Least Favorite Sentai

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by HonestHeart17, Jan 31, 2011.

1. meno

meno Member

Thanks for the response Lynx. I find it kind of interesting that I basically fit everyone one of the Western tropes except the one where I give the show a lot of episodes before judging it. I tend to start skipping scenes or even whole episodes if I'm bored of a show, then completely dropping it once I've gone through a few and decided I didn't like it.

2. lazycoconut

lazycoconut I liked him when he wasn't a god

Yeah, I wonder how that changed? Jetman, Liveman, Dairanger etc. which are the shows that western fans tend to see as "the good old days when Sentai was allowed to be serious" were successful in Japan in their day. Is it partly because of the switch to the Sunday morning timeslot and beginning to focus more on an audience of toddlers than family viewing? Would Geki have been a hit if it had aired ten or fifteen years earlier?

There seems to be some evidence that the zaniest shows don't do well (Go-onger's ratings were about the same as Gekiranger's, although its toy sales were better. Fourze is currently the lowest-rated Rider series) but then I wonder if that's not part of the general decline ...

3. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Here's what I understand about Japanese fan opinions of Gekiranger. Please note that what I understand isn't comprehensive and I might be misunderstanding some things or taking them out of context. I haven't done a complete, thorough watch of Gekiranger yet, so I'm going off of bits and pieces of the show I've seen.

- The actor who played Jan, Hiroki Suzuki, gets raked over the coals by fans for being untalented and/or annoying. I find that Japanese fans focus on Suzuki's acting the way Westerners who dislike Jan will just focus on bashing his character tics.
    - Japanese fans found Gekiranger's "hard work and effort" theme extremely tedious and annoying. I don't know if it was something specific about how Gekiranger executed the theme, or if they just didn't want to see that sort of thing in Sentai. It's not exactly an uncommon theme in Japanese kid's shows.
    - Japanese fans were really unhappy about the sheer quantity of camera time that Rio and Mele got. The typical way this complaint is written is along the lines of, "I thought shows like this were supposed to be about the heroes?" As such, the Japanese fans didn't seem to really get very invested in the Long/Rio/Mele plot, instead finding it tiresome and dull.
    - As an aside: I've seen some evidence to indicate that this may be the source of the Geki Green/Black stuff? Like, supposedly that was how fans would be snide about Mele/Rio scenes in 2ch/2chan threads, essentially mocking the show for being more about the villains than the heroes. So Toei just ran with it by trying to present Rio and Mele as possible villains-turned-hero?
    - This irritation at making shows about the villains more than the heroes also seems to inform the Japanese response to Goseiger, too. Even Japanese fans who like Goseiger will refer to Bladerun as "the real main character." Between Geki and Gosei, I'd be really surprised if Yokote ended up writing more Sentai.

As a chaser to all this: there definitely is a Japanese Gekiranger fanbase. It had its share of bloggers, and at least some people made it through the show without finding anything overwhelmingly annoying or boring. It's important to remember that some Japanese fans in the modern fanbase will simply love all Sentai because it's Sentai, and watch faithfully even if they don't especially like that particular season. You also have plenty of Japanese fans who are perfectly willing to be contrary and enjoy something, even if other fans are saying they shouldn't.

I think it's just changes in the pop cultural zeitgeist. If you look at the general tone of action kid's shows from the 80s to the 00s, you definitely see stuff growing lighter and more comedy-oriented over time. In the Japan of the 80s, kids wanted Zeta Gundam and Fist of the North Star. In the Japan of the 00s, kids wanted Pokemon and One Piece. Tastes just change over time as each generation forms its own attitudes and tastes, based on what is unique to their experiences.

I actually don't think so. I can't imagine a character like Jan getting off the drawing board in 1997 when Megaranger's Kenta Date was what passed for outrageously zany, or in 1992 when Zyuranger could get away with a completely traditional hero type like Geki.

Also, this'll sound finicky, but in what I've seen of Gekiranger, the suit acting is really lame compared to what fans in the 90s would've expected. I mean, compare Gekiranger's in-suit kung fu to Dairanger's. It's just kinda lacking, and I sometimes wonder if that also hurt the show.

I think zaniness wasn't the key factor that hurt these shows. Admittedly, I don't actually know much about what Japanese fans thought of Go-onger. But for Fourze, though... as I understand it, a lot of Japanese fans simply never gave Fourze a chance. They just took one look at his rocket-headed design, went "That's not Kamen Rider," and then never tuned in.

While Fourze's ratings are low, it's worth noting that they're very steady. That is, the people who did tune in to watch it overwhelmingly stayed with the show the whole way through. So most of Fourze's problems I think aren't intrinsic to the show itself, it's people just rejecting the hero's aesthetic out of hand, which obviously means they don't want to watch his show.

4. Keith Justice

Keith Justice Eat My Justice!

Go-onger. I couldn't even make it through an entire episode of that show.

5. Sparkling Silver Wolf

Sparkling Silver Wolf シルバー

For me, I'd say Zyuranger. I really tried to like it. I really did. :disappoin Doesn't mean I hate it though. I watched the whole series and I still genuinely enjoyed it but the whole "child of the week" thing just wasn't doing it for me. It came off as cheesy to me and I found it hard to watch after around 30 episodes or so. Had I been a young kid and watching it I may have a different opinion But Zyuranger will forever be memorable. The whole dinosaur motif is always a win for me regardless.

6. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

^ I wonder if it's the kids so much as it is they often take attention from the heroes. Upon rewatching Zyu I don't mind all the kids (given Bandora's backstory and the 'fairy tale' theme), but rather that they waste opportunities to expand on the heroes' characters and their original world. Episodes 24 and 25 for example would have been great to examine Boi and Goushi respectively, but instead we're told about how they interacted with a present-day person.

Only once does Goushi's past get brought up back in episode 15. I think Geki, Mei and Burai are the only ones whose pasts, or their tribes' pasts, are gone into any detail.

7. Fantasy Leader

Fantasy Leader Member

I have actually heard a lot of people debate over if Gekiranger is a quality sentai that's as good as the 90s sentai, or if it's clearly not as good. I've seen plenty of people appreciate Gekiranger's stories and pacing, saying it's as good as the 90s stuff or even the early 2000s stuff (like Kaku, Mega, Aba, Deka, etc). But others have said that Gekiranger's production values aren't quite up there. Perhaps due to some of it's writing execution, or as Lynxara said, it's suit acting quality.

Gekiranger has always been an interesting installment in my eyes. It's a show that aired during the time where Toei execs were starting to meddle more, and where Sentai was starting to enter a pretty strange era. Yet, it's a show that feels like it really was trying to capture the creative styles of the 90s and early 2000s shows, with it's own new twists. Does anyone else feel this way about Geki?

8. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

I marathoned through Gekiranger during the Christmas holidays. It's certainly an odd one, and the fan reaction is equally odd. A lot of people in these forums seem to regard it as their favourite, to the point where I did consider putting "I liked Gekiranger...but it's not an all-time great series" in the unpopular opinions thread. I'd previously seen Dairanger, and I definitiely think they were better martial artists than the Gekirangers. The 90s shows relied more on the fight choreography and less on special effects. The Gekiranger rely much more on their powers than the Dairangers (or even more recent shows like Dekaranger) did, which is fine but as the show went along it very quickly stopped being about gaining new powers through training and learning how to control their Qi, and adopted a Magiranger-style "if you're brave you will be randomly granted a new power" setup. The second half is full of mini-arcs culminating in emotional confrontations that seemed really epic while I was watching them...but half an hour later when the events of the episode have had time to settle in I really started noticing that some of the stories were full of logic holes to varying degrees (if nobody has ever managed to produce "kageki" energy, how exactly did SCRTC manage to build the Geki Claw weapons that supposedly use it as their power supply? And why do they have a ceremony for determining if somebody's worthy, if none of the previous "worthy" people managed to achieve it? And if they've just had this massive powerup that nobody has managed to get before, why do they suddenly need a new teammate? :sly:). It was never bored, and overall I enjoyed it, but it never came close to being my all-time favourite.

9. Painted_Outlaw

Painted_Outlaw The new Tendou Souji

Only bits of Geki I really disliked (besides Rio and Jan's fight) was Ken and SaiDaiOh.

"But, he bathed the group in holy light!!"

Oh please, you could toss a CotD in there and have it come out the same. Basically speaking, Ken was pointless.

10. Fantasy Leader

Fantasy Leader Member

I myself enjoyed Gekiranger quite a bit. But it certainly is an odd beast in itself.

Yeah, Geki's choreography doesn't quite seem as good compared to the choreography of the Jetman-Magiranger run of shows. I'm not sure if I remember the whole "be brave and you'll get a new power" thing. Did they really do that?? :O_O:

I always enjoyed the story of Gekiranger. But it did get so much better starting with the Kageki arc. And everything after that was just wonderful. I never noticed all those logic holes that you pointed out. They must've all flown over my head. Maybe cause the 90s and early 2000s didn't quite have them so my mind got tricked a bit? xD

I'm actually of the minority who really loved the Gekiranger cast. Yup, all five of them. I think the cast had really great actors whom I think even far outperformed the scripts themselves. They were all a fun lovable group that I found enjoyable to watch.

Rio and Mele are a beast of their own. I've always had trouble figuring out how to feel about them. :p Rio, half of me wants to see him as this awesome badass who's like a new spin on AbareKiller with a very fascinating backstory. Whereas the other half of me thinks he's a bit too obsessed with power to the point where it gets a bit tiring to only ever see him talk about it. xD Mele, half of me wants to see her as this fun to watch character who goes all out and does her best to ensure what she believes is the right thing to do. But I also tend to compare her to the badassness of Nefel from Flashman. :p I really love Long though.

11. lazycoconut

I always seem to feel negatively about Geki, but on balance it's not that I disliked the show, just Rio and Mele and they were such a huge part of it. I wouldn't have liked them even as regular villains - I felt that Mele was an incredibly flat character that revolved solely around Rio, and Rio himself was an annoying emo-kid (I don't think anyone would enjoy a hero type like him; he's popular solely because of the mentality that villains are better than heroes.) But I'm totally with the Japanese fanbase on this one. Sentai is supposed to be about heroes, not villains. People complain that the Gekirangers were "bland" or "boring" but, well, why was that? Because the screen time and development they should have got was given to Rio and Mele.

I do love Long, though. He'll always be awesome to me.

12. Fantasy Leader

Fantasy Leader Member

Despite all the screen time Rio and Mele got, I never felt like they completely overshadowed the Gekiranger cast. And that's because I thought the cast did such a good job to maintain their presence.

I really love Jan. Like many, I hate screaming reds (Yousuke, Ban, Sosuke). But Jan was the one guy that did it right imo. He was a fun lovable character and his actor played him with such enthusiasm. And I felt like his childish nature was the most natural out of all of them. He was fun.

I know Ran and Retsu both get deprived of spotlight, but I still like them both. It's kind of like how I feel about both Haruka and Momoko in Maskman. Both of their actors were good and were fun characters to watch. I don't think either of them are bland.

Gou is easily the coolest of the bunch. Fans are always looking for old school homages in newer Sentai. Well, I think Gou is THE old school homage of newer sentai. The way the actor plays the character reminds me very much of the style of how it was done back in the late 80s. And his actor does a fantastic job at being a badass character.~

Ken is probably most people's least favorites. And this is due to how little impact he leaves on the story. But see, I'm not too bothered by that. I felt like he was just another fun character who was excellently added onto the show. And I am thankful for that. Many say Ken is just as annoying as any screaming red or even Genta, but I don't see that at all. Ken always came off as the cheerful lovable goof, in the styles of Kyousuke, Kenta (MegaRed), and Gai (GokaiSilver).

Actually, now that I think about it, did Rio and Mele really get THAT much more spotlight than the rest of the cast? Cause I feel like they got just about the equal amount as the other five. Even their number of focus eps. Perhaps it's more cause Rio and Mele's eps are a bit more plot heavy? Cause during the first like 20 eps, it feels like there's equal footing amongst the three Gekirangers and Rio and Mele. Gou and Ken get plenty of plot focus along with Rio and Mele for the next like 15 eps. And for the last 10 eps, it feels like a lot of the plot focus is on Jan, Rio, Mele, and even Gou. And we know how the ending stuff is usually what sticks to everyone's memory best when it comes to toku. But regardless, I still feel like Ran, Retsu, and Ken had plenty of presence throughout the show.

Judging by what many people are saying, Gekiranger to many is a show that was supposed to be the next installment of the 90s/early 2000s style of Sentai (Jetman-Dekaranger), but it got hampered by the crazy stuff of recent years. So this gets me wondering, would Gekiranger have been much better received, had it aired a few years earlier? Particularly before the Hibiki screwjob. Would it have been better for people if it had been done during the early 2000s? Would it have been as well received as how Abaranger fans love Abaranger? (Abaranger seems to be Gekiranger's most frequent comparison).

13. lazycoconut

People seem to think that villains are the most important thing in the whole show. Geki's popularity with English-speaking fans is almost entirely because of its heavy villain focus. Every other Sentai that's aired since then has either been harshly criticised for supposedly having poor villains/mishandling the villains or in the case of Goseiger some people will say Bladerun was the only good thing about the show. I have seen a lot of speculation that Toei has specifically insisted that villain presence remain minimal since Geki, but I wonder whether it's really true and if so, is it a bad thing? It seems that a lot of the Japanese fanbase just isn't interested in heavy villain plots, at least for Sentai ...

14. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Well think about that whole kageki thing. Jan gains that power when he finally decides that the reason he fights and becomes stronger is so that he can protect people. If that had been Magiranger that would have been a textbook example of one of the displays of courage that would get their phone ringing and a new spell code flashed out at them. They both just seem to have that thing where the ranger being focussed on that episode gets so passionate that they throw their arms out wide and scream and <bam> new power.
    Well of course they do. Backstory as a fallen member of the good guys team. Spends most of the series as an underling to a string of other villains. Not really explained until the last few episodes of the series. Goseiger's Bredoran covers a lot of the same ground as Rio.

15. Fantasy Leader

Fantasy Leader Member

I still like Gekiranger a lot. But I do realize that Gekiranger could've been much better. Some of Geki's production values and writing styles are somewhat repetitive and a bit too safe in certain areas, which does drag the show down a notch. Perhaps due to the lingering effect of what happened after Hibiki. And of course, there was Japan's issues with the villains.

16. Jack-Q

Jack-Q Member

Hurricaneger and Go-Onger.

17. A.Stabelli

A.Stabelli Onore...

Home Page:
    Go-Onger was a really low point in Sentai for me. The characters annoyed me, the villans sucked. The mecha looked horrible, and the writing was tepid at best.

18. Supernovametalstar

Supernovametalstar Member

I would echo these points as well. I know it's for kids, but it just seemed too kiddy for me. You can be kid friendly and still have depth. I pretty much found the episodes so I could see the ground fights and robot action. Although I will give Go-Onger credit for having AWESOME theme songs. Engine O's theme, the Go On Wings theme, and even the intro. And as an aside, I'm highly surprised it was salvaged the way it was with RPM, but I think that's apples and oranges.

Now Go Busters looks terrible to me. Bad cluster robot formations, bad costumes, little buddy pokemon robots. I've been reading that it's actually a pretty good series with some depth, so I think I may check it all out before passing judgement.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  19. Painted_Outlaw

Painted_Outlaw The new Tendou Souji

> Go-Onger
    > having depth

Do I even want to know where you read stuff like that?

20. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

Why everyone hates Go-Onger so much? It was a real light series (unlike that awfull Shinkenger/Goseiger-thing). It didin't have good plot, but is it really matter? It was a Sentai-parody. Not as good as Carranger or Ababrenger, but still a parody, so it has to be judjed as parody. Was it REALLY that bad? It had a lot of humor, comedy characters, some rare robo-combinations. WTF?! It had Go-On Wings, who were awesome! They were the last Sixth Heroes, whom I trully enjoyed. It has a lot of flows, but I personally think Go-Onger isn't about a hardcore Sentai Series.