Anime Expo 2013 (July 4-7).

Discussion in 'The Power Chamber' started by Aoiblue, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Aoiblue

Aoiblue Raxbait: Hip

Took 2.5 hours to get my badge D;

2. virus

virus Member

So that was the line I saw outside of my workplace today.

3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Here are my pictures of our first day in LA (combine the link as for some reason it was loading a video when I tried to post it in whole). Obviously AX has not started yet, but my god the prereg line was looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong.

http://s1366.photobucket

.com/user/DrKainn/slideshow/LA%20Anime%20Expo%202013/Day%201

BTW, people who live in LA are god damned assholes!!!!

4. virus

virus Member

You're welcome!

5. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Sorry, but my god. There have been people just shouting obscenities out of the car like, "We're white rich kids ****ers!!", people riding their motorcycles between cars, people running across the highway, a guy got out of his car to yell at a lady for not making a right turn on red, then there were all of the cosplaying scumbags on Hollywood Blvd that would only let you take a picture if you gave them a "Tip," and poeple handing out "free" CDs, but if you told them you did not have cash on you to "tip" them, they wanted their CD back, etc. It is disgusting. Never have I seen such worthless trash before.

BTW, Aoi, yeah, we were in line for about 2 and a half hours. We got there just after 330 and got in the building at 6. It was a line to get into the line that led to the line to get into the building. The scanning and badge process was interesting and I wish my local convention would move to that method.

6. angelicnoir

angelicnoir Super Moderator

So glad I decided not to pick up my badge until late σ^_^;

Also, do note that it is legal for motorcycles to drive their bikes between cars in Los Angeles and if you were in the Hollywood area, that place is considered a tourist trap and therefore always filled with assholes.

Honestly, if you come to LA, go to small neighborhoods instead of "tourist" places. I should probably write guides or something because I am very proud of my city and jerks like that really annoy the crap out of me for giving LA a bad rap.

7. ChristHBK

ChristHBK The Straight-Edge Rider

I usually just lurk here on HJU, but my friend you just saw some bad apples.. Hi, I'm Chris self-proclaimed example of a friendly born and raised Angeleno, dont let dumbasses ruin the experience for you, most of us are friendly DTE people... =D

Oh and ON SITE REG is the way to go for DAY ZERO pickup... I was in and out in 5 mins.

8. Gokai_Red

Gokai_Red Member

I'll be going Friday only since I am busy on the weekends, so I will be taking lots of pics of the cosplayers. :)

Edit: 2-1/2 hour for badge?!? I may have to get there really early tomorrow then.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  9. DoGu

DoGu Member

First time, and it was pretty cool. Although I had to wait in line in the morning to get my badge... I didn't come in time on Wednesday. It was pretty bad, but not terrible. Got in line at 8:30, got the badges at around 10. Glad nothing started until later.

Omg.. So I had to go to the bathroom. When I came out, I was freaking speechless...

This person (I'm pretty sure it was a girl) had the most awesomeness Sora from Kingdom Hearts cosplay outfit ever. It's like you took Sora right out of the game. I was in awe.

And about Wednesday Day 0. We came late and we heard someone shout the pre-reg line was closed and we had to come back tomorrow. But we had to walk past and this lady kept repeating to us that the line was closed probably 4-5 times. Was that really necessary...? I mean we heard her the first time.

And that artist gallery section... wow. You could spend the entire day just looking at stuff there. I saw some neat stuff that I'm planning on getting tomorrow.

10. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

OUtside of my drunk ass friend losing my camera battery charger and now I have no camera for the rest of the weekend, I have to rely on a shitty ass cell phone, today was a good day. Got to see Bosch's panel, which started really late. Got Sabat's, Inoue's, and Vic's autographs. Spent A LOT in the dealer's room ($282 at Bluefin's booth alone, and then my g/f bought some from them) and got some great pictures.

Again, here is the (broken) link:

http://s1366.photobucket.

com/user/DrKainn/slideshow/

11. ShadowNeko003

ShadowNeko003 Lurker

Home Page:
    Where is this Toku meet up your spoke of on Sat?

12. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Well, I hate to say this, but AX is single handily the second worst convention I have ever been to. The staff is rude, they have no idea what is going on because no one communicates with each other, not a single panel or autograph session has started on time, they are very disorganized, you ask one of them a question and they either give you a completely different answer from the guy before or they just tell you they don't know, etc. It has ruined my enjoyment of this convention as a whole and I doubt anything is going to change tomorrow. I was really looking forward to it and I don't feel I have gotten even half of my money's worth out of it. I should NOT have to line up 3 hours before a panel just to have a chance to maybe getting into it. In fact, they should NOT be letting people line up that early for a panel!!

Anyway, my camera charger was retrieved as someone turned it in to Lost and Found. With that said, here are my pics from today:

Day 3:

com/user/DrKainn/slideshow/LA%20Anime%20Expo%202013/Day%203

13. KRAmazon

KRAmazon Member

Yo!

Not sure if this is the place to put this, but here are some pictures I gathered from AX and the Toku meet up. I went as Gentaro :)

http://imgur.com/a/AohW7

14. Alvetica

Alvetica Let's Morphin

Sorry, but my god. There have been people just shouting obscenities out of the car like, "We're white rich kids ****ers!!",
    -Never heard of that
    people riding their motorcycles between cars,
    -that's normal
    people running across the highway,
    -the freeway? That's weird.
    a guy got out of his car to yell at a lady for not making a right turn on red,
    -I would have just honked. Stupid lady.
    then there were all of the cosplaying scumbags on Hollywood Blvd that would only let you take a picture if you gave them a "Tip," and poeple handing out "free" CDs, but if you told them you did not have cash on you to "tip" them, they wanted their CD back, etc.
    -Those people are in NYC as well. What really surprised me was that Las Vegas has them now. I was there during the 120+ degree weekend and could not comprehend how those people survived.
    -It is disgusting. Never have I seen such worthless trash before.
    Do you get out much?

Sorry your experience in my town was so horrible.

I would have gone to AX, but I'm really exhausted from that trip to Vegas, which was preceded by a drive to San Francisco. Besides, all my monies are going to Comic-Con.

15. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

The Final Day

com/user/DrKainn/slideshow/LA%20Anime%20Expo%202013/Day%205

OVerall, despite my frustrations, I am glad to have experienced both LA and AX. In the long run, I did enjoy myself, but for everything good, there was something bad. Not sure if I will ever go back to AX again, and I'm not sure I ever want to go back to LA, but like I said, getting to experience it was fantastic.

16. ShadowNeko003

ShadowNeko003 Lurker

Home Page:
    Yeah, volunteering at AX is just bad. I've never volunteered for it, but from just experiences with the lines and everything, I wouldn't recommend it.

And, yes, I would say that the staff at the autograph area were running around like headless chickens on Friday. They did get their act together on Saturday though.

As for panels and autograph not starting on time, sometimes it's the Guests not being there on time.

The lines at AX this is year was just horrible. I spent the majority of my time on Thur and Fri in line. They should ask the people at SDCC on how to run a con.

17. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

While Saturday was better, I was still denied an autograph from Kise because the lady kept telling people no more sketches and people were still doing it instead of letting those who only wanted his signature to go first. As such, those of us that waited an hour and a half to get his signature were then told to leave because it was 6 and the Exhibition Hall was shutting down.

18. ShadowNeko003

ShadowNeko003 Lurker

Home Page:
    Sketches?

I was in the line for Kazuhiko Inoue on Thursday AND Friday. Turns out he was doing personalized autographs and picture (?) on Thursday. He was doing the same on Friday but stop about 30 minutes before the end. Then the guy was like "no more pics/personalized" and the line went much faster.