Kaiju no Kami Reviews - Kamen Rider Black (1987) Series

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by Dr Kain, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Thirty years ago, Kamen Rider Black took to the airwaves on Japanese television and became one of the biggest hits at that point in the Kamen Rider franchise. Not only was this the first show to be set in its own universe, but Kotaro had to deal with the evil forces of the Gorgom Empire on his own without a secondary rider to help him. Is this series well worth its notability or should Gorgom have wiped Kotaro off the face of the Earth? Watch to find out.

2. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Black is not in its own universe, or at least it no longer was once RX came around. Also, Amazon was the first to not have any other Riders show up at any point.

3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

1. Black is technically in its own universe. There is nothing at all that states it isn't. I'll be explaining more when I review Rx next year as I was looking at Black only. Remember also, Rx was not originally intended to be a sequel to Black.

2. I said Amazon was set in the main universe because a child called Amazon a Kamen Rider.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  4. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

The intent is irrelevant at this point. Black and by extension RX are part of the Showa universe. There's nothing in the shows that say otherwise. If it weren't for the Rider teamup in RX you might have a case.

5. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

You know what, I totally disagree, but I'm not going to argue on such a miniscule detail.

6. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

I think the term Dr. Kain is looking for is disconnected. That said doc, when you eventually review RX please do mention how RX gets into so many Banpresto crossover games. Not even trying to be funny with that: SD Battle Sumo Heisei Hero Bash, SD Hero Decisive Battle: Taose! Legion of Evil, Hero War: Project Olympus, Iron Ball Fight! The Great Battle Gaiden, Great Battle 2, The Great Battle Gaiden 2 Festival, Gaia Saver, Great Battle 3, Great Battle 5, Great Battle 6, Azito 2, Azito 3, Tokusatsu Swashbuckler Super Hero Retsuden, Super Hero Operations: Dieldal's Ambition, Super Tokusatsu Wars 2001, Great Battle Pocket, Great Battle Full Blast, Lost Heroes, Super Hero Generations, and Lost Heroes 2 all feature Black RX (that's 20!). Only Ichigo compares and he only clocks in at 18, only Shocker Combatants clock in with more appearances! And people think Den-O gets over exposure.

The point I'm trying to make is that RX is extremely popular long after the series ended.

7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Wow, I never realized how many games he was in. lol

I'll try to make sure I remember this as I don't plan to review Rx until the summer. Thanks for the info.

BTW, also remember, Toei even gave Black and Black Rx their own separate worlds in Decade.

Oh yeah, did you even watch the review or are you just going off the description I put?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  8. Bennu

Bennu New Member

I remember there was a reference to the other riders in one episode but it was more of a small nod than actual canon so it can be still be set in its universe but as of now I think Toei considers the part of the main Showa canon.