Are young people in super sentais representative of japanese youth?

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by jackhunter, Nov 20, 2011.

1. jackhunter

jackhunter Member

Hello, i would like to know if teenagers and kids we see in super sentais are the same in reality.

I know the difference between reality and fiction,thats not the point, my questions is more about how they are mentally.
    In super sentais, even if they have responsabilities or hard work, they dont look so stressed.

During my last year at college,during history lessons,we were taught that children in Japan are very very stressed, much more than us, and work very very hard, and that this is why a lot of young people commit suicide.
    Is this image of reality true, and then,how do kids even manage to find time to watch sentais?

To give you an idea of what i think, japanse kids are depicted as all being "omura go of liveman" in history books.

2. Savior Den-o

Savior Den-o The Meteor has landed

Seeing how the people in AGHS (Fourze high School) are happy-go-lucky free, no.

But, that gloomy man we saw in 199 Hero could be depicted as one.

3. lazycoconut

lazycoconut I liked him when he wasn't a god

Super Sentai and Kamen Rider air on a Sunday morning, so kids would be off school for the weekend. They're also aimed at a pretty young audience (around 3 to 8 years old for Sentai, slightly older for Kamen Rider) who aren't yet in high school and aren't facing the worst of the exam pressure.

They do show the heroes helping kids that are facing typical school-age problems: boy/girl stuff, bullying, lack of confidence, not being picked for a sports team etc. But I shouldn't think Rangers or Riders are intended to be realistic, any more than the characters in any other superhero story. They're more like an idealised representation of the kind of qualities that you would hope for a kid to have (kind, compassionate, brave, values friendship and moral principles, etc. etc.) And they get to do all the cool shit that viewers wish to do

4. Smilodon

Smilodon Friendship and the Cosmos.

I feel like dramas are more accurate representation of Japanese kids. Not those silly dramas like Hana Kimi, Ouran Host, Buzzer Beat etc, but dramas like Watashitachi no Kyokashou and whatnot are a bit more accurate.

Japanese children are subjected to enormous academic pressure, and some kids are sent to tutoring from elementary school in order to prepare them for middle school and high school. It is true that this pressure causes some children to commit suicide. Their whole child lives are devoted to academics mostly, as most kids are developed countries today.

5. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

AGHS is more akin to a sanitarium than a school anyway >>

Precisely. Something to look up to and emulate.

6. Black Ranger RX

Black Ranger RX I don't have low self esteem.

Home Page:
    Y'know, I asked my Japanese friend if he's ever watched the epileptic episode of Pokemon (y'know the one with those flashing red and blue lights that got 700 Japanese children sent to hospital)..

He said no. The reason being is because at that time he was not aloud to watch any TV whatsoever because he had to concentrate on his studies. Not even 4 seconds.

I think that sucks!! Sure it MIGHT have saved him from having an epileptic seisure from a Pokemon episode but dedicating your entire life to sitting on your ass with a pen or pencil in your hand constently reading and writing about... Adolf Hitler did this, King Henry the 8th did that, how E = MC Squared, Lattitude and Longitude, etc.. I think that's sad.

Besides that, I also believe video games, cartoons, pop music, etc can also be educational.

7. Jacky392000

Jacky392000 Open Your Amazons!

all of the Sentai cast members of today are youngsters who watched Super Sentai during their childhood days. so basically yes, they're the representatives of the kids who are watching Super Sentai today. who knows there might be kids today who would grow up and appear in a future series.

8. Gokaichanger

Gokaichanger Member

That made no sense. They are ACTORS who play characters on the show not the actual people.

9. FieryRed

FieryRed Minato Ascending

Amanogawa High featured in Fourze is obviously a fictional high school, but do you guys think Japanese kids who watched Fourze would wish that this school is real? It seems like it's a very cool place to be, with hunky studs and hot cheerleaders roaming the campus, and even the geeky girls are cute! :anime:

10. SapphireBlue

SapphireBlue Lurker

My friend has been to Japan and he said that students have school from Monday to Saturday, so maybe that's why Japanese children are so stressed. I think their school hours are longer too.

11. Eiji Hino

Eiji Hino Someday...once more

i imagine japanese youth are similar to neon genesis evangelion. with the whole life sucks because we're young sort of thing. fourze is too happy go lucky for a high school anyway.

12. Jacky392000

Jacky392000 Open Your Amazons!

I'm saying that the actors/actresses are fans of Sentai themselves and they actually watched the franchise before being involved in it. :redface2: forgive me for not reading the first post properly then.

13. Araki

Araki always henshining'

well Fourze is just an exception
    it is a clear cartoonized/westernized view of high school life

14. Scissors

Scissors Member

The way the youth is presented in toku, even those who are meant to be jerks, are presented in a pretty light-hearted manner compared to those in real-life Japan.
    You are not going to run into an Eiji-type or a Hina-type that easily. I am sure they exist, but they are rare.
    Westerners always think of Japanese people as being over-friendly and polite, with stress as their only problem.

In the 2 years I lived in Japan, I saw a very different picture. Especially after getting more and more together with young Japanese people.
    There was a lot of backstabbing and gossip going on. Everyone was afraid of getting the wrong reputation and become unpopular.
    Every night, the streets were full of drunk teens fighting and taking their stress and frustrations out on each other.

The stress factor was there, but I was shocked to discover how bad they actually treated each other.
    Being unpopular in a Japanese high school is not something you want to experience.
    I befriended a guy in Sendai who was without friends and frozen out completely. The reason? His parents were poor.

15. lazycoconut

lazycoconut I liked him when he wasn't a god

Didn't you tell a story on here about going out with friends and being shocked to hear that they were insulting the western exchange students behind their backs?

Eiji may not be realistic but he's a better example to young kids than the type of person you describe :sweat:

16. Scissors

Scissors Member

They sure did, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same behind my back as well.
    Especially the girls seemed to love the fact that they could easily get western guys to give them money and buy them things.
    Some of them had western boyfriends, simply because it made them more special in the eyes of their friends.
    The sad thing was, that there were so many European and American guys there who were so happy to meet Japanese girls, because they thought it was not part of the culture to care about looks and stuff like that, and the girls were doing a pretty good job at making them feel strong and handsome, so they were very generous to them in return,
    but when you heard the girls talk together, they commented a lot on how easy the guys were, how stupid they looked etc.

I don't want to generalize. There were many incredibly sweet people there. I just wanted to point out that shows like KR and SS are very good at creating a more "innocent" world.
    I can understand why they would do so. Its for kids, and sometimes it can be nice to "get away" from it all. KR and SS are not meant to be social commentaries.
    I would say though, that Hibiki made a fair representation of the Japanese youth. The writers were even bold enough to have Asumu's mother be a divorced woman working as a taxi driver. That is not something you see often in a toksatsu. I have never seen divorce been brought up in any other japanese kid show (at least not the live-action ones)

17. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Incidentally, she was probably my least favorite character. She always came off as one of those "parent trying to act young and looking stupid doing it" types. And by chance I just recently watched the Megaranger episode where Chisato's grandmother tries to set her up with a potential husband. An old woman dressing like an eccentric kid is.... not very welcome.