Gundam Wing

Discussion in 'Super GeekStation Climax: THE STARCADE' started by Bad Wolf, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Skreeong!

alright just finished this awesome series....again, and I have a question.

in endless waltz, why did the Gundams look so different?

otherwise, what are your thoughts about this series?

2. Shurikenger

Shurikenger Member

Not sure about why the Gundams looked different in EW, but as for my thoughts on the series...

Gundam Wing is very interesting. Though some people may not think it has a plot, but it does have one. Most, if not all the characters you grow to like, and perhaps admire (For me, I like a lot of characters except for Dorothy Catalonia and most of the baddies of EW,), and there are quite a few characters that I enjoy liking. I own the Complete Song Collection, as well as the Endless Waltz Special Edition DVD.

Here are my thoughts on the five pilots on the series.

Heero: Lacking in the social department as well as having a tendency to be EXTREMELY suicidal, Heero is what you'd call a 'perfect soldier'. He starts out being cold, but by the end of the series, and during EW, he's got a heart.

Duo Maxwell: My favorite out of the 5 Wing Gundam Pilots. He's smart, snazzy, very witty, and although not as suicidal as Heero, he is dedicated to his mission and also is seriously dedicated to his comrades.

Trowa Barton: Another 'perfect soldier', extremely acrobatic, not much is known about his past, (unless if you've read the mangas, according to what I've heard), but unlike Heero, he's also perfectly capable of showing emotion.

Quatre Winner: Arguably the 'sweet like honey' of the group, but don't let that fool you. He's got the heart of a warrior. And let's just say that Quatre when he got mentally screwed and built Wing ZERO... Let's just say that that is one of the only few times any anime character has scared the living bejeebus out of me. I had nightmares of Quatre laughing evilly for WEEKS.

Chang Wufei: Extremely focused on doing the right thing, and if you had to look up justice on the anime encyclopedia... Well, let's just say that I don't exactly agree with him before and during his bout in EW.

3. Chronotia Archzenom

Chronotia Archzenom Member

Remodelled my friend. That is the most probable answer.

The series is awesome. Probably the best Gundam Team ever made until OO/00 was made.

4. Kain

Kain Lurker

Well my opinion to put it plainly is Gundam Wing is garbage, pure reeking, repulsive decaying garbage.

The characters are unlikable hypocrites that preach about peace before going to blow stuff up, the fights are more like cool pose contests, the Gundams are ridiculously overpowered which only suffer damage if the plot demands it, for some reason when they get in grunt suits the usually easily destroyed cannon fodder becomes invincible.Not to mention the whole series iis just so damn boring.

I like 00, but comparing this to 00 is an insult to 00.

Here is some advice go watch Zeta Gundam, now thats a real Gundam series!

5. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

My understanding for the redesigns in Endless Waltz is that the Gundam designs used in the W TV series weren't really the designs that the director wanted. He was simply forced by budget constraints to use Gundam designs that would be easy to animate on a TV budget.

For Endless Waltz, they had a very high budget thanks to the show's popularity with fans (and internationally). So the director was able to hire Hajime Katoki (I believe) to design the Gundams so that they were closer to his original vision of how they should look and move.

6. Matrix

Matrix Matrix of Leadership

Gundam WIng rocked, end of story.

And they just re did the Gundams for the movie, to look better thats all.

7. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Skreeong!

yeah, it creeped me out too *shivers*
    yeah, plus the dub is made of win.
    i heard most of the newer series sucked, but i'll give it a shot.
    ah, i see, thanks for the info.:thumbs:
    pretty much :buttrock:, all the way.

8. Chronotia Archzenom

Sorry Kain-san.

True! Gundam Wing's battles are so awesomely done, but somehow overdone.

And hearing the voices of Amuro Ray(Mobile Suit Gundam)/Quattre Raberba Winner(Gundam Wing), Kai Shiden(Mobile Suit Gundam)/Shani Andras(Gundam Seed), Athrun Zala (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny)and a non-Gundam pilot Kyousuke Tsuda (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time) are fighting together as one mind blowing team of Gundam Meisters?= EPIC WIN TO THE OVER 9000 man!

Add Seed and Seed Destiny VAs as well:
    Lacus Clyne's (Chantal Strand as Feldt Grace) alongside Stella Loussier's (Lalainia Lindbjerg as Anew Returner), Yzak Joule's (Michael Adamthwaithe as the Narrator and Ribbons Almark) an lots, lots, lots more into the party=WOW! This is one of the best dubbed animes in all of history.

Now back to the topic, one of the things that I also love in this show is the Buster Rifle attack of Gundam Wing and Wing Zero/Zero Custom. I personally think that this is one of the best BEAM SPAM of them all, considering that it can take out a large number of foes in one solid hit.

Then the Tallgeeses I, II and III (particularly the 3rd) are so cool as well despite non-Gundams. I love how they are built and how awesome are their pilots. Zechs Marquise/Milliardo Peacecraft= one of the epic villains in the history of Gundam and reminds me a lot of the infamous RED COMET, Char Aznable.

9. Sentaifan'07 Xman

Sentaifan'07 Xman "Let's DRIVING!!!!!"

The time when Quatre was laughing evily and piloted Wing Zero happened he saw his father being killed by OZ and losing his oldest sister at the same time.

So yeah, that part was cool.

Gundam Wing will always have a place in my heart.

"Kanzen ANIME!"

10. psychonerv

psychonerv Member

Gundam wing will always have a spot on my faves since it was my first gundam series.

As for the redesigns, check out mahq.net and look for the designs hajime katoki made for the series (not the ova), the Master grade Gunpla of wing gundam ver. ka is part of the designs katoki made for the series. I personally like katoki's designs.

11. ryuuseipro

ryuuseipro New Member

Home Page:
    The best thing about Gundam Wing, IMHO, is the mecha, some of the neatest in the series. I mean, I still have the models of them (especially the 1/100 Wing Gundam)!

As for the rest of the series, it just never grabbed me. Too ultra-preachy, and made to appeal more to the bishi crowd (the first Gundam to do so).

12. Ragna "D" BloodEdge

Ragna "D" BloodEdge By the Power of Gaia!!!

GW was my first Gundam series, so it has a special place in my heart. I enjoyed it immensely. I also have to give Enuka Okuma special mention for her work as Lady Une in the US dub.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  13. Keith Justice

Keith Justice Eat My Justice!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIa7bQfxiMQ[/ame]

God, I remember when this was on Toonami. The finale was an event! Like, we were all there standing up and cheering.

Heero versus.................. uh...... umm..... that one dude was one of the best fights I'd seen! :D

14. Ragna "D" BloodEdge

Zechs Merquise, Keith.

I was kinda bummed that he lost Epyon in the last ep, but Tallgeese III was badass.

[​IMG]

15. Blue Saint

Blue Saint Member

That may have been the official line and partially true, but it came down to just needing different suits to sell new gunpla. Which they really needed after Gundam X sank. Katoki was chosen since was a darling in the fan continuity especially after the Master Grade line came out, if they wanted him to design the upgrades for the show they would seeing how he was already on staff. Plus it makes no sense when you stack his body of work against the redesigns. Katoki made his career off designs that had a more realistic and military bent so saying he was your first choice for an angel winged super robot makes no sense. But then again I could totally be off base.

16. Chronotia Archzenom

I've got to admit that Lady Une's American VA really did well with her. I've got to say, the way she did the role really is mind blowing for the emphasis that she made in critical lines of the show that must be uttered perfectly.

Yup! Same here Keith. Back then when it was about to be aired on Cartoon Network Philippines I was like "What? Gundams on Cartoon Network? This is awesome!". To be honest, this is the very first Gundam ever aired here in my country in English for every Gundam that enters the country gets dubbed into Filipino (mistakenly called Tagalog) such as G Gundam. All of them were broadcasted on GMA7 wherein their dubs are still awesome as opposed to today's dubs which sucked alongside their broadcasting as opposed to Cartoon Network which airs all of the episodes in full. Back then, Cartoon Network Philippines used to air very few animes like Zoids: Chaotic Century (and it's direct sequel, Guardian Force and the other sequels), Beyblade S1, Crush Gear Turbo, Medabots and a few more until they started to increase it's number before Toonami became "Tokunami" for solely broadcasting Tokusatsus in place of anime.

From the first episode to the last, I watched them all and also with the Endless Waltz Saga. EW made me applaud so much for having one of the best Gundam designs in history.

Yup! Tallgeese III is one of those epic non-Gundam mobile suits ever made. It's like Wing Zero and Epyon combined and not to mention the Char Anzable of the show is its pilot.

17. MMPR

MMPR Read my smart post

Gundam Wing rocked, my second favourite Gundam season. First is 00 of course :D

18. Keith Justice

Keith Justice Eat My Justice!

The Epyon... I loved that name! :D

19. Ragna "D" BloodEdge

The Heat Rod was the only piece from it to make it over onto the Tallgeese III.

20. MrMonk

MrMonk Member

The Endless Waltz Gundams are visual retcons. The idea being that they always looked that way in continuity. Like putting Hayden Christiansen in Return of the Jedi at the end.