Gundam 00: The Movie

Discussion in 'Super GeekStation Climax: THE STARCADE' started by Reimon, Oct 30, 2009.

1. dchoc

dchoc All your FACES are belongs to ME!!!

From what I remember (I might be wrong), that's the original Ribbons Almark. ;)

2. Blue Saint

Blue Saint Member

Personally though the part that suffered the most were the mechanical designs. S1 had some rather inspired designs (for a Gundam series) that were just amazing, the Flag in particular. Then there were the repeating design elements for the GN mobile suits that really gave the concept some grounding, despite the absurd nature of it. Then came the Ahead, which is one of the ugliest suit designs I have ever seen. Even worse it threw away all the GN suit design elements opting to instead to adopt for a weird generic misshapen brick design which carried over to the Gundams. Worse yet was the Masurao/Susanowo which turned the Flag into cluttered monstrosity coupled with such bad basic frame that even stripped down it still looks horrible.

3. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

This also goes back to the production committee telling them to change things!

S1 did have really great mechanical designs, but their linecount was so high that they couldn't really move very much on a TV budget. Seriously, go back to your favorite S1 fight, turn the sound all the way off, and watch only the footage of the mecha very closely. You'll see that in most fights, robots sometimes move as little as once or twice a minute!

Otherwise the team uses a lot of distractions like cut-aways to the pilots, digital animation effects (which are done by a different animation team), sound effects, and digital panning tricks to try and keep you from noticing that the robots are standing or being dragged around the frame in most fights. (The dragging is most obvious with Kyrios's jet mode.)

These fights were still very well-directed and techniques like this aren't new to Gundam at all. Gundam Wing was directed in a very similar style, trading movement for what was at the time eye-poppingly high linecount. But since Sunrise hyped up the HD animation, Japanese fans who noticed the stiff mechanical animation went on forums and complained.

The production committee decided that all of the creative S1 designs with their high HD-friendly line-counts were to blame! Sunrise formally asked that the S2 designs be changed completely to use lower linecounts so there could be more fluid mechanical animation in action scenes. The team really had no choice but to cook up the mecha designs we know from S2.

If you look closely at the S1 and S2 designs, you'll see that the linecount for the S2 mecha has dropped (in some cases dramatically). S2's fights are substantially more fluid than S1's, but only because the robots have been made much simpler and more generic (and therefore easier to draw). The fights aren't any better for this, nor is the story.

Mr. Bushido appears to be the production team's way of making fun of the production committee's insistence on changing the story to include more superficially popular elements. Mr. Bushido is like a database entry of popular mecha show character traits, but fans who liked Graham generally hated everything about his abrupt change into Mr. Bushido.

Yet the production committee obviously approved the change, probably looking at the popularity of characters like Sanger Sonvolt and assuming that viewers would love it simply because it incorporated popular character elements. I feel like the entire point of Mr. Bushido is to say, "Look, if you just put things into a show for no reason, it's stupid and unlikable."

4. Reimon

Reimon レイモン (雷蒙)

Really? He looks different from Season 1 & 2.

5. wildwolf

wildwolf Member

While Harute is designed primarily as a zero-gravity fighter in contrast to Kyrios and Arios, it can still operate within a planetary atmosphere. Although it seems to be less aerodynamic than its predecessors, it can achieve far greater speeds and maneuverability especially with the Marute Mode activated.

6. StriderXXX

StriderXXX Banned

that could probably be why too...

7. StriderXXX

StriderXXX Banned

Gundam 00 rocks because it was based on our timeline...:buttrock:

8. Reimon

Reimon レイモン (雷蒙)

That's why Setsuna was telling the ELS that he doesn't want to fight with them.

9. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

And so accurately researched that Celestial Being took credit for disbanding terrorist groups that hadn't operated since the 1990s!

10. StriderXXX

StriderXXX Banned

over a year of waiting for the movie and all setsuna does is lie dead on the bed...:rofl:

:supersayin:

11. Reimon

Reimon レイモン (雷蒙)

The brainwaves he has as the Innovator kind of affecting him.

12. StriderXXX

StriderXXX Banned

another poor excuse by the director when the main character is action-less for most of the movie.

13. Reimon

Reimon レイモン (雷蒙)

Yeah, true that.

14. Jeffry2010

Jeffry2010 Member

Continued from last post

1. Why should we have to wait till 1 hour 30 minutes to see QAN-T in action? Your 00 Raiser wasn't good enough to stop the ELS where it can Shape-shifting, Setsuna. Even Zabanya, Harute & Raphael does nothing.

It appears that QAN[T] appearance only takes about 13 minutes in 43 seconds including the 1st part. I am dead serious, guys.

2. Since when this movie turns out to be Michael Bay's Transformer movie? I mean ELS can Shape-Shifting anything! It's kinda like ALL-SPARK!

3. Seriously, imagined that they'll be more like this 50 years later:

[​IMG]

Lyle & Sumeragi 50 years later. Taken from Gundam 00 Final Mission book.

4. That's E.A. Ray. A name it's like a reference of Amuro Ray from 1st Gundam. And more like Ribbons Almack's lovechild.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  15. StriderXXX

StriderXXX Banned

gundams blowing shit up michael bay style is not a bad idea...better to kick ass than lie dead like Setsuna...

Lockon Stratos was blowing shit up Michael Bay style in the movie at the end...:buttrock:

[HIDE][​IMG][/HIDE]

16. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

I imagine the only reason why the QAN[T] was in the movie at all was probably the Gundam Group pressuring the production team to design a new set of Gundams and mecha for the movie.

The other alternative would be using the 00S2 designs, which didn't move a lot of merchandise and which nobody really liked. The QAN[T]'s limited screen time is completely just the production team trolling the fans and the toy guys. (Which... happens all the time in Gundam, really.)

17. StriderXXX

StriderXXX Banned

the best scene in the movie was after the credits where setsuna meets the old miriana...

18. Reimon

Reimon レイモン (雷蒙)

I guess Setsuna choose Marina rather Feldt.

19. StaticShin27

StaticShin27 Brave Sound~

Does the final upgrade always have to involve bits? It's what bothered Zabanya but with the situation it wouldn't have made much sense to have a sniper on the field.
    (I also got tired of Setsuna being all 'idk')
    Another thing thing is how it reminded me of a comment someone made with the recent Star Wars trilogy on how a lot of the space battles had to do with 'filling up the screen with as much crap as you can'. I don't hate the movie but those are my complaints, admit it helped me decide what kits to buy. I loved Graham's new flag and especially the Soul Braves team.

20. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

It does when your mechanical designers are phoning it in a little. Whenever the alt-Gundams* include remote weapons, they clearly aren't entirely sure what they plan to do with them besides show off how much they own everything.

Compare that to the way remote weapons are treated in, say, the Zeta movies or Unicorn Gundam, where they're just part of the setting. You get really distinctive fight choreography with them and not just "and then everything dies!"

*I'll give Gundam X an exception here. Gundam X actually had some really interesting ideas for the logical end of UC-style remote weapon technology.