GoGoV 20th Anniversary Teased

Discussion in 'The ORB - News & Rumors' started by Toku Prime, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

lol That describes Go-Onger in a nutshell though. That entire show was just bad and yet, it still isn't the worst series from the franchise. That's what's even worse.

PowerPhantom245 likes this.
  2. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

Dekaranger cast frequently talked about wanting a reunion, so they probably wanted to do it. In fact they wanted it so much, they apperently can't get enough of being back together, so we have things like Space Squad.
    With Go-Onger cast... well, lack of Saki in the group transformation really tells me everything (they couldn't even include her digitally?). I bet most of Go-Onger crew probably wanted to be back though.

Not really. The only offensivly bad Sentai shows are Kyoryuger and Kyuranger. I dislike a lot of shows, but most of them aren't really bad enough to be awful (and in context of Go-Onger, Go-On 10YA iS awful).
    Go-Onger is just a giant pile of nothing with some okay episodes here and there (mostly in the second half). You get the picture of what show is going to be rather early on and it's not ambitious enough to be awful. I'll probably never watch it in its entirity again, but it has mostly likeable characters and there are some episodes I can watch as mindless entertaiment at least, if I have to. Which is more than I can say for sleep-inducing series like Go-Busters, which, aside from Jin and Enter, had a pretty dull cast and maybe 3-5 episodes worth watching in total.

Hangyakuno likes this.
  3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

There's only 2 episodes of Go-Onger I can say really didn't piss me off, but they were still terrible in the long run. The villains do absolutely nothing the entire show. You could pretty much skip half of the show and miss nothing.

I also hated how they retconned Black's detective backstory halfway through the show so they could turn it into a bunch of gag jokes. Such a damn insult.

4. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

That did disappoint me as well, but Black hasn't been anything but a joke since at least episode 3 or so. You can't really ruin character, if there is no actual character to be ruined.

I'm not arguing that show is good, but it's not bad enough to be awful either. Go-Onger is a comedy series. Not a particulary good one (I do find that cast interactions are actually pretty fun, even if they don't always salvage actual episodes), but it doesn't go beyond what it tries to do. It's not like it started as some big epic, only to be reduced to a joke. It's show that exits for gags only. It's stale and unamibitious, but at least show's honest about it. First few episodes tell you everything there is about Go-Onger. It's shallow, but harnless "take it or leave" type of series. There is no potential to be squanedred. No hype to be killed. And at least there is no "pretend to have a plot, but it's a "collect all farting toys" journey instead!" plot here.

5. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

True. They probably figured there would be no way they could top Gekiranger in story telling so why bother trying?

6. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

Most sentai entries are better than Gekiranger simply based on the fact they don't act like the sentai that began ratings declines the franchise never recovered from.

7. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

Didn't Boukenger begin decline though?

8. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

It's not so much the direction as the severity. Ratings from around that time period:

Gao - 8.8
    Hurri - 7.5
    Aba - 7.1
    Deka - 7.1
    Magi - 7.7
    Bouken - 6.7
    Geki - 5.2
    Go-On - 5.1

I started from Gaoranger as it's the highest rated Heisei-era Sentai. There was an upward blip with Magiranger but otherwise the trend was already downward before Gekiranger came around. It's just that Bouken to Geki was a biiig drop!

Ratings have generally declined since then (only two seasons have increased their average rating from the season before) but there still hasn't been such a big drop in a single year.

It might also be telling to look at the sales figures for the same period:

Gao - 11
    Hurri - 13.1
    Aba - 13
    Deka - 11.6
    Magi - 10.8
    Bouken - 10.1
    Geki - 7.7
    Go-On - 12

I believe only one season since Gekiranger has made less money (LuPat). But Sentai rebounded really well with Go-Onger's 12 billion in sales, which only two seasons since (Gokaiger and Kyoryuger) have surpassed. Which is probably what they're trying to do again by bringing in those always big-selling dinosaurs.

Gekiranger was a double-whammy of a big drop in both ratings and sales, so that's probably why the powers-that-be have declined to do anything similar.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

What does ratings have to do with anything? Gekiranger is the only show in the last decade that actually broke the Sentai mold and did something different. Not to mention the villains were actually characters instead of just being wallpaper because the heroes needed to fight something.

10. Shougo B'Stard

Shougo B'Stard Would like to change his avatar

Home Page:
    Sure enough, Toei's just announced the series is being re-released to DVD in two separate chunks. Highlights from this event will be a bonus disc on the first set. Guests Shinichi Ishihara, Yuko Miyamura and Mike Maki will also appear at the event.

11. PowerPhantom245

PowerPhantom245 Lurker

AWESOME!

12. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

DVD? o_O How about Blu-Ray? The show could seriously use a remaster.

13. Shougo B'Stard

Home Page:
    Suit actors Seiji Takaiwa (Go Red), Yasuhiro Takeuchi (Go Green), Yuuichi Hachisuka (Go Yellow) and Motokuni Nakagawa (Go Pink) have been added as guests for the event.

14. PowerPhantom245

PowerPhantom245 Lurker

No Hideaki Kusaka (Go Blue)?

15. Shougo B'Stard

Home Page:
    He's not listed. Since he's newly retired, maybe he's just taking it easy?

16. PowerPhantom245

PowerPhantom245 Lurker

That's a shame.
    I would have like to see 5 actors with corresponding suit actors.