Is Over-Time overtranslating Zyuohger ED?

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by xiiliea, Mar 1, 2016.

1. xiiliea

xiiliea Lurker

I've been looking at Over-Time's translation of the ending song of Zyuohger, and feel like they've been overtranslating it. It's just boggling my mind on why they chose these translations, when some aren't even close to the actual meaning. Here are some examples:

[​IMG]
    This line is basically a pun on Gamushara and Raion combined together, to make Gamusharaion. It basically means "The daredevil lion". I really don't understand what "No time for lion around" has anything to do with the actual meaning. Perhaps it's supposed to mean "lying around"? Even so, lying around doesn't mean you're a daredevil. If they wanted to make it look cool, they could have gone with perhaps "The daredevilion".

[​IMG]
    Okay I get this might be a pun on "tired" sounding a bit like "tiger'd", but it's rather far-fetched, and not feeling tired doesn't immediately imply that you love having fun.

Edit: Removed r-eagle stuff cuz it does seem to mean "regal".

Also, one more line that I'm not entirely sure of the correct translation of one word, but I have an issue with, would be the "shark sharp" part, where the lyrics is clearly singing "shark shark".

Edit: Found one more line from the OP:
    [​IMG]
    The lyrics use the word "hitomi" which means eye/pupil, but the translation uses "face".

Note: Some people may know me as TV-Nihon's timer, but this is no hate on Over-Time. I just occasionally check out other sub groups to see how different they translate stuffs. I made this thread cuz of the questions bogging my mind. This is in no way saying our subs are better or anything.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  2. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

I'm sure "r-eagle" means "regal", which would sort of go with "super cool/stylish".

3. SquidKing

SquidKing Member

Yeah, I like it when people do stupid fun stuff with subs like that, but I can see where you wouldn't like it. Lucky for you, everyone else is also doing Sentai now.

4. Undrave

Undrave CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!

Because the puns wouldn't make sense without adaptation?

5. SquidKing

SquidKing Member

Japanese puns work like American rhyming, so they do not translate.

6. BLASTMATIC

BLASTMATIC Lurker

agreed, don't mine over.time's subs to others. Its so much fun!!!!!!!!!!! to watch!!!!!!!!

7. Photon

Photon Shining~

The "Shark Sharp" part is just them doing loose fun (or rather, pun) translation, just like their translation for Ghost Eyecon's phrases.

Also, it seems they want their puns to be related to the point of the song (let's dance), so we have "always looking sharp, no lying around, have lots of fun, never feeling tired"

Regarding the Gamusharaion part, a daredevil is usually depicted in action, not lying around.

.......honestly, I like their translation for Zyuohger's ED :D

If anything, my only real issues with O-T's translation are in their KR Ghost sub:

1. When they changed Benkei and Himiko Eyecon's phrase for seemingly no reason, even though the one they first used is already good. You can compare the one in "next episode preview" prior to Benkei and Himiko's debut, and the one when the episode actually aired - they're different.

2. Also, their translation for Ore, Specter, and Necrom Eyecon's phrases inside Ghost Driver has no rhyme whatsoever, when those phrases are supposed to rhyme as well. And they translate "kakugo" into 2 different things too. If it's for the rhyme I can understand, but it wasn't a rhyme at all.
    Personally I would loosely translate the "kakugo" part on all 3 Eyecons into just 1 thing, something that also ends with "go". Like "Time to go", for example.

3. And then there are ones that could have been loosely translated better if they gave more thought to it.
    Robin Hood : "Hello, Arrow, Follow us to the woods!"
    Newton: "The apple is falling, the gravity is pulling!"
    Ryoma: "Rising Up, Japan! A new day is coming!

Kinda funny, I never have any problem with O-T's translation before Ghost.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  8. Actar

Actar Otaku University Student

There's a fine line between translating and script-writing and I feel that OT leans a bit too close to the latter to the point of putting things into the translation that was never there to begin with. No matter how imaginative, clever or witty it is, it just doesn't sit right with me.

9. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

Unless O-T explained it themselves, all I can do is take a best guess for this translation choice...

If the song is trying to make a pun or use some clever word play that doesn't really translate well, then why not replace it for a similar one that does? I've seen fansubbers do this lots of times. It might not be the same joke, but it will at least be a joke you can understand and triggers the same intended response. And these days, the ED theme is usually a silly bookend. An afterthought at best. Maybe their translation choice was meant to reflect this?

As for that translation choice in the OP theme, my only guess is that they thought it sounded a bit more natural. People often say you see hope reflected in people's faces, not so much their eyes. Unless hitomi is one of those words that has two means, kind of like how Hoshi can mean either Star or Planet.

Either way, even if you disagree with certain translation choices, I'm glad Over-Time releases softsubs that can be edited. I've stopped supporting fansub groups like TV-Nihon because I have a HUGE number of grievances with them, but I could forgive nearly all of it if they'd just give everyone a softsub option. If other groups can do it in confidence, then they really have no reason not to do it themselves.

10. kuroihikari

kuroihikari Member

1. Not feeling tired means that you can still do more fun stuff. Ergo, you're still not "Tiga'd".
    2. Gamushara means restless/daredevil. I.E. You can't lie around.
    3. In English, light typically shines on your face, and light shines through your eyes. The lyrics meant the former, so I think that's what they used.

11. SquidKing

SquidKing Member

Pretty sure everyone understood their English meanings Kuroi.

12. kuroihikari

kuroihikari Member

I thought so, too, but that doesn't explain why the OP exists.