[Comic] DCU Talk Up Thread!

Discussion in 'Super GeekStation Climax: THE STARCADE' started by Blue Saint, May 31, 2011.

1. Blue Saint

Blue Saint Member

So it's been 3 years since the reboot. This whole endeavor has become a real mixed bag of nuts hasn't. While I still stand by my belief that the New 52 was a good idea, DC's execution of the whole ordeal has been their greatest enemy. I still remember the excitement I had learning about all the new titles and being surprised at some of the chances DC was taking. Now I just feel like some great chances were wasted.

First I have to take issue with the tone they set for everything. It just comes off as joyless, which is weird for DC. I guess they want to shed their older image while also trying to match the image of the Nolan Batman movies. The problem is it's still DC and they made us believe a man could fly. DC is meant to fun, silly, and square-jawed. They are meant to have heroes that fight the good fight and are pillars of justice. Since the reboot a lot of that old spirit seems to have left the company, with characters no longer allowed to be happy or have meaningful relationships. I know a lot of people like to compare the reboot to early 90's comics, but at least those books had some sense of wonder.

While speaking of 90's comics trends let's bring up crossovers. One the original mission statements for the New 52 was to bring in new readers. The whole line would have "fresh" continuity and with a wide range of titles, they were casting a wide net. Another thing that helped was each book was self-contained, you didn't need to read 10 books each month just for one story. Then came Night of the Owls and since then it feels like there has been a crossover happening ever since. This is not a good method to gain and keep new readers. This is a big reason I ended up dropping most of my DC titles, I just wasn't interested enough in what I was reading to keep following all these crossovers. To compound this even further DC will soon have 3 weekly series. I think DC is now more antagonistic to new readers now than it's ever been.

Then there is little things like what is up with Pandora. How was she responsible for this new world after Flashpoint and why was she in every first issue? Where is that Justice league line-up we were promised with Element Woman and Lady Luck? These are just a few of the things I mean by missed chances. Also at the start the line was one of the most diverse for a mainstream in a while, but now it seems even more narrowly focused than before. The Wildstorm part of the universe has all but vanished. Along with the "Young Justice" that now has less titles under it than DC has Scooby-Doo books.

Alright with all that said, let's talk about what I think DC is trying to do right. First we have the new Batgirl creative team. They seem to be telling a fun and self-contained story, that is allowing Babs to rise out of the muck and mire. Plus we have one of the best redesigns of superhero that addresses a lot of issues with superhero costumes.

Next we have Gotham Academy that does something DC doesn't do enough, have a book that plays with the world they created. One of DC's biggest assets over Marvel is that they can control their world. Their isn't the world outside the window, it's the world of Gotham and Metropolis. Which I guess DC just realized since we are also getting the horror themed Gotham by Midnight. Which also seems interesting mainly since I am curious about the status of Simon Dark (does anyone else remember that book?). The thing about Gotham Academy that catches my attention the most is that it seems DC is trying to reach new readers with this book. And for some strange reason those books seem just to grab me.

I know I have said this before (in this very thread) and DC has dashed my hopes against the rocks, but I think the New 52 may be turning a corner. Very slowly but still it is some progress. Also who knows what the new year will bring. We have teases of new Crisis. DC is moving across country in April. Gail Simone is writing Secret Six again. The Multiversity is finally coming out and I can't wait for the Ultraa Comics issue.

2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I don't like the new mentality that everyone needs to come from some messed up life to be a hero. What ever happened to people being heroes just because they wanted to do good in the world?

3. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

So can Marvel. But they want to keep "real" feel for their comics, so mainstream arcs mostly end with status quo.

4. Skyknight

Skyknight Lurker

Do you do stand-up? 'Cause that's a great joke.

There is no consistency at Marvel in that department, has'nt been for decades, and some of the writers there seem more than aware and even proud of that fact these days.

5. Blue Saint

Blue Saint Member

What I meant was New York is always going to be New York, no matter how much Marvel tweak their version of New York it is always going to be New York. Where as take Gotham it can be whatever the story needs it to be and it is still be Gotham to us.

6. Blue Saint

Blue Saint Member

Well the New 52 is dead, well the branding away. Following Convergence DC is having a "mini" relaunch of their line. The new line-up will have 49 titles, 25 continuing titles and 24 new or refocused titles. And personally I am loving this new direction and it has elements which I feel should have been part of the New 52 since it's inception. I feel like DC is finally learning from it's mishandling of the New 52 and taking some notes from their more recent successes.

To start here are the 25 holdovers:
    Action Comics, by Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder;
    Aquaman, by Cullen Bunn and Trevor McCarthy;
    Batgirl, by Cameron Stewart, Brenden Fletcher, and Babs Tarr;
    Batman, by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo;
    Detective Comics, by Francis Manapul and Brian Buccelato;
    Batman/Superman, by Greg Pak and Ardian Syaf;
    Catwoman, by Genevieve Valentine and David Messina;
    Deathstroke, by Tony S. Daniel;
    The Flash, by Robert Venditti, Van Jensen, and Brett Booth;
    Gotham Academy, by Becky Cloonan, Brenden Fletcher, and Karl Kerschl;
    Gotham By Midnight, by Ray Fawkes and Juan Ferreyra;
    Grayson, by Tom King, Tim Seeley, and Mikel Janin;
    Green Arrow, by Ben Percy and Patrick Zircher;
    Green Lantern, by Robert Venditti and Billy Tan;
    Harley Quinn, by Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner, and Chad Hardin;
    Justice League, by Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok;
    Lobo, by Cullen Bunn and Cliff Richards;
    Secret Six, by Gail Simone and Dale Eaglesham;
    Sinestro, by Cullen Bunn and Bradley Walker;
    New Suicide Squad, by Sean Ryan and Carlos D’Anda;
    Superman, by Gene Luen Yang and John Romita, Jr.;
    Superman/Wonder Woman, by Peter J. Tomasi and Doug Mahnke;
    Teen Titans, by Will Pfeifer and Kenneth Rocafort;
    Wonder Woman, by Meredith Finch and David Finch;
    Justice League United, with a creative team to be announced.

Some creative changes a big one being Gene Luen Yang replacing Geoff Johns on Superman. Though with the recent increase in DC television output and the looming Darkseid War Johns may have just needed to cut back somewhere. Jeff Lemire absence is also worth noting, what it could mean is anyone's guess.

Well let's get onto the new books shall we:

Batman Beyond - written by Dan Jurgens, art by Bernard Chang
    The rumors seem to point to this being a Tim Drake vehicle leading out of the events of Future's End.

Black Canary - written by Brenden Fletcher, art by Annie Wu
    Seems like a sister book to the current Batgirl, with Dinah back in the fishnets and some sort of punk rock connection.

Constantine: The Hellblazer - written by Ming Doyle and James Tynion IV, art by Riley Rossmo
    A return to the old title is welcome and will probably be bit darker than the current run. Also on side note everyone should check out the TV show, really fun.

Cyborg - written by David Walker, art by Ivan Reis
    Finally, I was expecting this book for years. I mean even after being a new founding Leaguer and being central to Flashpoint, the Vibe still got an ongoing before Vic.

Dark Universe - written by James Tynion IV, art by Ming Doyle
    Seems to be a refocused Justice League Dark, more than likely dropping the team aspect and perhaps having a more anthology approach/

Green Lantern: Lost Army - written by Cullen Bunn, art by Jesus Saiz & Javi Pina
    Seems to be about the fall out of what ever is happening with the lantern books.

Doomed - written by Scott Lobdell, art by Javier Fernandez
    New character that looks like some monster, though really you have to wonder why Lobdell is still writing teenage heroes.

Earth 2: Society - written by Daniel Wilson, art by Jorge Jimenez
    The follow-up to World's End. I like Earth 2 and hopely this turns out well.

Dr. Fate - written by Paul Levitz, art by Sonny Liew
    Here's a bit of a surprise. I think Paul Levitz has a clause saying he gets to pick which title to work on since stepping down. My one question Earth 1 or 2 Dr. Fate.

Justice League of America - written and drawn by Bryan Hitch
    Another big grab by DC, though has Hitch ever written anything before.

Justice League 3001 - written by Keith Giffen, art by Howard Porter
    Same book, new number.

Martian Manhunter - written by Rob Williams, art by Ben Oliver
    Hopefully he gets a new costume.

Midnighter - written by Steve Orlando, art by ACO
    Seems like it could be fun if played right. Also he is sole representation of Wildstorm in whole line now. How is it so hard to come out with a WildCATs book.

Mystic U - written by Alisa Kwitney, artist to be revealed
    No clue, DC even said this is probably not the final title.

Omega Men - written by Tom King, art by Barnaby Bagenda
    Lobo is around so these guys had to show up sooner or later.

Prez - written by Mark Russell, art by Ben Caldwell
    Prez. A new Prez comic in 2015. But now Prez is a girl elected by Twitter. You know what I am in for an issue.

Red Hood/Arsenal - written by Scott Lobdell, art by Denis Medri
    Finally those two can have some alone time without that women getting in the way.

Robin, Son of Batman - written and drawn by Patrick Gleason
    Refocused Batman and Robin, solely about Damian.

Starfire - written by Jimmy Palmiotti & Amanda Conner, art by Emanuela Lupacchino
    Or DC's official apology for the mess that was Red Hood and the Outlaws.

We Are Robin - written by Lee Bermejo, art by Khary Randolph
    No real clue, but from the art it seems to be about some group of kids dressed up as Robin. Maybe something along the line of the Sons of Batman.

These are four titles are possibly mini-series, DC isn't being clear.

Bat-Mite - written by Dan Jurgens, art by Corin Howell
    Offbeat choice.

Bizarro - written by Heath Corson, art by Gustavo Duarte
    Seems to be more classic Bizarro than New 52 Bizarro, but I could be wrong everyone (even Lex) loved that lug.

Harley Quinn/Power Girl - written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner, art by Stephane Roux
    Spin-off of the recent arc in Harley Quinn.

Section Eight - written by Garth Ennis, art by John McCre
    Spin-off of Hitman. Just going to be another exercise in Ennis telling you why superhero are stupid.

We are getting a little more variety in subject matter, tone and creative talent. I hope DC is turning a corner here. They are trying to reach out to new demographics which was really a misstep with the initial New 52. There are still somethings that baffle me, seriously David Finch on Wonder Woman, but I feel DC is trying to learn and grow out of their old methodologies. My one hope is that when ever a second wave comes about they don't retreat backwards and still give new concepts a shot. They need to be willing to take a chance one and awhile. And it may just be me, but I willing to support them.

My final question is this, you have Supergirl TV show in the wings; why no new Supergirl book? Though to be fair we haven't got a new GCPD book to go along Gotham either. I would love Gordan/Bullock book. Hell I want Bullock action figure.