Kaiju no Kami Reviews - Chojin Sentai Jetman (1991) Series

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by Dr Kain, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

With Soda's departure Toei decided it was time to put Sentai to rest with one final series, a tribute to the first series Soda ever worked on, Gatchaman, and thus Chojin Sentai Jetman was born. Keita Amemiya was hired to be the show's director while writer Toshiki Inoue was given the reigns of being the head writer. Of course, as we all know, Jetman was not the swan song of the franchise due to its immense success. Is this series worthy of its reputation? Watch to find out.

2. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

Surprised you didn't mention how little screen time Yellow Owl got or how early episodes tried to act dark with child killings. Then there was the whole "transition of mech battles" bit, it actually did start with Fiveman what with Five Robo as a clown and the amazing finale.

3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

There's so much to talk about that some things get cut or forgotten (or avoided due to spoilers). My script was 7 pages long for this one and that was without having a movie or DVD/BD to talk about.

I'm watching Fiveman as we speak and the only thing positive I have to say about the mech battles at this point in time is that watching Five Robo act drunk was entertaining.

4. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I just released my review of the DVD set yesterday:

5. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

This review confirmed a suspicion I had with the video being over exposed, not sure what the white balance was supposed to be, but now I can safely say someone forgot how to do so in the outdoor scenes.

6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

What do you mean?

Well, whatever is wrong, hopefully Toei fixes it if they ever remastered Jetman for BD.

7. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

Under and Over Exposure can be explained easier here:

While a lot of Sentai have scenes scattered around that have both these problems, Jetman has a major issue with under exposure in the outdoor scenes.