Kamen Rider Ghost - Episode 7

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by SquidKing, Nov 21, 2015.

1. HurricaneDragon

HurricaneDragon Member

Yeah, I'm with you on the minor stuff. If we have to have these stories about monsters of the week (which I wish could REALLY be explored more, since we're basically only seeing half the story a lot of the time, like when we had Edison and Tesla in episode 2 but Tesla was only really "there" if you understood) and then the victims, who have actually genuinely interesting stuff like the neighborhood plot, it'd be nice to have stuff done with it.

To the show's credit, I've gone back a bit and they were foreshadowing the guy in the hat giving the victim of the week the push towards certain historical figures all the way back in episode 2, so I'll give it credit towards the overarching plot (this was one line that they'll probably use in a flashback later), but it still seems so-so right now.

As for the BGM... I dunno. Some of it I really like, some if seems out of place. It's weird. I don't dislike it... I think? It doesn't feel as connected as other shows have, though - like Drive, Gaim, Wizard (loved Wizard's), and OOO all felt like they had a real theme going for them, but Ghost's feels all over the place with a couple of its tracks - though, and I need to check, maybe if some of the forms having specific tracks for them, that might be why? A soundtrack trying to accommodate heroes from Japan, Europe, and America would obviously sound equally all over the place.

Uh, hey, I'm pretty sure this should be under a spoiler? Because, uh, yeah. That's kinda of a big one!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  2. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

It's about picking what ideas you are going to develop within the limited run time of an episode, and that's exactly what this episode did. They introduced the exposition describing backstory. They introduced a case as a way to get Takeru out in the open so that Spectre could confront him and we could see that Takeru is more determined than previous times they'd clashed. We saw Spectre's encounter with the dentist's nightmare to confirm that the earlier exposition was about him. At this point they are 8 minutes away from the end credits, and they've got to show off three toys (lantern, clock, eyecon), have a fight scene, and set up the kidnapping for next week's episode. Even then, they managed to squeeze in a bit of foreshadowing with Aran/Alan. They really did get a lot done.

There are loads of Showa Riders and indeed other toku series that have done the 'spooky village where everyone has been possessed/replaced' gimmick very well in a single episode. It's totally possible to do if the people making the show had wanted to. They just had their priorities elsewhere. If you find it to be a "potentially interesting" idea, well there's always episode five of KR Black.

3. Hentailover

Hentailover Lurker

And that;s a problem. I don't like when too much is done in the episode. It devalues things that are done to me. I like them to focus and decompress those things. Otherwise it feels rushed. None of the plotpoints were given time to breathe.

4. lazycoconut

lazycoconut I liked him when he wasn't a god

Movie spoilers:

According to promotional info for the movie, when Shinnosuke and Takeru arrive in the past, Shinnosuke tries to convince Takeru that they must go back to their own time. Takeru refuses to leave because he's trying to find a way to save his father, even though their being in the past is causing dangerous changes in the timeline. I can see the two of them getting into a fight over that

5. HurricaneDragon

HurricaneDragon Member

And that doesn't come off as rushed?

If anything, they could have extended a plotplot from one episode while carrying this stuff through both of them. It feels almost like a kneejerk reaction to how people reacted to Wizard's stuff, even though Drive and Gaim both proved you could do this kind of thing well.

The problem is I'm not watching those, and I'm not going to judge this show based on those. It would be disingenuous to do so. We're talking about Ghost - we can say other shows did it better or worse, but that's them.

6. kuroihikari

kuroihikari Member

It doesn't come as rushed to me. Not even in the slightest. Japanese shows are usually incredibly slow-paced and I'm fine with that, but when they do stuff like this that dispenses with narrative dead weight, it's refreshing to me.

I usually fast-forward through them anyway.

7. ferosaki

ferosaki Extreme Perfect Complete Ultimate !

Well, i absolutely prefer fast paced messy story than a garbage two-week eps arc :p

8. LaZerwolfX

LaZerwolfX Henshin a Go-Go!!

Okay, so I'm super done with this.
    While we may have gotten a strict two parter structure for several years in a row, and literally anything was a nice change of pace. To act like either structure is inherently better is fucking absurd. And despite what Kamen Rider may have us believe, there is a middle ground between ONLY two parters and ONLY singular episodes. So can we all just chill about the 2 week thing. That shit hasn't been a thing for the last 3 series including ghost.

And frankly with the frantic pace that Ghosts episodes are written I'd argue that many of the shows arcs would have benefited from another episode to better flesh out the side characters and better integrate their respective famous figure.

9. kuroihikari

kuroihikari Member

I think this is still gonna be a two-episode arc, though.

10. SquidKing

SquidKing Member

It already hasn't been, until the last two. I don't expect them to go back to that after the first several.

I agree with the Wolf: there's no good and bad styles. People are just complaining to do it.

11. ferosaki

ferosaki Extreme Perfect Complete Ultimate !

After a huge blockbuster named GAIM, it's hard to think that any kind of overarching stories will be this interisting again...and here comes drive which were brought in a different format eventhough it's one off episodic arc
    I agree that some of drive's overarching arc was also great, but if we look back to its formulaic ones, it crushed my heart

Guess i have to wait for urobuchi/takebe to start doing kamen rider series again to bring this format once more..

On ghost subject, do we have a name for javelle's actor ? I seem to know him somewhere but i forget

12. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

He played Geki Chopper, the rhino-themed ranger in Gekiranger.

13. kuroihikari

kuroihikari Member

Just putting this out there: Gaim was not a huge blockbuster.

Who is Javelle?

14. SquidKing

SquidKing Member

I think he means a big, well-written story, not a huge success.

Javelle is the new bad guy for the movie.

15. Solari

Solari New Member

Talk of Javelle should be怀done in either ep 9 thread...or the rumour thread

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  16. HurricaneDragon

HurricaneDragon Member

I don't know who you were replying to specifically with this part, but to clarify if this was to me, I wasn't saying that one was inherently better than the other, I was saying that in this case, Ghost specifically feels as though it would benefit from slowing down a bit. Basically, exactly what you're saying in the second part there.

On the flipside though, a lot of the older shows could also benefit from a quicker pace at times too, definitely. Wizard's Christmas episode is a perfect example of one of my favorite one-part episodes in the franchise. It did everything it needed to in one episode, and Wizard in general probably could've condensed a few of its stretched out arcs like that, especially the ones that were just relying on THE DESPAIR OF THE FEAR OF THE DESPAIR OF DEAAAAAATTTHHHHH instead of more personal stuff.

Both can be done, and really, I'd love to see how they could be integrating the other figures they're using but not focusing on down the road. It doesn't seem like they're going to be doing that though, which is kind of a shame, since if you look at it from that angle, the show's technically had well over 15 Eyecons present already.

17. Undrave

Undrave CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!

I'm fine the brainwash neighbhood plot didn't try to hide that a Ganma was involved. We're not idiots, geez, we know what show we're watching and what it involves! It's like going to see a movie titled 'Transformers' and seeing that movie trying to play it all mysterious with what is going on, as if we don't already know it's about giant transforming robots.

On the flipside, decompress too much and you get stuff like Wizard, Shinkenger and Drive where the show meandres about with monster of week for twenty episodes while we wonder where the story is going.

18. HurricaneDragon

HurricaneDragon Member

I really don't think Drive and Wizard are in the same category, and a Sentai has a different format in a lot of ways as it is (though by Sentai standards, I wouldn't even say Shinkenger meandered anyway - got a bit weird at the end, but that's it).

19. Undrave

Undrave CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!

I gave up on Drive in the 30s and I don't feel I learned much about the overall plot in those 30 episodes.