counting Sousuke and Miu, who never got together; or Alata's one-shot love interest from the Goseiger movie.

18. Mr. Rhythmic

Mr. Rhythmic Member

Opinions are still opinions.

I wouldn't really put Goseiger as a good comparison to anything. lol Talk about bland.

That movie's a disappointment of its own degree. So much wasted potential.
    If competently written, it could've had a good point. Instead it just felt... Blech.

There's a difference between a comedy series having dramatic moments and an action anniversary series being foolish and poorly structured the entire time, with actual somber moments every once in a while.

19. Shougo B'Stard

Shougo B'Stard Would like to change his avatar

Home Page:
    I still think Gokaiger managed to turn out pretty good for them basically making it up as they went along, and it should be cut more slack. So many people wanted in on Gokaiger, and for the sake of the anniversary, they were welcomed, and it made the show feel that much more special, like Toei actually...cared. Like I said, Gokaiger didn't always have the best execution, but I don't feel like it's a completely broken, incomplete mess like, say, Decade was. (And look at how much more Gokaiger had to juggle compared to Decade! Decade was supposed to celebrate just the 10 years of Heisei Riders, had two-parters devoted to each show, and STILL couldn't pull it off.)

I like for writers to have things planned out, but Gokaiger was willing to shift around to accommodate past actors and staff members, and it still turned out to be surprisingly coherent for all they worked in, often at the last minute.

The Gokaiger hate is unbelievable! Those who slam Gokaiger better not be Decade fans.

20. Mr. Rhythmic

Mr. Rhythmic Member

You nailed one of the biggest reasons I don't like "Gokaiger:" It's unorganized. It's so blatantly unorganized that, to me personally, nothing hit, when it had built itself up to becoming so much more. I actually preferred the movie with Black Cross than the actual series.
    "Kamen Rider Decade" was one of the worst series to date, the ending being notably the worst in the franchise's history. Sentai is something that I can enjoy, but have no real attachment to it as a franchise. But with "Decade," it felt like being punched in the scrotum with brass knuckles.

I'll also throw this in: "Ultra Galaxy: The Movie" was overrated Michael Bay toy-selling crap. "Mebius" was the perfect anniversary celebrator for Ultraman. "Galaxy" was great effects for a convoluted story, bad characters, and a one dimensional villain. We finally get an evil Showa Ultraman, and he's as bland as they come. And before someone tries to argue with other villains: Mephiles, Guts, Enpera, Yapool, Knackle, Killeroid, Regulon, etc. all had far more personality and depth than Ultraman "Mwahaha" Belial.