is there a difference between a kids show and a show aimed at people of all ages?

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by Kamen rider sol, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Kamen rider sol

Kamen rider sol Member

2. KamenRiderBritannia

KamenRiderBritannia Lurker

3. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

We like to think so, but lots of people would say no.

It's kind a vague description, but I think the general difference is...
    --Shows just for kids hardly ever have anything that older audience members can get into (like those educational kids shows for toddlers and kindergarteners).
    --And shows for people of all ages are mostly for kids but have something that hopefully anyone can enjoy (like a super hero show with relationships and drama, or a high school sitcom with a few adult jokes that would fly over most kid's heads).

4. Kamen rider sol

Kamen rider sol Member

well here is what the producer of kamen rider taisen

had to say about rider:
    It doesn’t mean that the Heisei Riders have to defeat the Showa Riders to protect the kids, kids might not want to see a movie where their heroes lose to the older generation. That’s fine though. Because Kamen Rider isn’t for kids only and this is the proof. Whether Showa or Heisei wins, it doesn’t matter. Kamen Rider isn’t Showa or Heisei, it isn’t strictly for kids only or adults only. It’s for the people of this country€

5. xiiliea

xiiliea Lurker

More for kids = More monster of the week (what I define as monsters popping out for the sake of popping out with no reason behind it)

More for masses = More story (story plot progress)

Well at least for me, when I was a kid, I didn't care too much about the story, just excited about different monsters every episode.

6. Murphy

Murphy Member

Ideally, no. Good children's television is intelligent, well-crafted and meaningful enough to be enjoyed by a wide range of ages. Avatar: The Last Airbender is a great example of that.

In practice, often yes.

7. FleshisFlawed

FleshisFlawed Member

I'd say that there actually is a difference between adult entertainment and kids entertainment in their ideal forms in one way. Children are different than adults. They are younger, and less experienced. Where as adults often demand a certain amount of realism, kids more often prefer a well fleshed out fantasy, a fantasy that is made to seem real, not a reality made to seem fantastical. In practice this is a more subtle difference than one might think from my words there. Whereas for an adult-targeted show might want more realistic violence/injury in their show, a kid is fine with a cartoony depiction that gets the idea cross in a fun way they understand, a hero gets exploded for example and untransforms and has a small amount of blood coming from his mouth and rips in his clothes with no visible injuries beneath them. The child would feel the same impact from this as many adults might only feel from a very violent and gory depiction of injury. That stuff isn't necessary because a less gory, but still exciting with flames, sparks, and the hero going back into a vulnerable state in front of a dangerous enemy, usually via some kind of dramatic cg effect. There are many other examples, but i thought this was a good one.Anyways Its a great way to tell a story, and as an adult, i find this style often more interesting than the same bloody depictions of conflict we've seen over and over in entertainment aimed at older demographics. Its rife with all kinds of imagery, like gaim, when we learn that gaim had killed his friend at the beginning of the series, it was all the more jarring to see him exploded in fruit juice and orange slices and for gaim to be so excited and show-offy about the whole thing.I also think that conflict needs to have meaning in childrens entertainment, it can not be a means to an end, and it cannot be just fun, or be glorified, whereas I'm quite okay with that in media aimed at adults.

8. Murphy

Murphy Member

The question is whether there's a difference between children's fiction and fiction appropriate for all ages, though, not children's fiction and adult's fiction - by definition, the latter has more freedom than appropriate-for-all-ages fiction, because there's more leeway in regards to what's appropriate. It's the difference between Avatar and Game of Thrones, essentially.

9. Green Mario

Green Mario Somebody

Well no, if a child could watch a kid's show then a parent could watch it too.

10. kuroihikari

kuroihikari Member

Watch Inazuma Eleven. Then watch Naruto. See if there's any difference in the themes and presentation.

11. Kamen rider sol

Kamen rider sol Member

well I think their is a difference

like for what the producer said above, kamen rider is more for all ages and super sentai is more for kids.

12. kuroihikari

kuroihikari Member

Both have kids as primary audience. Both can be watched by adults (especially parents or otaku) as a secondary audience.

I really think you should give up trying to escape from the fact that KR and SS are kids' shows.

13. Kamen rider sol

Kamen rider sol Member

well I think their is a difference

I mean for example like what the producer said above kamen rider is more for all ages and while super sentai is more for kids. Compare gaim and toqger

14. Kamen rider sol

Kamen rider sol Member

sorry for the repost

I thought my post did not post ignore it

15. xSHiNOx

xSHiNOx Budou though

sentai is definitely aimed at kids more so than adults though there may be a sentai or two that is more adult oriented like gobusters from what i hear of it. rider on the other hand is more aimed at older people than kids. that's just my opinion.

16. Sentaifan'07 Xman

Sentaifan'07 Xman "Let's DRIVING!!!!!"

If a child could watch a kid's show, a parent should watch it too. So, it depends on the show's tone and which format of the show's motif is much suitable for the target demographic audience.

17. Kamen rider sol

Kamen rider sol Member

but i just want to say

kamen rider is not an adults franchise, its for all ages, just want to make that clear

18. kamsasdn13213231

kamsasdn13213231 Lurker

yeah.

Actually they are both

19. Kamen rider sol

Kamen rider sol Member

well for starters

Gaim to toqger and kyoryuger comparision. Their tones are really different. Second rider is more mainstream in Japan. Also we get stuff for riders like battride war, or a crossover with gundam, much more darker V-cinema story lines, the SIC hero saga figures, and Kamen rider spirits. It has that appeal for people of all ages like kingdom hearts.

20. kuroihikari

kuroihikari Member

It also has Shunpei, Bravo, and Gridon: The most awesome examples of behavior adults love to watch.