Kamen Rider Hibiki: Quietly being the Worst Heisei Series along with Decade

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by raden238, Jan 10, 2016.

1. FreedomR8G6B1

FreedomR8G6B1 Member

I liked Hibiki. It was risky using the music motif due to its absurdity, then again "fruit samurai" and I hope Rider takes more risks in the future. This Rider series had really likable characters sans Kiriya (but made up for it as Zeronos). The main rider himself was a pretty cool dude. Laid back and never got serious unless needed to. There were some moments where he was polite to the makamou making it more amusing. And who doesn't like the Hibiki salute. The second half of the season, as much as I was disappointed, there were some high spots. I loved the Oni no Yoroi...and its homage to Ninja Arashi. Then again, Zanki, man. Also, what was wrong with Hibiki's flame breath? That was awesome. So you're saying Hibiki opening his face plate will scare children? Really?

2. raden238

raden238 Member

Its nice reading all of your mixed opinions on Hibiki. I didn't touch on the movie in my first post, but lets just say I didn't like the movie either. The Seven Senki barely had any screen time and I feel we didn't get to know them (except for Kabuki) and the movie was pretty cliche.

3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Unfortunately, it seems like Toei is done taking risks and would rather just stay on cruise control and coast along than do anything new.

4. SquidKing

SquidKing Member

Agreed, and that's what's pushing me away these days.

I noticed that as time goes, they're basically removing the mystery elements of Kamen Rider, and going to a simple weekly drama style. Makes me very sad.

5. ferosaki

ferosaki Extreme Perfect Complete Ultimate !

And the last best thing ever happened in kamen rider was gaim..we will never got any of that level of epicness anymore

6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

It's kind of sad because I feel Rider is now in the same rut as Sentai.

7. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

^ I agree with all of these points.

In what way is it horrible? I haven't seen Seven Samurai but I have seen The Magnificent Seven, and Seven Oni being an adaptation of sorts was part of the appeal to me.

8. PowerPhantom245

PowerPhantom245 Lurker

When the franchise is 40+ years old, what do you expect?
    Then again, any franchise has its ups and downs. It's not always better or worse.

9. SquidKing

SquidKing Member

Sadly probably true.

10. SquidKing

SquidKing Member

You realize that the bad guy in the Seven Samurai was society?

Sorry, wrong response. Mine was for the original post, not your response to it.

11. KamenGrappler

KamenGrappler Lurker

Ya never know, after Fourze and Wizard, Gaim was certainly a surprise. It could happen again. Overall I do agree with you though. The best days of Kamen Rider are probably behind us. I still hold out hope that a really unique and interesting Rider series will happen again, but I won't be shocked if it doesn't. Kamen Rider has become very formulaic overall.

Sure Ghost could be better, but I don't think it's terrible, just kind of...standard. I'd say it's getting a bit better though as time goes on.

12. DaikaijuSokogeki!

DaikaijuSokogeki! New Member

Home Page:
    Everyone complaining about formula forgets that the Showa series was about as formulaic as you can get.

"This week, Kamen Rider [fill in the blank] must stop [shadowy evil organization] from kidnapping a scientist's child/blowing up a major landmark or city/befriend a child whose parents were murdered and defeats the monster with his trademark finisher."

And then there's the Heisei formula:

"This week, Kamen Rider [fill in the blank] has a misunderstanding/fights with Kamen Rider [fill in the blank] leading to high tensions between them. Meanwhile, a monster is off rampaging somewhere that one or more of the Riders must fight."

I love Kamen Rider to death, but to say it's never been this formulaic before is absurd.

13. KamenGrappler

KamenGrappler Lurker

While I tend to agree with you about Showa, Heisei has definitely gotten more formulaic since W. Almost every show or series of movies follows a formula of some type or another, but Kamen Rider has become all about the two episode story arc. Every other episode a "victim" of some type is introduced, we're told a bit about this person, so that we care they get saved, and inevitably by the next episode they do. This is time I feel could be better spent on characterization of characters that are involved in the narrative for longer than 2 episodes.

Also the 2nd Rider is almost always introduced in such a way that they have "beef" with the titular Rider, they battle it out for a few episodes and then come to understand each other better and end up working together. While some of these elements certainly exist pre-W they don't exist in EVERY pre-W Rider show the way they do now.

It is this pattern that I was speaking of, and it is also what I feel has made Kamen Rider a bit stale as of late. Also, just to clarify, I'm not saying I don't like Kamen Rider anymore, I just think it could stand to have a little more variety.

14. SquidKing

SquidKing Member

Oh I think Showa is much worse for this stuff, but if you look at the early Heisei stuff (I consider the change point to be Den-O) it's much more varied and interesting, or perhaps, less predictable.

15. Khaiden

Khaiden Heroes are forever

Home Page:
    Looking at it generally it seems like both Showa and the first Heisei decade were formulaic. But if you actually see a full series, just ONE, you will notice this "formula" tends to be broken by an episode after a short time. The stage keeps changing. I usually find that, for the Showa era, people mistake it's episodic nature with a straight formula that's never broken. Just because it doesn't have arcs (and even that is false, as there are a couple of series that did, most notably X) and repeats some themes here and there it does not mean the entirety of it was a dull adherence to a certain formula. For the first Heisei decade, I find it's just a huge bandwagon of Inoue/Yonemura hate. There's not as many misunderstandings and rivers as are made out to be.

There's been formulas, yes. But they've never stuck around for long. As a matter of fact, the formula of 2 Riders per series and bi-weekly storytelling was the one that lasted the longest, and even then it wasn't that long (though depends on what you think is long). It started with Den-O, was interrupted by Kiva, then resumed with Decade in 2009 and stayed until late 2013. That's only 4 years in a row, 5 in total. Formulas have happened in Kamen Rider, and what you've said about each eras repetitions is not wrong, but is not as exaggerated as it is said to be. They keep changing it. They've kept changing it and that's why it's been around for 45 years.

16. DaikaijuSokogeki!

DaikaijuSokogeki! New Member

Home Page:
    Oh, I absolutely have no problem with the shows and their structures themselves (I'm a huge defender of Kamen Rider 555, so I have nothing against Inoue's writing of that era either). I'm just playing Devil's Advocate by pointing out the basic, exaggerated formula of each era. I mean, even the Neo-Heisei series has done twists on the formula in subtle ways (Kamen Rider Birth is a very different kind of secondary Rider than Kamen Rider Accel, Kamen Rider Wizard introducing the Mages in the later part of the series) or in big ways (Kamen Rider OOO is similar but in many ways different from W and Fourze, and the only reason those two are so similar is because of the shared staff).

And I find Kamen Rider Ghost to have more in common with something like Gaim than Drive in its general story structure, but even then it's not introducing several Riders and it doesn't feel as "grand" in scope. So I really don't know where the complaining about Ghost being formulaic is coming from.

17. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I'm not talking about the show being formulaic though. Black is my second or third favorite rider series. I'm talking about the lack of series taking any risks. Ghost and Drive are pretty much by the book in predictability. Black still had a lot of twist and turns in them that you didn't see coming even with the formula.

Also, they're characters are extremely childish and Toei seems to have driven the comedy up to the extreme obnoxious level like they have with Sentai. Shunpei in Wizard, the cops in Drive, and that annoying monk and the girl in Ghost are horrible to deal with. Every time they are on screen they drag the show down into the depths below mediocrity. Every one of them is like a Daigo or Ban of the Kamen Rider franchise, just without them being the main lead hero. They're still there enough to make it hard to sit through an episode, and without them, the shows would be so much better. Gaim had Jounouchi, but he was no where near to the level of annoying as all of those idiots were/are.

When I say risks, I am talking about trying something new. Ghost just repeats what Drive did, but every episode I saw felt rushed and like it was edited together by someone with ADHD. There were scenes that had several camera angle changes in 20 seconds time. WTF?

18. Byg4299

Byg4299 Member

I personally think the side characters have gotten better since Wizard. Wizard will stand as my example of how not to do side characters. Whether or not you find the comedy shtick in Drive or Ghost better or worse is up to personal opinion but i can honestly say that they were at least somewhat relevant to the plot either through character interaction or just general importance to story. The side characters in Wizard on the other hand were none of these. With some exception, most of them were just wacky characters just for the sake of having wacky characters. You could remove them from the story and not a single thing about the plot would change, which in my opinion is the biggest failure of any character. If you're not relevant to the plot, what is your purpose to the story.

19. SquidKing

SquidKing Member

Early Heisei didn't use the two week formula, switched up between two or three riders (or one, once) and laid out mystery over the course of 20 or more episodes, not 5.

20. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

^ Technically it did use the two week formula, it just wasn't as obvious about it as the show is now. Recent shows often have the MOTW get away from a fight, no matter how contrived the method of escape may be, just for the story to extend another episode.