[DISCUSSION] Ryusoulger, Episode 02

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by SamuraiEchidna, Mar 26, 2019.

1. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

[​IMG]
    Have at thee, knave!

Welcome to the discussion thread for Dinoknight Sentai Ryusoulger, episode 02; "Soul Is One".
    (Show's title and episode title translation may vary depending on your fansub group of choice.)
    This week: The three Ryusolgers look for their Kishiryu, Tyramigo, who disappeared after helping them in the previous battle. But first, they must face another monster sent by the Druidon.

This thread was made with Toku Prime's permission. And remember, this is a SPOILER ZONE! If you are trying to avoid spoilers, this is not the place for you.​

2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I don't know about you guys, but I found episode 2 to be very uninspiring. I was sitting there bored throughout most of the episode. In fact, you could it was Que BORING!

I also don't get why pink and blue did not summon their mechs. They had them last week. Why not this week?

I started to like the mech battle, but it went into gimmick hell way too quickly. It's like heaven forbid we actually see the first mech suit that isn't some giant ass random shapes piled on top of the suit actor and they barely do jack shit with that fact. He like threw some punches, a kick, and then started using the weapons that pretty much teetered into the CGI realm. In fact, that was the problem with this entire episode, it was nothing more than a gimmick fest. Oh, and did we really need ANOTHER fucking fart attack?

Then you have the worthless sack of shit father. God damn, at least Goku doesn't go out and ditch his children for two friggin years just because he's not the best fencer.

Everything about this episode sucked. I really hope green and black have some great personalities because I'm already wanting to drop this show, which I haven't done since ToQGer.

3. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

I rather enjoyed this episode from beginning to end!

I liked that neon outline effect at the beginning of the OP. I've seen stuff like that when I was kid, so it's nice to see it again. Maybe that's just me, but still, I liked it.

It's a little annoying to see this year's red acting like a clueless child. However, he did come from a tribe that's been disconnected from the modern world for a long time, so I guess I can give some of it a pass. And I'm always grateful for the second episode follow up of the origin story. First episodes like the one before always give such a big exposition dump while juggling a bunch of other things, it's hard to fully absorb the backstory the first time. This time, as expected, they slowed it down and explained it during a slow part of the episode. Which is exactly how it should be done.

However, what I really enjoyed is the footage of the Ryusoulgers fighting the giant Minusaur without the use of their Kishiryu's (Still can't decide if I like the translation Dinoknight or Knightosaur better). We never get enough of this. I know the point is that the giant mechs can get the job done, but it's still nice to see they can hold their own for a while even without the mechs. And I like how the main three still haven't reconnected with Black and Green. I hope the show continues to take it's time like this! And even when they do find their fellow Ryusoulgers, I hope it takes another episode before we see their Kishiryu's as well.

And I liked that bit of foreshadowing with Ui. It was a split second scene, but very effective.

After the final battle in the last episode, the Kishiryu became scattered and wouldn't respond to key summoning. That's kind of the whole point of this episode. They were trying to find them on foot. The Kishiryu, which seem to be living creatures, can get knocked out and stumble about into random places. That's why Tyramigo was found slumped over in a random park. Plus, if the first episode was something to go by, their village was attacked, meaning that the first three Kishiryu lost the temples they usually stay at.

But I will agree on one thing, it's getting a little overplayed seeing fart-based power ups.
    (I was going to argue that Goku is worse if you consider Dragon Ball GT, but then I remembered that Super pretty much made that show non-canon, thank kami-sama.)

4. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Honestly, I don't see how Super makes GT non-canon considering Super has screwed up its own continuity just as much as GT. Hell, by the time the events of GT come around, it is possible Pan would be 10 years old and Bra would somehow be 16. :p

Anyway, I don't remember them losing the three dinos at the end of the first episode. Last shot I recall is them standing in front of the dinos after transforming and then the end credits came up. This episode starts and they say Tyraamigo ran off, but they didn't say anything about the other two.

5. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

He didn't ditch anyone. He's just been working away from home, essentially. Parents go away from their families for work all the time. It's not the same as leaving one day and never coming back.

SamuraiEchidna likes this.
  6. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

The first part of the show was really weird. Explaining to the rangers what the Druidons are etc. Haven't these guys been training for this their entire lives? Why don't they know that already? Isn't the reason for having Alfred E. Neuman Ui and her dad in the show so that you have someone to explain this stuff too?

Someone I follow on twitter had speculated that the last episode of the Strongest Battle special was an experiment to see if the kid audience would accept Sentai without the mecha battles, (normal-sized heroes vs giant monsters works just fine for PreCure, after all) and this episode felt like a continuation of that. Especially with these armour add-ons, which remind me of Fourze's modules. Maybe Bandai are thinking of changing up what toys get released as part of Sentai?
    One day Dr Kain will find a toku show that he actually likes, and the rest of the English-speaking fandom will fall off their chairs in surprise. :D
    Eh, the 24 minute toy commercial's gonna promote toys. The modular nature of the mecha is their gimmick for the year. IIRC the different arrangements we saw in this episode are some of the suggested ones in the instructions.

7. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

^ Aw, come on, the "just a toy commercial" line is so dismissive of the genre. George Lucas doesn't dismiss (his words) "12 year-old boys' fantasy" Star Wars as much as some toku fans write off shows.

There's plenty of stuff Kain likes, but his taste can sometimes be plain terrible. >.>

8. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

I don't really see the point in judging someone's taste. It's not like there is some objective standard to which everyone should measure up. There are things that form you taste and preferences, sometimes vastly different from each other.
    Experience of watching your first Sentai can also be a lot different from watching your 20th or 40th, and I've yet to see a person who loves all Sentai equally. Not to mention, plenty of people find many modern toku shows lackluster for various reasons, so what's wrong with voicing them?
    I don't think "toy commercials" is a good excuse either. Did anyone start watching toku, because he/she enjoyed genre from "it makes me want to buy toys" perspective?

9. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

While my previous comment was a gag based on the Doc's infamy, it was intended merely as that and not as any kind of shade towards him. My apologies to Kain and all else if it seemed that way. That was not what I intended to convey.
    Come on, if I thought toku was "just" that then I wouldn't still be watching after nine years lol. :D The initial episodes of a Sentai series show off their "equipment". It's been that way for years now. I was simply trying to point out that Ryusoulger is acting no different in that regard.

10. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

It's all good. I really wish there was something recent I could say I absolutely loved from start to finish. Lately it's been a really strong start leading to a pitiful end (LupinvsPat, Build., Garo S4), a crap start that ends up getting better a long the way only to drop the ball in the end (Geed), to utter shit (Kyuu, Nin, Ghost, Zio).

I think Ultraman Orb was the last time I watched a Toku show that impressed me all of the way through from start to finish. Well, unless you count Tokusatsu GaGaGa because oh my god, that show was fucking awesome! The best Toku related show to come out in a decade.

Anyway, you're right that other series always spend their time showing off the gimmick in the first few episodes. I have no problem with that, just don't bore me.

11. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

As far as I can tell from my casual observations, the majority of the Dragon Ball community has agreed, for various reasons, that Super makes GT non-canon. Beerus and Wis don't appear in GT, and none of the Saiyans use their God forms to defeat their enemies (and as far as I know, Super hasn't explained how GT would still fit in the canon despite all these factors). But besides in-show reasons, GT is not part of Akira Toriyama's vision. It wasn't adapted from a manga or anything; it was just an idea made by the anime production staff. Toriyama might have helped with some elements, but it's not the show he wanted to make. Super is.

It might be dismissive, but there's always a ring of truth to it. Sometimes an orange is just an orange. And while a show may grow to be something more (given time and genuine passion from the creative staff), that doesn't change the fact that the show itself and the merch is being aimed primarily at a younger audience. And besides, no one here is putting the show (or its audience) down for being a kids show/toy commercial. Sometimes show makers will make weird decisions for the sake of selling toys. Pointing out the obvious doesn't automatically make it a negative.

(Seriously, are we still having these kinds of conversations after all these years? Dead horse, meet beating stick.)

I'll agree with you on Tokusatsu GaGaGa, but I honestly think you gave up on Zi-O way too easily. :p But to each their own.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  12. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

What I mean is that Super has already contradicted as much of the continuity as GT did. Pan and Bra are the wrong ages in both iterations, neither had a manga from Toriyama, and the animation sucks in both. Super is just as boring as GT at times too. Lastly, there is nothing in Super that straight up says GT can't happen. Sure, as you said, Whis and Beerus don't show up, but it could just be that they are doing something else at that point. They are a god and angel, after all, they do have other duties to tend to than just eat Earth food.

From what I hear, I made the right decision to drop Zi-O early on as it hasn't gotten better. Plus, the main character still thinks he is the hottest shit out there.

13. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

But you'll miss the Ryuki Rider Time special! That alone makes me want to stick with Zi-O (which I haven't watched past the first episode, admittedly).

14. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I have no idea what that even is, but Ryuki ended back in 2003 as far as I am concerned.

15. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

Like I said, to each their own. It might depend on who you talked to. From where I stand, not only is Zi-O amazing, it's WAY better than Decade ever was. To me, Zi-O is the show we should have gotten back then. Of course, that's just me. ;)

As for the main character thinking he is hot shizzle... Do you mean Sougo? Is that a social media thing? Because in-show, he's pretty humble most of the time. He might have a childishly crafty side sometimes, and really only one episode painted him in a less-than-flattering light (and even then, it came out of nowhere). If anything, Geiz is the one full of himself, but that's just because he tends to go full-Terminator at times.

They're making a Ryuki special to promote Zi-O. It mainly focuses on the Ryuki cast, with some of the supporting characters recast for some reason. Not sure what the story is or how it fits with Zi-O's story, but this is not the place to discuss spoilers for it. Even Rica Matsumoto, singer of "Alive A Life", is coming back to sing a remix of that song for the special. They're also making a special for Kamen Rider Shinobi, and some other Riders too.

16. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

I'm watching Ryuki mini-series without catching up with Zi-O right now and it's perfectly watchable that way so far.

I think it may have to with how inconsistent early show has been with writing. I dropped Zi-O after 10 episodes, and Sougo was a different character in most of them. Sometimes he was smart and fast-thinking, sometimes he was confused and more of the usual MC dummy. He instantly knew what do in some situations, but not all of them. Show didn't give me a clear picture of who Sougo was, and actor not being all that good didn't help.

17. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Whomever Zi-O is. The dude was like Daigo in Kyoryuger in the fact that he knows he is the main character of the story and therefore was acting all, "I'm the most awesomess person you will ever meet because I can do anything I want as the show is going to write me getting everything I want."

I'm just so god damn bored of these mary sue characters Toei has been writing lately.

Another thing that ruined Zi-O for me was the 1.5 shit. If you can't actually write your show good enough to explain it in its 22 minute run time and have to resort to online videos to explain it, then it's simply not worth my time.

18. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

It's not even that they can't explain, because apperently Zi-O already abandoned Rule #2. So the whole reason behind it was NOT to make Zi-O team-up with past Riders and it didn't amount to anything in the end.
    It's like... wow. I honestly don't even know what to say.

19. Shougo B'Stard

Shougo B'Stard Would like to change his avatar

Home Page:
    My problem with Sougo in Zi-o is that the writers went about his whole thing in the stupidest way imaginable. This guy who you're supposed to worry about, who's on the path of becoming completely evil and destructive, shouldn't run around yelling "I want to be king!" What kind of dumb-ass writing is that? It just makes the character seem really, really stupid.

If you want to have a slightly more believable version of that, have him say he wants to be a leader. Well, that sounds realistic! That sounds do-able! And, what kind of leader -- community leader? Political? Oh, Great Leader?! (He could have been the Heisei version of a Great Leader. Don't do it as badly as Decade, which further made the mistake of actually trying to make Tsukasa THE Great Leader of Shocker.)

20. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

Everyone, can we please stay on topic? This is the discussion for Ryusoulger Episode 02.

I've all ready decided to step away from this conversation. Even though I either disagree with some people or have no idea where others are getting their information, it's better if I step away since I could be arguing against it for ages and never get anywhere.
    So far, thankfully, no one has said any major spoilers. Even so, there is a place for Zi-O discussions, and this is not the place. Let's be considerate, okay? :)