[DISCUSSION] Kamen Rider Zi-O, Episode 29

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by SamuraiEchidna, Apr 7, 2019.

1. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

[​IMG]
    I wanted to play a trump card, but it just wasn't my time...

Welcome to the discussion thread for Kamen Rider Zi-O, episode 29; "Blade Joker!? 2019".
    (Episode title's translation may vary depending on your fansub group of choice.)
    This week: Though Sougo made peace with Geiz and Tsukuyomi, they have little time to celebrate as the appearance of Kamen Rider Diend and an Another Rider results in the reunion of two opposing Kamen Riders who parted ways after an epic battle between them fourteen years ago.

This thread was made with Toku Prime's permission. And remember, this is a SPOILER ZONE! If you are trying to avoid spoilers, this is not the place for you.​

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  2. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

Sorry for not posting this sooner. I got surprisingly busy this past week.

3. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

Wait, are we in flux time or not? o_O

For those who don't remember, when retrieving a new Rider Watch, there is often of moment where the timeline is in "flux". I call it flux time. It's where history is temporarily restored and Riders of old are given all their powers and memories back. And I'm not sure if that's what's going on right now, or if it's something else. Kenzaki and Hajime seem to know of each other's pasts, but if the past has been rewritten, then how do they still have their memories? How does adult Amane stil have photos from the time she was a little kid bonding with Hajime and the members of BOARD? Shouldn't all the Undead, including Hajime, be completely sealed? Either the writers have stopped caring, or we need to wait til the next episode to find out...

(EDIT: BTW, does anyone know if adult Amane is played by the original actor or not? For once, it really doesn't matter, but that'd be a lot of dedication to continuity if it was.)

For now, it's an interesting thing to think about. One could argue that the Undead were bound to rise anyways. You can change time, but you can't change what you are, and Hajime will always be a Joker Undead. It's possible the events from the Blade TV show are pretty much a "fixed point in time", as Doctor Who calls it. The events were always meant to happen. Little details here and there may have changed, but ultimately it was all bound to happen regardless... Thoughts? Anyone?

4. raden238

raden238 New Member

This was a great episode. I loved Diend's return, going back to this treasure hunting schemes. It was awesome seeing him summon the New Kamen Ride cards he got like Baron, Birth and Accel. The Blade vs Chalice fight was nostalgic and it seems like the series picking up where they left off from the original show. I have to tip my hat to Toei, for getting back all the original Blade cast for these tribute episodes. Sometimes they do care.

I have two different answers to this.

Answer #1 - It's been heavily theorized by fans that due to the birth of Another Zi-O, the time flux idea that the show established for the early tribute episodes have been negated. Meaning that any Another Riders that are born, are always spawned from the present year which is 2019. Which means that their memories and timelines have never changed. Thus all the events that are happening now is just a continuation of the Legend Rider's story. Blade vs Chalice Fated to Fight Forever.

Answer #2 - Every since the first quarter of the show has ended, the Another Rider aka MOTW seems to have different origins compared to the earlier MOTWs. So just like Ryuga, it could just be a special twist on the formula.

My pick is answer #1, but at this point, I'm sure the writers have just given up on establishing the lore for this confusing time travel show :D.

Yes, the original actress who portrayed Amane back in 2004, reprised her role for this show. She was 12 during Blade and is now 26 in Zi-O. They even made a joke at the beginning that Amane was now old enough to hook up with Hajime :eek:.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    SamuraiEchidna likes this.
  5. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

One thing I forgot to mention...
    Notice how Woz transforms, asks Geiz to get his watches back while DiEnd is subdued, and Geiz does nothing?
    Kind of a subtle reference to the first episode of Blade. I see what you're doing, Toei. And I like it. ;)

Also, the Blade costume has not aged well. Not sure if that was done on purpose or not, but the midsection of the suit (under the chest armor) looks more purple than blue. In fact, it kind of looks like a different material than the rest of the suit. Perhaps it's meant to represent a sun-faded look? Kenzaki was looking pretty battle damaged when he walked onto the scene...

The First Answer doesn't make ~complete~ sense, but it's probably the closest to being true unless future episodes say otherwise. And wow! That's a deep cut that I can appreciate! Way to go Toei giving her a callback like that. :D Stuff like this is why Zi-O is awesome.

6. Shougo B'Stard

Shougo B'Stard Would like to change his avatar

Home Page:
    It's not a total shock they got Amane's actress back -- she's still active, and she popped up in W and Fourze, so she's still been doing stuff for Toei. I'm not the biggest Blade fan, and I certainly didn't like Amane, but it's nice they brought her back, anyway.

SamuraiEchidna likes this.
  7. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

Oh MAN! Do I feel like an idiot... I figured it out!

It's my fault for not being in the right mind set. I thought the timelines were altered simply because Zi-O exists, but I forgot about the Time Jackers! They are the ones going into the past and changing things, not Zi-O. So if they don't time travel into the past, if they make Another Riders in the current year instead, the Riders of old keep their memories and everything. Nothing's changed, I just had a mental hiccup on how the premise of this show works.

Hopefully that will help me out; see you all in Episode 30!