[DISCUSSION] Lupinranger VS Patranger, Episode 51 + FULL SERIES

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by SamuraiEchidna, Feb 8, 2019.

1. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

[​IMG]
    Cops & Robbers, rainbow version!

Welcome to the discussion thread for the TV series Kaitou Sentai Lupinranger VS Keisatsu Sentai Patranger.
    Please save conversations about any related movies or specials for a different thread.
    You may also talk about Episode 50 and the FINAL EPISODE here.

This thread was made with Toku Prime's permission. And remember, this is a SPOILER ZONE! If you are trying to avoid spoilers, this is not the place for you.​

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Good riddance to Zamigo, you will not be missed. One of the biggest wastes of Sentai potential in years. Imagine if Juuzo or Basco had been as lackluster as he was. Hell, even the pirate dude from Zyuohger had more development than Zamigo.

It's quite lame that defeating Zamigo returned everyone to normal and right where they were taken in the first place. It should have been that they are freed and now the rangers have to get them out of Dogranio's safe.

Well whatever, I will be quite pleased when this show ends this weekend. I don't understand how Toei could have such high possibilities with both this and Kyuuranger and still manage to fuck them both up in the end.

3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

4. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

Wow. Talk about an oopsie poopsles...

So apparently, this series has 51 episodes. I made this thread thinking that the show ended on 50. My bad! Totally jumped the gun on that one (no pun intended).
    But hey. Feel free to talk about both here, and the entire series. If I make episode discussions for Ryusoulger too, I'll do my best not to make that mistake again.

And regardless of how you feel about the show, that's still an accomplishment, right? How long has it been since a sentai has been 51 episodes long?

5. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I believe Gokaiger was the last 51 episode series.

Either way, god damn, episode 50 had a far more satisfying conclusion than the finale and even that was a let down.

I have never been so dumbfounded with a Sentai finale this badly. I've seen series have bad endings, but this, this may be the worst Sentai finale ever. It was Decade levels of bad. NOTHING was concluded. NOTHING was accomplished.

Toei clearly got scared to actually give the teams a true finale because then they wouldn't be able to use them repeatedly over the next decade.

Add on top the lack of any sort of development, the mcguffin God Mode form of Goodie Striker that lets him just free the rangers, and all of the other non-conclusive crap, and you have a terrible so called "finale." I feel like there is still going to be another episode.

6. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Massive shout out to those four lady customers looking at the news on a phone just after the one year jump, which was a completely random cameo appearance from the actresses who played Change Phoenix (Changeman), Yellow Mask (Maskman), the second Yellow Four (Bioman), and Pink Five (also Bioman).

I also have to say that using the book to de-power Dogranio was quite clever. Almost made up for last week where they announced that the Trigger Machines can lock safes despite not showing that in any of the previous 49 episodes (even when that would have been really handy).

I haven't seen the summer movie yet so Jackpot Striker was a bit out of the blue, though I guess it's pretty common for summer movie power-ups to appear later in the show.

I can't help think that story-wise it would have been cooler for them to have just ended with the trio of new phantom thieves making their debut transformation into Lupinrangers in hopes of retrieving the originals by completing the Collection. The originals can still come back in "...vs Kyuranger" or the probable crossover with Ryusoulger. Or heck, they've announced that Keiichiro is appearing in the upcoming four week special, so maybe have him be fighting for a way to free them?

7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

So where were they keeping that giant ass book stored on them in the first place?

Also, what was it that Kogure was planning Lupin Red into doing a while back when they had to go into their dreams to acquire one of the collection pieces? That was never answered.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  8. raden238

raden238 New Member

Another year, another Sentai in the history books!

Episode 51 Finale Episode Review:
    I haven't been paying attention to every last detail for the show, but when did Kogure give Kairi the collection book to hold onto? And where did Kairi store the dang thing when they were in trapped inside Dogranio's safe?

9. raden238

raden238 New Member

Where the the heck is the edit button? I accidentally pressed enter and now I can't change it!

Anyway, besides the whole ability of being able to transfer the collection pieces between dimensions thanks to the book, (nobody knew this beforehand, same for episode 50's trigger machine locking ability). We now have Jackpot Striker's magical powers that can also bring the Thieves back too?!!? I didn't watch the summer movie, so I had no idea of what Jackpot can do but this is such a cop out. Mind you the intended viewers of this show, the little kids wouldn't even know what the hell happened.

So besides have these out of nowhere convenient methods of defeating the Ganglers. Lets talk about everything else. I like that Dogranio wasn't killed but rather imprisoned. That's something different. There was no final mecha fight either, which was also refreshing. The ending with the Lupins still fighting the Pats was ridiculous though. Wasn't their mission to save their loved ones, mission complete, go home and enjoy life. Why continue with the collection? It doesn't make sense. Its not that good of a finale but I still enjoyed the series overall.

Series Review
    I enjoyed Lupinranger vs Patoranger. The idea of having two different sentai teams fighting throughout the entire series as a storyline was new, fresh and fun. Toei look a gamble and I enjoyed it. Much like Kyuranger, I feel like 90% of the show was fantastic but towards the end of the show near the finale arcs, it falls flat.

What was up with Kogure? Did Toei change plans with his character? He was so shady and mysterious at the beginning but in the end, he was just another supporting character? What a letdown, I was expecting a great twist with him! As already stated above, I didn't like the convenient mc guffins that happened in the last two episodes which saved the day, the pointless mandatory drag queen, dancing and clip show episodes.

Lupin vs Pat was solid. Characters were strong, villains are good, designs were good (vehicle mecha FTW). Toei tried something different after 40 years of cookie cutting shows. Like Kyuranger, they made drastic changes to the show and I enjoyed it.

10. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

Easily the best post-Gokaiger series.
    Characters and their dynamic were top-notch, both within and outside respective teams. Solid character development for most of the cast and even ones with less focus like Tsukasa had a lot of great character moments. Actors were great. Action was great. Most of episodes were fun and enjoyable.
    A few moments were lackluster, but overall series never bored me (unlike many recent ones).

11. scikaiju

scikaiju science experiment gone wrong

Home Page:
    The edit button is near the bottom of the screen, for some reason it's the same color as the white background. You have to click and drag to highlight in order to find it. There was a thread in the help section after the board changed explaining how to do what I tried to describe.

raden238 likes this.
  12. raden238

raden238 New Member

Thanks! I found it! No idea why it had to be camouflaged with the background. It's time for some website remodeling.

scikaiju likes this.
  13. scikaiju

scikaiju science experiment gone wrong

Home Page:
    No problem

14. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

Well, here we go.

Episode 50:
    For the most part, I liked it. Zamigo's finale battle was well savored, though as Dr Kain pointed out, it would have been nice to have some more battles like this during the earlier episodes. Still, you gotta admit, with a visible hole in his chest, Zamigo's defeat was pretty brutal... Perhaps the most brutal thing in the whole series!
    And wait, since when can Trigger Machines change the combinations of the safes?! Yeah, I understand why they didn't save that info until later. Dramatic reveal, and that ability is probably useless for the most part. But still, it would have been nice to see that ability JUST ONCE midway through the series. Maybe put in a filler episode so that people easily forget about it.

Episode 51:
    The finale was pretty awesome, honestly. We got to see the police changing things up by using the Dial Fighters. We got to see the Phantom Thieves making the ultimate gamble that put their lives on the line. And the most awesome thing of all... THEY DIDN'T DOWNGRADE THE FINAL BOSS! Super Sentai has a VERY bad habbit of saving the final enemy for last, making them look tough at the beginning and midway through the series, but then making them weaker because the heroes have come a long way or something. Here? Not the case! They had to teleport the Collection Pieces out of his chest to make that happen. Nice! I can even forgive things like Kairi/Lupin Red suddenly having his own book and Jackpot Striker suddenly having mind-control powers. We're wrapping things up. I actually cried a little bit during the sentimental moments, cheered during the happy moments, and overall enjoyed it. Does it save the series as a whole? No. But there are other things to be happy about.

As for Jackpot Striker, I don't know what happens in the movies, but read above. According to Over-Time's translation, Jackpot Striker can control a Gangler's mind as long as he is in their safe. So they transported Jackpot Striker into Dogranio via Kairi's book, and forced Dogranio to release the Lupin Rangers and Jackpot himself.

And the show answered your other question. By collecting all the pieces of the Lupin Collection, you can have a wish magically granted, maybe. So while the thieves really don't need to be rivals with the police anymore, it's important that they collect all the pieces, in case a remnant of the Ganglers (or someone just as dangerous) tries to make a wish instead. The ending makes... some sort of sense. It's flimsy logic, but logic none the less. I think the ending was mostly there to get one more group shot of the PatRangers and the LupinRangers together. (Personally, I think they should have tried to recreate the fight/robbery from the opening sequence.)

My thoughts on the series as a whole:
    At the beginning, I made some predictions about this show. As the series went on, more predictions were made. Many of these predictions were proven false, but some were proven true. Some people expected Kogure to be Dogranio in disguise, but that didn't happen. My biggest prediction was that the LupinRangers and PatRangers were going to discover they were always suppose to be part of 1 team instead of 2 divided teams; but I'm actually kind of glad that didn't happen. Props to Toei for sticking with their guns (no pun intended) and keeping them two different teams. It makes the ending completely fair to the fans that did pick a side (including the kids). Combining them both into one team would have made their "Whose side are you on?!" promotion of the series completely pointless. This way, both sides come out on top, because now it's a friendly rivalry instead of bitter enemies.

That being said, the series is still full of problems. A show centered around two Sentai teams facing off against each other? This should have been the series where Toei was willing to experiment, take chances, and do things that keep our attention every episode. Instead, for the vast majority, they just play it safe/repetitive. Many of the big villain characters left little impact on the show in the long run. Epic moments that the fans had been waiting for were saved for the last possible moment instead of happening sooner. And a lot of potential was completely wasted. I won't say it's the worst show; I've seen fans who enjoy it regardless. I just hope Toei really takes us by surprise with the next series.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to see a historian about some dinosaurs...

15. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

I don't know about anyone else, but each time teams united to form Good Cool Kaiser VSX from early 30s episodes or so, I was pretty hyped and episodes themselves didn't disappoint.

16. Hangyakuno

Hangyakuno Lurker

If Jackpot can control gangler's mind from inside their safe, actually it sound like he is perfect pair with Don and can be the true bad guy. Like Gangler have nothing to do with humanity until Lupin stole Collection from them. Gangler just attack humanity because the one who usually lead and control them isn't around.

17. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

The Ganglers were nothing more than one dimensional cardboard cut outs who attacked people because reasons. Toei should have had the rangers just fight air as it would have been a lot cheaper.

18. Shougo B'Stard

Shougo B'Stard Would like to change his avatar

Home Page:
    The real problem is Toei just not having guts. You know damn well this series had to have been pitched as "A Super Sentai where the villain group is another Super Sentai," but they didn't have the courage to stick with that.

19. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

I'm pretty sure it was pitched as "Lupin III Sentai" and neither Lupin nor Zenigata are bad guys in Lupin III.
    It was obvious from the start that neither team would be be bad or pictured as such, they just had troubles generating conflict between two naturally. I'd say show probably needed a bigger sense of threat from Collection (like it being dangerous for people to have or something) as well as a Wolzard/AbareKiller type of character for Ganglers.