Least Favorite Sentai

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by HonestHeart17, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Burkion

Burkion SLICE

Jetman. Fucking Jetman.

I'm 17 episodes in and I hate Jetman.

2. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

Sentai, which I don't like? Google V and Zyuranger. I don't think Toku should be THAT childish. Mebius level is enough.
    Goseiger... maybe. But still not as much as Zyu and Google V.

3. kamil88

kamil88 Lurker

Zyuranger - bland cast (Except for Geki, mainly because of great actor, Yuuta Mochizuki, who also play Tuxedo Kamen in Anza Sera Myu)Especially Mei, her battle cry was extremely annoying for me, and she was boring) too much focus of children
    Magiranger to Gekiranger - Again, villains were ok there, but it doesn`t matter, if main cast annoy me, Power Rangers adaptation of these Sentais were much better

4. Liquid Chris Sentai

Liquid Chris Sentai Member

None of the main cast in Power Rangers Operation Overdrive were likeable. They're always asking dumb questions they should know the answers to. They ask questions like "Why are the bad guys attacking people!" or "Why did the bad guy slay his own buddy who clearly betrayed him." Mack & Ronnie came the closet to being anywhere near remotely likeable. Plus Andrew Hartford is the worst mentor of all time. Zordon being an "asshole" can be justified when you try and figure out why. When you do the same for Andrew Hartford, you see that he is more than an "asshole". He is just disturbing. The cast of Boukenger are way more likeable in my opinion.

5. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

I've not met many who liked both, or even liked them equally. There's usually a strong preference for one or the other. I find it interesting because PR fans always claim they're basically the same.

I can't really assess the Japanese fandom as a whole. It's way too big and I've only had interactions with it at fairly narrow points, mainly for figuring out matters for subbing projects. Here's a few little things I've picked up over the years:

- Japanese Sentai fans are on the whole more casual and take things for granted a bit more, since they have to put much less effort into watching the stuff.
    - They're also way more nostalgic about it. There's usually a big preference among viewers for shows they saw growing up, and a tendency to associate the material with the happiness of childhood.
    - That said, Japanese super-fans who put tons of effort into interacting with performers and such put their Western counterparts to shame.
    - Most viewers of Sentai start with the material they saw as a kid and go forward, if they care to keep watching it. While you can rent old Sentai on DVD in Japan pretty easily, most people don't bother. Watching really old seasons is basically only done by diehard fans.
    - They're really unforgiving of weekly shows they think are "bad," and quick to mock elements of a show they find stupid or hateful into derisive memes. This makes sense-- it's easier for them to see older stuff, so they don't have any vested interest in saying new stuff is great, or defending it.
    - A lot of the Japanese fans love tokusatsu, but at least the more modern fans don't seem to want to take it seriously at all. Comedic moments or moments where strange things happen are often really popular, moreso than cool fights or stock footage.
    - Nobody really expects the material to be well-written or well-made, though it's appreciated when it happens. But people basically expect things to be cheesy, and excuse a lot of things that bug their Western counterparts (or get annoyed by things that don't faze the Western fans at all).
    - Generally, they favor strong emotional moments over things strictly meant to be "badass" or "cool". Even things in a story that flat-out illogical or shoddy will be excused if there's a big emotional payoff.

6. meno

meno Member

Could you give some examples of either? I'm really curious to know what are the things that bug Japanese fans that Western fans don't care about and vice versa.

7. Berty

Berty Eenymeenyminymo

Car Ranger.

8. New GL of sector 2814

New GL of sector 2814 Member

Dekaranger without question. Episodic TV shows can be very good, but carbon copy episodes are freakin annoying I don't understand the love for this show and never will. I take every possible opportunity to keep Dekaranger away from newly interested fans.

9. Loghorn

Loghorn Lurker

Agree with this.

Disagree, especially in the bold.

10. Clocktower

Clocktower Member

That explains the endings of the past few Kamen Riders :laugh:

11. Nnnkingston

Nnnkingston Altair

Out of what I've seen, Goggle V. Characters are not interesting and suits are horrendous.

12. KingRanger

KingRanger Banned

First how much have you seen? Second you do realize it's from way way back right?

My least favorite sentai is Jetman.

13. cypsiman2

cypsiman2 MagiFanboy

I have a fair few Sentais that I regard as my least favorite, where their cons exceed their pros beyond what my standards can accept.

Jetman is in fact one of the best examples of this, because there are many aspects of the show that I really, really, really like and I would love to see explored in Sentai, but at the same time there are many aspects to Jetman that I really, really, really hate, most notably the Love Triangle and the Epilogue; would that I could surgically excise that which I did not like about Jetman, that would be an amazing show for me.

By contrast, Hikari Sentai Maskman didn't really do anything offensively bad, it was just a stunning disappointment all around, it just completely failed to connect with me, the story and characters were not engaging to me with the exception of Akira/Blue Mask. At least it had stunning visual designs and soundtrack, especially the opening and ending themes.

Gaoranger was fun, if you were to put on any given episode I would probably sit down to watch it, but as a whole the series has very little impact on me, just little bits here and there, but nothing I could really regard as memorable.

14. Shougo B'Stard

Shougo B'Stard Would like to change his avatar

Home Page:
    Ordinarily, my answer would be Boukenger or Go-onger, but Go-busters is coming close to it, it's so damn boring and nothing and goes through the motions -- why is it even being released to DVD and BD, can you imagine anyone having the urge to rewatch the show? It has no rewatchability factor, it's just...nothingness. Even when the show is trying to be "fun," it's flat and lifeless -- as cold and empty as the mecha it loves so much.

15. Loghorn

Loghorn Lurker

I agree, though every sentai series comes out on DVD &/or Blu-Ray whatever they're popular or not.

Gokaiger & Go-Busters are the only two series that are on Blu-Ray right now (besides that awesome show Akibaranger!), but I'm definitely going for Gokaiger if I had the money to choose between the two series for the BD format.

16. lazycoconut

lazycoconut I liked him when he wasn't a god

Although I found Mystic Force and OO to be dreadful shows, I still prefer them to Magiranger and Boukenger, which I would say are the only two Sentai I actively dislike. OO would probably have been my least favourite PR series until RPM beat it, but that's for another thread.

17. Goty

Goty Member

I had the same thought. I have the habit of archiving every single Sentai/Rider as i'm watching - even series i initially hate, since i like to marathon them later to find some positive points.

But with Go-Busters, even though there were some good episodes, at some point i realized i'd never want to watch it again, then deleted the whole folder. Somehow i don't see any rewatchability there, and that's a first to me.

18. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

I'll do my best. As far as I can tell...

- Western fans typically dislike it when a show references a mythology "inaccurately," or without embracing the entire mythology. For instance, see people who were really mad that the Goseigers didn't fight demons or "fallen angels," and just weren't very angel-like, from a Western POV. Japanese fans, as far as I can tell, don't give even the slightest shit about this. They usually know the accurate mythology, they just think it's funnier or more amusing to not really interpret it directly. Zyuranger bloggers in particular seem to love that show's really cracked take on certain myths.
    - Japanese fans love Monsters of the Week, to distraction. They comment on them extensively in blogs, they catalogue them in massive wikis, they look forward to their appearances with excitement. Western fans often seem to pay little attention to them, often regarding them as little more than props to facilitate fight scenes.
    - Western fans are often very passionate, and big on giving shows every possible chance to be good. People argue you should watch 4, 6, 12, or every episode before you can say a show is bad. Japanese fans are completely the opposite. They have no patience at all for anything that bores them even slightly, and are willing to turn on shows quickly. Again, I think it's because there's more access to the material, so the Japanese fans take things a bit more for granted.
    - Japanese fans are far more interested in being entertained than in shows being well-written, or consistent, or badass/cool. In short, the Japanese fans desire "fun" more than "good," you could say. So there's a tendency to view anything that's entertaining, even if it's bizarre or totally illogical, as a net positive. This mentality I think leads to the big emphasis on comedy and silliness in modern stuff, which a lot of the Western fandom seems to detest-- they generally want things to be badass/cool and logically consistent.

19. Burkion

Burkion SLICE

I will say, on a previous conversation we've had before Lynx, I've watched more of Zyu.

Honestly, it's a pretty good show. Not really comparable with MMPR at all, more than I thought.

...also oddly enough, I think I like the show MORE with them in their fantasy outfits than their Ranger forms. Their fantasy outfits make sense to me, while the Zyu suits look too...odd to fit with it. What with the laser guns and the shotgun axe.

It would have been cool if they could have gotten more fantasy-esque Ranger outfits, would have fit the theme better, maybe more organic looking 'zords'.

So kinda like Magiranger, I guess.

20. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

With regard to this last point, do you have any idea what the Japanese fans tend to think of Gekiranger? I realise there's going to be a difference between the general audience's reaction and the Japanese fandom's reaction, but it would certainly shed some light onto why Gekiranger had that big ratings drop. The first half of the show is definitely more light-hearted, more focused on the MotW and collecting power-up weapons and mech add-ons from colourful characters like Elehung and Sharkie. The second half is much more of a serious arc-driven affair. The kind of thing that us western fans seem to love (and indeed judging by the way it's spoken of in these forums it's certain raised up on a pedistal) but which perhaps didn't appeal anywhere near as much back home.