Drive & Gaim - Movie Wars Full Throttle

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by Kamen Rider IXA, May 16, 2015.

1. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

Just watched the Gaim Part and Movie War (will watch Drive part later).

Gaim's Part is pretty terrible. It's boring, it doesn't do anything with characters, doesn't develop them, writing, dialogues and pacing are just awful (Ryuoma is like in just two scenes). Movie is boring and just all over the place.

Movie Part is kinda better. Dialogues are improved. Typical big, final battle. Nothing really spectacular, but it still WAY better than Gaim Part.

P.S Writing is so bad that they couldn't even have a place for Kaito in it. He's only in Movie War part.

2. Ryuutaros

Ryuutaros "Training."

I sort of liked the Gaim part. Takatora and Micchy reflected on their past mistakes and they were given a chance to redeem themselves.

3. Solari

Solari New Member

Megahex's voice actor is Miki Shinichiro; he voices the genesis driver and related items in gaim, and he was also the voice of Sieg in Den-O's movie

The gaim part basically features the Kureshima brothers, while the drive part has the police and special cases department going after a phantom thief called 'Ultimate Lupin'. Then after Drive fights with Lupin, it leads into the Movie War part.

Some of the interactions between Gaim and Drive are really hilarious. I had to pause the video several times to give into laughter.
    "To put it simply, I'm a space god."
    "A god? I don't really get it, but you definitely seem like a good guy"

Trying to get into the car
    "Ah, it's no good. Gaim, let's go back to our usual forms"

In the car
    "Kami-sama, your seatbelt"
    "All right, let's go Drive! ... eh, seatbelt? Right...hm? There's no seatbelt?"
    "You don't even know that, kami-sama? ..for goodness' sake"

4. Thunder025

Thunder025 Member

I think the COMPLETE opposite as you. You probably need some subtitles there.

Gaim's part was amazing, was a way better closing than the actual final episode. Mitchy and Takatora shined really bright in a world without Kouta and the Megahex is a very dangerous foe, maybe one of the best Rider villains of late, the menace felt real and I like the parallels made with the Helheim invasion.

Drive's part on the other hand just slows down the movie with a generic story that has no impact on... well... anything.

PS: You probably need some subtitles to properly understand that there is no point in adding Kaito in Gaim's part since Gaim is not the main character.

5. Ryuutaros

Ryuutaros "Training."

I kinda liked that. The universe was giving the brothers another chance to do whats right. They reflected on their past mistakes and made different, better choices this time around.

6. Solari

Solari New Member

Yeah, I really like that part too. The main characters for the gaim portion were the Kureshima brothers, and how they have changed & grown since the last episode of Gaim.
    Ryoma was brought in to provide a source of conflict for Takatora and to show how Takatora has moved on.
    There wasn't any need for Kaito to show up at this part.
    The fight with Megahex shows the bond between the brothers, Takatora trusting Micchi to do the right thing and Micchi's faith in Takatora.

7. Timeline15

Timeline15 New Member

I thought it was great. Perhaps my favourite movie wars so far.
    Gaim's part was great closure to the character arcs of Kouta, Micchi, and Takatora, and megahex felt like a great villain. Kouta and Mai being persuaded to stay at the end was everything I wanted out of the end of Gaim, someone finally chewing Kouta out for disappearing without saying goodbye, twice. XD
    Drive's part as less important, but was still very cool, and as some really great action. Seeing drive and chaser team up was awesome. Didn't like belt's magical resurrection though.
    They really went all-out on the special effects this time. While the cgi wasn't nearly good enough to pull most of it off, there were still some very cool sequences that would never be possible in the main shows.
    In most movie wars,only the returning rider gets a good part. I think that this one successfully gave a great story to both.

8. Xtreme RX

Xtreme RX Member

It was a good movie. Action was solid and delivered on all fronts. Gaim's part was probably the best self-contained Movie Wars story yet. Drive part leaves a lot to be desired, but was still fun and consistent with the continuity of the show.

Overall, good stuff!

9. Byg4299

Byg4299 Member

Has anyone made a sub for this movie yet. The raw has already been out for a month. Shouldn't Overtime or Tv-nihon gotten one out by now.

10. Byg4299

Byg4299 Member

11. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

Will wait for the TV-Nihon version.

12. TheNoMoreHero

TheNoMoreHero Lurker

My rank for the Movie Wars
    1. Megamax (OOO & Fourze)
    2. Full Throttle (Gaim & Drive)
    3. Ultimatum (Fourze & Wizard)
    4. Fateful Sengoku (Wizard & Gaim)
    5. Core (W & OOO)
    6. 2010 (Decade & W)

Gaim's segment is honestly the best part of the whole movie, and also the best epilogue segment of all the Movie Wars past rider segments (Wizard's being the worst). And Drive's was good, not great but Lupin was definitely done a lot better than I thought he was gonna be portrayed and although SIU was still pretty annoying. Meanwhile, the action was surprisingly good, not Koichi Sakamoto good, but good nonetheless. The live action fights are better than typical non-Koichi Sakamoto live action fights and it's nice to see them attempting at it. Overall, Full Throttle was a good Movie War where even the weaker parts didn't drag it down too hard. But a big negative was how useless the movie exclusive forms were, which seems to be the trend following Fateful Sengoku. (Maybe useless isn't the right word, but only using them for one small scale battle that didn't finish the boss makes them really underwhelming.)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  13. Ryousha

Ryousha Member

This movie was absolutely fantastic.

The Gaim portion is really strong and solidly paced.

It focuses on the side characters, rather than Kouta.
    who gets killed by our movie villain.

The movie does so many things right that I'm honestly impressed. The fact that they decided to give the movie an actual budget is insane. Kouta and Mai's planet looks super gorgeous.

Also the majority of the final parts of the Gaim portion was filmed at dawn/night time and the fact that it looks pretty stunning in the final product means that there must've been a good portion of visual edits needed for matching the other footage.

This movie displays a true villain, that is literally capable of posing a threat. Megahex is probably hands down the strongest villain in all of the Movie Wars alone and that really shows. The writing is great and it shows Mitchy and Takatora both struggling and showing their new resolve compared to their old outlooks on how to save humanity.

The Drive part, while not as strong, is still pleasant to watch. The movie just shows that if Drive wasn't on a tight budget and schedule, that things like Slowdown(Heavy Acceleration/Donyori) can look convincing and amazing compared to what they usually show in the TV Show. The choreography is also well done too, it isn't stupid as in the TV show with the framerate dropping to like 8 to show "impacts" and to lengthen the fight.

Though, Krim's voice is a lot more soft, I wonder if the ADR he did was over phone in some kind of hotel or something haha.

Lupin shows that he's a capable foe to Drive and Mashin Chaser, managing to make his "Brake Gunner" to become even stronger than Chase and can also project Roidmudes clones and destroy the Roidmude cores too.

The crossover portion is also amazing. Lots of humor going on and the Movie forms are hilarious to look at. The CGI portion near the end is also great, it isn't as bad as FourzexWizard, and it looks like they spent a good amount of time polishing this film as best as they can. Props to the team that made the film possible.

It's just a shame that the ratings for this movie and sales were below sub-average most likely due to GaimxWizard sucking so bad and the fact that most people dropped the Kamen Rider series after Wizard/the beginning of Gaim.

14. Ryuutaros

Ryuutaros "Training."

Micchy and Takatora's growth as characters was definitely the highlight of the Gaim portion.

I got heaps of Detective Conan/Lupin the 3rd vibes in Drive's part? Especially near the end where Shinnosuke gathers all the suspects and does his deduction. I love it! Wish the show was more like that.

15. Byg4299

Byg4299 Member

Something I found interesting about this movie is how it's plot structure is more similar to Movie War 2010 than it is to Sengoku Movie Battle, Ultimatum, and Megamax in the sense that the final part of the movie has more to do with the previous riders part of the movie rather than the current riders part. In Sengoku Movie Battle, Ultimatum, and Megamax, this is the reverse.

May I ask out of curiosity how you find Movie War Core better than Movie War 2010 cause I personally think Core is the worst out of all the Movie Wars

16. Photon

Photon Shining~

How come no one mentioned the best part of this movie? MITCCHY FINALLY REMEMBERS KIWI EXIST :laugh:

Also, Ryoma and Takatora both shows amazing henshin in this movie.

And I love how Kouta goes back to his wacky self during the final "battle" in Megahex planet :anime:

Yeah, it kinda threw me off because he sounds a lot softer, instead of having the usual energetic voice.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  17. Solari

Solari New Member

I think that's because this movie was filmed really early on in Drive's run.

18. TheNoMoreHero

TheNoMoreHero Lurker

Huh, you're absolutely right, even I don't know why I ranked Core above 2010. I knew they were gonna be at the bottom and just threw them in. But yeah, 2010 is better because it had more memorable stories with Decade's final chapter and Begins Night.

Actually thinking about it, 2010 (other than the final battle, which wasn't that bad, and the fact that it was suppose to Decade's movie to tie up lose ends) was pretty good overall. I might have to rank it higher than the bottom 2.

19. raden238

raden238 Member

I just finished watching this Movie War. Overall it's better than Ultimatum and Core but not as good as Megamax.

I thought Gaim's portion was great. I liked the way the story focused on the Kureshima brothers. Seeing them fight together was great. The scene where Ryugen was in the Megahex vessel using the Budou Sparkling attack was cool and a very unique way to fight.

Drive portion started off slow but in the end it was good. The explanation for Lupin's powers was acceptable and the big culprit scene was fun. Finally the Movie War portion is where I have my usual problems. The unnecessary cgi end fight, the useless movie forms, and Drive's arch nemesis's helping out! I would of just left them out of the movie. But all the Movie Wars are based on a formula, so its never going to change. Its better than what I was expecting.

20. cosmos89

cosmos89 Lurker

Ok, maybe I missed out something. But how did an additional Sengoku Driver appear in Mitchy's bag?