Least Favorite Sentai

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by HonestHeart17, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Fantasy Leader

Fantasy Leader Member

People seem to generally like the Barban from Gingaman.

For the Evorian, people seem to be okay with them. Though the villains that people seem to REALLY love from Aba are Mikoto, Jannu, and Gileton. In fact, it kinda makes me wonder why people are generally less divided with these villains compared to Rio and Mele.

For Nejirejia, I hear lots of praise towards Dr. Hinelar and even the Nejirangers (despite their limited appearance). But I don't hear much about them beyond those.

You know, all this talk is really tempting me to give Gekiranger another rewatch soon. :laugh:

2. Shougo B'Stard

Shougo B'Stard Would like to change his avatar

Home Page:
    They DO mention Ken before he shows up, it's just confusing:

When the three are getting their asses handed to them by the Kenma -- and this is before they get Kageki -- Miki and Sha-fu mention contacting another member of the team. What happens is that the show decides to first introduce Gou/Violet, but his appearance was a total accident, so he's not the one Miki and Sha-fu were referring to. Once the show gets Violet's introduction out of the way, they immediately introduce Ken, who Miki and Sha-fu even remark that he took his time answering their call.

3. live jetabare

live jetabare Member

In that case, how do you explain the success of Hurricanger and Magiranger? They were popular both rating wise and toy sales wise and are fondly remembered, and nevertheless did focus a lot on villains; both the Jakanja and the Infershia did have a lot of focus, and Wolzard at least leeched as much screen time as Rio and Mele did.
    It's telling that in Gokaiger, they did put a big tribute to the Jakanja by bringing back two former Jakanja generals (or, rather, their offspring, which are in fact, pretty much carbon copies of their fathers).
    Do you think Japanese sentai fans have so much changed between Magiranger and now?

4. lazycoconut

lazycoconut I liked him when he wasn't a god

I've never heard of or seen any Japanese fan comments about those shows. I would guess the difference is that while Hurricaneger and Magiranger had strong villain presence, those villains weren't more important than the heroes, whereas in Gekiranger they pretty much were. Magiranger made the heroes and villains equally matched, while in Gekiranger, Jan was the most important and rounded character on the Rangers' side but everyone else tended to fall flat. I feel that Hurricaneger neglected its main three heroes, but Nanami is as popular in Japan as she is with western fans (despite doing little - that's a rant for another day) and the Gouraijers and Shurikenger saw enough action that it again didn't feel like the show was focusing on the villains at the expense of the Rangers.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  5. live jetabare

live jetabare Member

Dunno; Wolzard seemed to have much more focus than characters like Makito, Urara or Houka, and Meemy had as much focus as Magishine; besides, in Hurricanger, the Gouraigers had a lot of focus because they were villains during the first third of Hurri.

6. lazycoconut

qq

But Wolzard later became a hero, too, and Hurricaneger started indicating pretty early on that the Gouraijers would come over to the Hurricanegers' side (also at the beginning, before they joined the team, the Hurricanegers got a bit more focus since the show was still setting everything up.) Magiranger had Hikaru as well, who was a strong presence on the Rangers' side, while Gou and Ken were specifically written to be of no use in the ultimate conflict

7. live jetabare

live jetabare Member

Other than the problem of the "big villain focus", I feel that another problem that Geki had was the big focus on the supporting characters, be them heroic or villainous. For example, the seven Kensei sometimes seem to have more focus than the heroes, and they look like the true rivals of the Kenma. The heroes not only lost focus time because of Rio and Mele, but also because of the supporting characters. Heck, a Ran focused episode became pretty much a Miki focused episode, because she looked much more awesome.
    And once again, I feel you're a little harsh towards Gou; even if he didn't have a lot of focus, he managed to be a fan favorite and a memorable character, he still had a fun intro arc.

8. Shougo B'Stard

Shougo B'Stard Would like to change his avatar

Home Page:
    Just 'cause a couple of knuckleheads at 2chan say they didn't like Go-busters or Gekiranger for X reason doesn't apply to every friggin' fan in Japan. When Gekiranger was newer, a lot of people liked Rio and Mele, so...

9. live jetabare

live jetabare Member

Shougo
    Gekiranger had low ratings, and, more importantly, low toy sales compared to sentai series before of after it; its impopularity can be measured objectively.

10. lazycoconut

It's still a valid opinion. Not everyone over here likes Rio and Mele, either.

Gekiranger has other factors working against it, though. It's when Sentai had to start competing with Pokemon Sunday on another channel. I don't know how big an impact that had, but it's a possible reason or part of the reason for the huge fall in ratings between Boukenger and Gekiranger (from which Sentai hasn't recovered)

11. live jetabare

live jetabare Member

Indeed; that could explain the ratings, but not the toy sales.

12. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

What the producers said about the toy sales is that they feel like the Gekiranger line never really stood a chance, because it ended up competing directly with Den-O for mindshare, shelf space, and dollars. Given the tremendous success of the Jungle Fury line in the US, where Rider is a non-entity, I think there might be something to that hypothesis.

(I think Sentai's flagging toy sales in recent years can probably be explained, in large part, by the way Heisei Rider now completely dominates the boys' toy market.)

13. Sentaifan'07 Xman

Sentaifan'07 Xman "Let's DRIVING!!!!!"

Here are my least favorite Sentai series....
    1) Engine Sentai Go-Onger
    2) Tensou Sentai Goseiger
    3) Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
    4) Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger
    5) Chikyuu Sentai Fiveman

14. Gokai Green

Gokai Green Member

Go-Busters and Toqger for me. Both was utterly boring, the villains and the 6th rangers was more interesting than the main heroes, and this may be an unpopular opinion but I feel that folks has been given Kobayashi a pass for her sentai works post-Shinkenger for what I feel she was just coasting along and was just there for a check.

15. lazycoconut

I agree that ToQger, in particular, is much more positively received than it would be had it been written by almost anyone else. It would be written off as stupid and childish like Goseiger and Go-onger are. (It does have the Shadow Line plot and people love villains ... but even so, Goseiger gets quite a bit of villain focus and is still bashed)

16. Gokai Green

Gokai Green Member

Ninninger is a prime example. The show is disliked by the majority of the fandom but it has the same problems that Toqger had which was the show was basically filler for the 1st half but the only thing Toqger had over Ninninger was that it's villains was focused more. I feel that Kobayashi gets excuses is because she can write a good "end game" or get people in their feelings.

17. HurricaneDragon

HurricaneDragon Member

I really have to disagree with that one. For starters, what I've noticed people often calling filler with Kobayashi's shows tend to be more character driven/development-based arcs, or "filler" that usually tends to have a purpose. Case in point, ToQGer's first half was building up the cast , and at best, only stuff like the hot springs episode really sticks out as filler to me, but it does still serve the purpose of tightening the team's bond with Akira, which was important for a later arc. You've also got the first 20 or so episodes of Go-Busters, where pretty much almost every single episode did something for some part of the greater story - it still blows me away how well put together and focused that show is compared to other ones. Likewise, the part of OOO people call filler I tend to find containing some of the most important and enjoyable parts of the show.

To put it another way, the good end game or the feelings you're referring to is probably only possible based on the "filler" that the first half spent laying foundation for.

Simply put, I don't think it really has anything to do with people feeling like they obligated to defend a writer like you guys are suggesting, but that certain tastes like to preferring certain things, and if a writer happens to provide certain things repeatedly, you're going to prefer what that writer does. You guys clearly don't, which is cool, but I don't think it's nearly as much blind defending as you're suggesting.

Like, I just started Ninninger, and it feels like a completely different animal from ToQGer so far, but I am, admittedly, only a few episodes in. I mean... I'm going to be honest here, the only thing I've gotten out of this is that it's trying really really hard to be Kyoryuger. It's not being good at it at all, mind, but by god, it's trying.

That said, I did finally start Shinkenger recently as well since people keep insisting people only like her shows based on it (spoilers: I'm going off of Go-Busters and then OOO for why I like her, so yeah), and I can see why people feel that way (it'll probably be one of my favorites when I finish it), but I don't think a show going on 10 years old now is that big a factor, really.