Kamen Rider Amazons Talkback

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by scikaiju, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Kain, what are you talking about? (Again). Nanaha was never a villain. I don't know what show you were watching.

I just watched the movie last night. I'm apparently among the few who liked it. I get the criticism that it's not really that necessary, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. It basically continued on the themes from seasons 1 and 2; I don't really get all the complaints about either season beyond what I suspect is people having gotten used to Phase 2 Heisei's current style. The movie really drives home the point by the end that Haruka is alone and will be alone despite his many victories, and makes you pity all the Amazons. It's the bittersweetness that makes Kamen Rider what it is. On that point I especially loved the final scene with Haruka riding off "into the sunset" figuratively. It felt reminiscent of Showa Rider.

The only thing I didn't like was that there was no resolution for the villains. Will Tachibana be murdered? Is he going to jail? Nothing happened to Tenjo: I thought he would either die or be arrested. I get that it follows Shotaro Ishinomori's theme of evil always coming back, but it doesn't leave this series much closure in that regard. What's stopping Nozama/4C from catching the surviving Amazons and doing the same thing they tried with Jin, or just killing them off? I'd have liked a real ending for them.

2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Nanaha straight up infected the water the turned people into Amazons. That makes her a villain.

Not to mention she tried to kill a few of the heroes.

3. Hangyakuno

Hangyakuno Lurker

Not really sure, she is Nanaha. She is something between pure mindless monster and ghostling Nanaha.
    Just like what happened with V3's sister from movie Kamen Rider The Next.

I didn't remember if she purposely infect water, but some Amazon did throw her part of body to infect the river. What she did mostly was to defend herself until Jin come to end her.

4. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Still haven't seen The Next.

5. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

That wasn't Nanaha. Mamoru and the Amazons infected the water. Chihiro killed and ate Nanaha.

6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

That was Nanaha. Remember, she was turned into an Amazon when Jin impregnated her? She was the 6 winged angel creature.

7. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Chihiro was conceived as an Amazon-human hybrid like Jin, and that passed on to Nanaha. Nanaha didn't infect the water with Amazon cells, Mamoru and his group used her body parts (or Chihiro's?) to do that.

8. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Yes, but she still came back as an Amazon and ended up having to be defeated. She did try to kill Omega and gang.

9. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

I think the point of Amazons is that it isn't as simple a situation as 'monsters bad, humans good'.

All the characters who see the situation as a black-and-white, us-vs-them scenario are treated as antagonists, while those that acknowledge that it isn't clear cut are treated as protagonists.

My recollection is that the arm used to infect the water was unwillingly severed from it's owner by Mamoru's group, rather than being their intentional action. But I could be wrong; It's been quite a while now.

I think the second season definitely wants us to regard Nanaha as an unfortunate victim of circumstance. But then again, it also expects us to sympathize with the five year old eldritch abomination.

10. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

We watched the movie tonight in the hopes it would rinse that second season down. How they managed to make it worse, I do not know. Good god was this movie down right boring. I thought it was supposed to be a send off for the characters, but apparently the message of the film is that filler tastes great. Spoiler warning btw.

"Remember when cannibalism was a wholesome family meal? Pepridge Farms remembers."

That's all I can think of with the whole Principal Skinner and his free range children plot. What the hell? How did this even become a thing? When was this thing plotted out? How many years did it take for this event to occur? The way the characters act very little time has passed since the second season ended. Of course, given that the writers decided they were tired of the blindness subplot, so they just randomly gave Jin his sight back, who knows. Maybe it is year's later even though none of the characters reflect that.

Nothing happened for the first 70 minutes and then when something happened, it was over before you even had the chance to enjoy it. At this point, if someone asked me if I would recommend Amazons I would tell them no. The first season was great, but rest of the show makes it not worth the investment at all.

The final fight between Jin and Haruka makes the final fight between Kuuga and Dezuba look amazing. In fact, I felt like this fight was no different than the one they had at the end of the first season, which means it was as irrelevant as the rest of the crap that came after. Oh yeah, then there was the one dude with the glasses from the second season that did absolutely nothing the entire movie. There was even one point where he just froze in his position with his mouth open as if someone had paused him. The best part of the movie was how ridiculous Tachibana was when he got shot in the leg by Mr Boredom. The dude was just utterly hilarious in how he was responding to getting shot as if it were a Monty Python skit.

Overall, it was an utter let down and one of the worst Kamen Rider movies out there.

11. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

That is the New World Order types/Deep Staters/globalists/whatever else you want to call them, as Shotaro Ishinimori knew existed and inserted into his media, will react when they're finally cornered and brought down: with cowardice.

I'll grant the "Amazon farm" plot had no buildup (maybe if the scene with Tachibana and the politican had taken place earlier in the movie?), but is it so surprising that that is what a group like Nozama would want to do with its Amazon cells? I really think you and others are just missing the whole point of what Amazons is. You're looking for one thing when it's about something else.

12. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I was bored. There's nothing else to look for.

13. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Abaranger is boring. Zyouhger is boring (and annoying). Amazons, the whole of it, has been the most fun I've had watching Rider since the early 2000s.

I hope Toei will try this again with another Showa Rider. ZX would be a great choice, modeled after the SIC figure and fully exploiting his ninja background. Riderman might not be bad either, looking at his SIC. Amazons characters could make guest appearances, but their show should be done after this movie. No more.

14. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Amazons first season was great, but it is no where near the best rider series since the early 2000s. W, OOO, and Gaim are far better than Amazons' first season. However, since Amazons continued beyond just that, due to the second season and the movie, I have to rank the show next to Den-O, Kabuto, and 555, which are close to the bottom of the barrel (though not at the bottom like Rx, Decade, Ghost, and Zi-O).

15. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

OOO is not better than Amazons. OOO had too much stupid stuff and unused potential to be anything more than an average Phase 2 show, along with the poor aesthetic for the OOO costume. Even Gaim, for all its throwback style to Phase 1, and W for its freshness, was too saccharine in places. Amazons doesn't have the dumb stuff that the best of recent shows, W, Gaim and Build are forced to have. Amazons is near perfect, with only a few flaws here and there, but nothing at the levels of current shows that I constantly cringe at and ruins my enjoyment. But as I said, Toei should stop now and move on to something else.

16. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

OOO is most certainly better than Amazons in my book. However, I do agree that it had a lot of wasted potential. I hated how the puppet dude over shadowed Ura when he was being developed to be the main villain. Nevertheless, the show has the best gimmick out of any Kamen Rider series and Ankh is one of the best Kamen Rider characters out there.

As for Amazons not having "dumb stuff," Amazons also doesn't have time for fun either as it takes itself too seriously. Though, you are comparing something that needs dumb stuff to fill up 50 episodes compared to something that was made solely for 13, so it had no time for filler. Nevertheless, whoever decided to Zack Snyder the video for Season 2 was a moron. Taking the color out of something doesn't make it better, it makes it generic.

17. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

Still haven't seen S2 and I thought S1 was just okay. Not great, but serviceable.
    All this talk about how bad Movie is makes me want to catch up if only to see whether Amazons Movie is worse than The First/The Next or not. I can't really imagine a Kamen Rider movie worse than those two, although OOO Movie is a close contender.

18. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I thought The First was... pretty good for what was supposed to be a modern day adaptation of the original.

Never got to see The Next though because I was waiting for Media Blasters to license it like they did with The First.